shape
carat
color
clarity

Advice on possible purchase

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

palla

Rough_Rock
Am going to look at a 1.5, SI1 J round cut stone today. I am looking to purchase a 1.5 diamond, but don't want to make a mistake.

Any advice, pointers prior to seeing?

All help appreciated!

Jess

Rough_Rock
Well, since you are going to look at it today, I would say just trust your eyes and see it in all kinds of light, not just the store lighting. Make sure to ask to see a grading report. If you have time, I would order an Ideal Scope from this site to take with you shopping in the future. If you are looking at a local retailer, I would check the prices on the web. You will definitely pay less for a high quality stone on the web, but you might want a local jeweler to take care of you with repairs, cleaning, etc. Let us know what you think of it! Personally I would like to know what you think about the J color...I kind of think a J would be ok with me, but I would like to know your opinion of it. good luck!:wavey:

palla

Rough_Rock
:-o :appl:
OMG....went to look at the diamond, and the one I was going to look at was sold this a.m. He showed me the stone anyway, and it was awesome!

So, we proceed to look at 2 different stones and I purchased the following:

VS2
H color

It is GIA certified and he's mounting & sizing today. Will pick up on my way home!

We looked at it outside, inside, through loop and under scope. If this is a VS2, I'd hate to see what a VVS1 or IF looks like! There was NOTHING to see!

Cut is VG, etc. etc.

I am soooooo excited. He will do the appraisal and suggested I insure for $15000-$17000:bigsmile:

Palla

missy430

Rough_Rock
How much did you pay for that nice rock you just bought??
:))

palla

Rough_Rock
I don't know if I should say.

What do you think a fair price would be?

missy430

Rough_Rock
I am not an expert..but my guess is..If it is a good cut (the measurements)
I say about $7,500 - $8,500
Am I close??

:twirl:

palla

Rough_Rock
You are too high

it was in the $6 range.

I GET TO GO PICK IT UP IN 45 MINUTES!!!

It has been set in a gold cathederal setting.

When I looked at it under the scope I saw absolutely NOT ONE FLAW. I know there has to be one, but darned if I could see it!!!!

Perhaps I can scan it tomorrow and put the picture on here. I'll try!

Caratz

Shiny_Rock
Wow. The cheapest 1.5 ct H-VS2 round brilliant I could find on pricescope is about $7600. I am surprised to hear that a B&M was able to discount more than 10% less than the cheapest internet broker . . .

missy430

Rough_Rock
Well Palla..you are picking up your diamond at this moment... WOW how did you get that price?? I am upgrading my diamond and am picking one out tomorrow!
Good Luck!! Tell us all about it!

:wavey:

palla

Rough_Rock
:love: :love: :love: :love:
I LOVE my diamond!!!!!

I picked it up yesterday afternoon and it is everything, and more, that I wanted. Now, I have waited 26 years for a diamond, and it was worth waiting for! (Been married 26 years...couldn't afford one!)

The person I bought the stone from is an independent broker. He showed me LOTS of different stones. He deals out of his house, selling to individual parties as well as jewelry stores around here. He showed me his actual invoice on what he paid for the stone, then charged me approx. 10% over his cost. I couldn't believe HOW MANY stones he had to choose from. Then when I decided, he picked up the phone, called someone in NY and told them to send the original GIA cert. A well-known gentleman. Also, I work for a large corp. and several of our top-end execs have purchased from him.

He is a certified appriaser and appraised my ring for $15,000. That paperwork is also coming. He mounted & sized the stone himself, and I must go back in 30-60 days as he wants to check it out - then every 6 months for checking, cleaning & polishing.

It is absolutely georgous and I couldn't be happier. I was appalled at what a mark-up jewelry stores have.

The GIA specs on my stone are:

Shape/Cut. Style = Round Brilliant
Measurements = 7.63 - 7.69 x 4.46
Weight = 1.52 carat
Depth = 58.2%
Table = 54%
Girdle = Thin to Medium, Faceted
Culet = None
Polish = Good
Symmetry = Good
Clarity = VS2
Color = J (I SEE NO YELLOW TINT & compared to higher grade)
Flourescence = None

The diagram of top/bottom of diamond show no inclusions and when I looked at under the loop & scope, I didn't see any, and I'm not an inexperienced looker, although not a pro either!

Anyway, I am thrilled with the stone, mount, price, EVERYTHING!!!

Jess

Rough_Rock
Many congratulations on your purchase! I am glad you are so happy with it! and, thank you for addressing the J color question from before. Your diamond guy wouldn't be anywhere close to Arkansas would he?:Up_to_something: Probably not, anyway, thanks for sharing!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results