shape
carat
color
clarity

Advice on round diamond purchase for engagement ring

ben27

Rough_Rock
Hi guys,

I am narrowing down my engagement purchase and was hoping you might be able to steer me further in the right direction.

I am looking for a around a 1.2 ct. Excellent Cut, G-I colour, SI1 (eye clean) or above in a solitaire (tiffany style) platinum setting for around the AUD $9-10K mark all up (US$6-7k).

I have looked extensively on sites like JA and seem to be able to find a pretty decent array of diamonds at or around this criteria but really hoping to try and narrow it down to something that is going to give me the most bang for my buck as far as brilliance and scintillation.

This seems pretty close, assuming that the inclusion isn't visible.

http://www.jamesallen.com/loose-diamonds/round-cut/1.15-carat-i-color-vs2-clarity-excellent-cut-sku-803217

Thanks for your time .. really appreciate any advice you might be able to give me :D

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock

ADN

Shiny_Rock
Trade
Hey mate – I can’t comment on this stone as I’m in the trade and I can’t speak about individual stones - but here are a few tips for you to consider when you’re searching.
Round brilliants will hide colour and inclusions pretty well (especially if they are a well cut stone). So you can sacrifice a bit in clarity (maybe go an eye clean SI1 rather than VS), and colour (H/I rather than G+) to bump up the weight if you find a stone with an excellent/ideal cut grade.
Try to look for stones that are table clean, or with soft/colourless inclusions that will be eye clean. Or try to find inclusions off the girdle that you might be able to cover with a claw...or as Gypsy calls it 'prongable'...love it! :D
With you’re budget, and to save a few quid, you might want to try and find something a bit over 1.10ct but under the 1.20ct mark (with diamonds there is generally a price bump once certain weights are reached – 1/1.2/1.5/etc.) – and you won’t notice any face up mm size difference between a 1.1ct & a 1.2ct stone.
If you end up buying from overseas, just a couple of things to make sure you factor into your budget so you don’t get caught out:
*The exchange rate – we’ve just taken a pounding in the last week and are sitting at around AUD0.69:1USD...
*You’ll want to check with customs about paying duty and gst to get the stone into the country (you don’t want to get a surprise call asking for more money before your stone will be released) – there are different associated costs for loose stones vs set and finished jewellery, so you may want to work out what fits your situation ahead of time as it may influence how you get the goods into the country.
*International bank wire fees or credit card fees (depending on your payment method) - your bank/card issuer will be able to tell you.
*Bank or credit card exchange rate - - you might be able to negotiate a better rate with your bank on the day if you speak to them in advance.
Regardless of whether you buy something from here or from overseas, with approx. AUD10k you should be able to get a pretty schmick stone.
Good luck – hope this helps

ben27

Rough_Rock
Thanks for the response guys...

I assume when you are talking "conservative" you are referring to inclusions that are away from the table?

Those both look like great suggestions but with tax and duty is going to be pushing it a bit further than I might be able to stretch.

Someone else has recommended me a couple of others below but these don't seem to score anywhere near as high on the HCA and I'd be worried about the clarity..

www.jamesallen.com/loose-diamonds/round-cut/1.20-carat-h-color-si2-clarity-excellent-cut-sku-385040?a_aid=dmnd1357&chan=x
www.jamesallen.com/loose-diamonds/round-cut/1.08-carat-i-color-si2-clarity-excellent-cut-sku-816011?a_aid=dmnd1357&chan=x

If I need to wind the price back a bit would it be better to compromise on carat, colour or clarity for a stone around this size?

Thanks again for your help.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
I can't make the decision on which of those three C's you should compromise on. I can only tell you what I'd do, which depends on the stones that are available. I'll see what I can find. As to the ones "recommended" to you:

http://www.jamesallen.com/loose-diamonds/round-cut/1.20-carat-h-color-si2-clarity-excellent-cut-sku-385040?a_aid=dmnd1357&chan=x Too deep. Doesn't look like it's weight. Pass.

http://www.jamesallen.com/loose-diamonds/round-cut/1.08-carat-i-color-si2-clarity-excellent-cut-sku-816011?a_aid=dmnd1357&chan=x :knockout: :knockout: :knockout: Gross.

I'll find you best I can for less.

ben27

Rough_Rock
I'm far from an expert but I came to same conclusion on those two Gypsy :???:

Thank you so much - I look forward to seeing what you can come up with as I'm starting to get a bit lost!

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Small but lovely and budget friendly: http://www.jamesallen.com/loose-diamonds/round-cut/1.03-carat-i-color-vs1-clarity-ideal-cut-sku-362098

See if you can get an IS on this one. http://www.jamesallen.com/loose-diamonds/round-cut/1.16-carat-i-color-vs1-clarity-excellent-cut-sku-776324 Numbers are borderline so you need the Idealscope (IS).

http://www.jamesallen.com/loose-diamonds/round-cut/1.05-carat-i-color-vs2-clarity-excellent-cut-sku-776202 Numbers are more conservative than the last, but it is smaller.

To compare relative size look at measurements not weight.

ben27

Rough_Rock
Thanks... will see if I can get the IS for the original one I posted and the ones you recommend and make a decision from there...

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
ben27|1452745649|3975766 said:
Thanks... will see if I can get the IS for the original one I posted and the ones you recommend and make a decision from there...

JA has sucked when it comes to IS and ASETs. Good luck.

ben27

Rough_Rock
Cheers - I figured as much but will see what they say.

If not do you think it is safe enough to trust the certificate, pictures and HCA results? Anything else in particular I should look at?

ADN

Shiny_Rock
Trade
ben27|1452748433|3975794 said:

If not do you think it is safe enough to trust the certificate, pictures and HCA results? Anything else in particular I should look at?

Hey mate - if you're not comfortable relying on one labs 'cut' grade, you can cross reference a stones numbers from a GIA cert with AGS (or vice-versa) to check if they also fall into their 'ideal' cut grade (this will give you a cut grade from two labs with which to base your decision). If you find a stone that falls into the sweet spot of both ex/ideal, chances are that you've got a very well cut stone that won't have any noticeable light performance issues.
Hope this helps

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
ADN|1452755213|3975828 said:

Hey mate - if you're not comfortable relying on one labs 'cut' grade, you can cross reference a stones numbers from a GIA cert with AGS (or vice-versa) to check if they also fall into their 'ideal' cut grade (this will give you a cut grade from two labs with which to base your decision). If you find a stone that falls into the sweet spot of both ex/ideal, chances are that you've got a very well cut stone that won't have any noticeable light performance issues.
Hope this helps

I don't know his contact information. But you could also call ADN if he's an Aussie and see what he can do for you. I've never worked with him before. But he seems to have a good head on his shoulders. :wink2:

ADN

Shiny_Rock
Trade
Gypsy|1452757984|3975830 said:
ADN|1452755213|3975828 said:

Hope this helps

I don't know his contact information. But you could also call ADN if he's an Aussie and see what he can do for you. I've never worked with him before. But he seems to have a good head on his shoulders. :wink2:

Thanks Gypsy - appreciate the vote of confidence ;-)
Came across this and couldn't help thinking it's exactly like how PS members view your knowledge and input on this forum. :lol:
gypsy.jpg

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
ADN|1452834580|3976238 said:
Thanks Gypsy - appreciate the vote of confidence ;-)
Came across this and couldn't help thinking it's exactly like how PS members view your knowledge and input on this forum. :lol:
gypsy.jpg

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

So not true. Only when they need something from me. Other wise its: "Gypsy this" and "Gypsy that" and none of it is flattering. And I'm okay with that. I know I'm an acquired taste and I am happy with that. You're still new here and a lot of people have been on their best behavior. But we get into hair pulling knock down drag out fights here. And then it's all "I've been in the industry for blah, blah, blah years you should worship the ground I walk on. What do you know, you HOBBYIST, you! Bow down before me!" And then they get upset when we ignore them and report us to the moderators.

But you got one thing 100% right. I am a cat at heart.

ringo865

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Meow. Gypsy rocks!

AdaBeta27

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Gypsy|1452741538|3975743 said:

^ That stone is a wonderful example of a BAD set of twinning wisps. OP, in general, twinning wisps can be a great inclusion to have and they often are eye-clean stones, so PS will recommend them for consideration. But there's a good discussion thread on here where Garry says twinning wisps can adversely affect brilliance. Comments like "additional twinning wisps not shown" and "additional clouds not shown," especially in SI2, may mean a hazy looking diamond. With the SI@ grade, the grading has been tightened up compared to say, 10 or 11 years ago. There are FEW eyeclean SI2 diamonds. And most of the eye-clean ones will immediately be snatched up for in-house stones. SI2 can be a great value, and a twinning wisp SI2 might be eye-clean and also not hazy. SI2 can be a great value, but it's getting increasingly difficult to find eye-clean ones.

AdaBeta27

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
The other side of Gypsy. ;-) You go, girl! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

karate2.jpg

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results