shape
carat
color
clarity

advice on resetting stones from estate piece

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

sashton

Rough_Rock
Thought I'd throw this out there for your comments and thoughts...

I'm acquiring an estate piece (not old, 1970s) with seven .08 ct diamonds and one .24 ct diamond (all H, VS). I'd like to have the diamonds reset (they're currently in a wild swirling gold design) into a simple and straightforward ring, preferably in plat or WG. I've called around to a few local jewelers to try to get a rough concept of what this would cost... the daring jewelers said anywhere from $200 up (White Gold)... the conservative jewelers refused to say anything without seeing the ring.

Questions for you:
* I've seen simple settings on the web-- if I bought one (to accomodate the correct size of diamonds, etc.), do you think a jeweler would reset my stones into it?
* One jeweler quoted labor of $25/stone for prong setting, $35/stone for channel... does this sound right?
* I may want to do a custom setting... anyone have suggestions for a jeweler in the Wash, DC area (or North. VA) who would be willing to do a nice, custom setting at a reasonable price?

Thanks in advance for your help... if you can't tell, I'm new at this!!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results