shape
carat
color
clarity

Advice on picking up right earrings

tote13

Rough_Rock
I am looking for a pair of diamond which has excellence fire, brilliance and scintillation with total carat weight of 1.70. I want them to be above 6mm. I have decided on size but not sure on what is the best option in terms of clarity and color to achieve excellent sparkle.
I am looking at these options:
H color VS2
G color SI1
G color VS2

Also, do you suggest to purchase it from WF or Brian Gavin?

Thanks!

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I went with WF because I found their upgrade policies a little more flexible and generous. I think stones from both vendors equally amazing. Customer service has been great as well. WF prices were a little better than BGD when I was buying.

color and clarity are so subjective. For me, I was willing to go down to an SI1 so I could get the size (1.2) and color (G) I wanted. Since it's on my ear, I think the clarity issue bothers me less. (I have mental issues with clarity.) Plenty of other people are less color sensitive.

What about you?

tote13

Rough_Rock
I went with WF because I found their upgrade policies a little more flexible and generous. I think stones from both vendors equally amazing. Customer service has been great as well. WF prices were a little better than BGD when I was buying.

color and clarity are so subjective. For me, I was willing to go down to an SI1 so I could get the size (1.2) and color (G) I wanted. Since it's on my ear, I think the clarity issue bothers me less. (I have mental issues with clarity.) Plenty of other people are less color sensitive.

What about you?
I am definitely color sensitive.
Does clarity has anything to do with how diamond sparkles?

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I am definitely color sensitive.
Does clarity has anything to do with how diamond sparkles?
I wanna find a post from another place to cut and paste. Can any PSers help with previous long explanations? Short answer is YES. but if you are working with WF ACA in particular and look for eye clean only, then generally NO.
So there are certain inclusions of SI1 stones that can cause a diamond to be less sparkly. WF will help you find SI1s with inclusions that will not affect the brilliance and performance of a stone. That's where you get a deal cause you're paying for an SI1 that does not have diminished performance. And WF's ACAs are super ideals. Expert Selection are super close to super ideal and also a great option for the price. Lastly, you can call WF and tell them exactly what you want and someone will help you choose the best options. Their team is very customer focused and very honest. I really suck at giving a good explanation. Hopefully some more eloquent PSers can explain more.

And I'm very color sensitive with modern round brilliants too. I had to find an AGS stone to match my GIA F, VS1. WF found me a G, SI1 that matched very well. Color was not an issue. And if you receive it and don't like it, you can return. 30 days. Don't forget to read up on the upgrade policy on their website. It's very generous compared to many others.

Last edited:

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Cut has more to do with "sparkle" than clarity. There are some inclusions which are usually down in the SI2 level like clouds or twining wisp
that may affect the brilliance of the stone. The GIA report will say something like clarity based on clouds not shown.

You wont find any stones like that at Whiteflash. Their stones are "vetted" and will not make it into the ACA, ES, or PS categories if they
have any clarity issues like described above. You didnt mention what your budget was. Here are a few stones you might take a look at.
WF can take pictures of them side by side.

Hs- I would have WF help me with which ones match up better
https://www.whiteflash.com/loose-diamonds/round-cut-loose-diamond-3025058.htm
https://www.whiteflash.com/loose-diamonds/round-cut-loose-diamond-4109134.htm
https://www.whiteflash.com/loose-diamonds/round-cut-loose-diamond-4094460.htm
Gs
https://www.whiteflash.com/loose-diamonds/round-cut-loose-diamond-4063435.htm
https://www.whiteflash.com/loose-diamonds/round-cut-loose-diamond-4094458.htm

All to together
https://www.whiteflash.com/loose-diamonds/compare/?idnos=4094458,4063435,4109134,4094460,3025058

tote13

Rough_Rock
Cut has more to do with "sparkle" than clarity. There are some inclusions which are usually down in the SI2 level like clouds or twining wisp
that may affect the brilliance of the stone. The GIA report will say something like clarity based on clouds not shown.

You wont find any stones like that at Whiteflash. Their stones are "vetted" and will not make it into the ACA, ES, or PS categories if they
have any clarity issues like described above. You didnt mention what your budget was. Here are a few stones you might take a look at.
WF can take pictures of them side by side.

Hs- I would have WF help me with which ones match up better
https://www.whiteflash.com/loose-diamonds/round-cut-loose-diamond-3025058.htm
https://www.whiteflash.com/loose-diamonds/round-cut-loose-diamond-4109134.htm
https://www.whiteflash.com/loose-diamonds/round-cut-loose-diamond-4094460.htm
Gs
https://www.whiteflash.com/loose-diamonds/round-cut-loose-diamond-4063435.htm
https://www.whiteflash.com/loose-diamonds/round-cut-loose-diamond-4094458.htm

All to together
https://www.whiteflash.com/loose-diamonds/compare/?idnos=4094458,4063435,4109134,4094460,3025058
Thank you so much. This is really helpful. I have my budget around 12k.

diamondnewbieny

Brilliant_Rock
Whiteflash pricing is a little better most of the time. However BG sometimes have promotion, in April they have the diamond month promotion and it was 8% off for their diamond under 1ct. Then last year during Halloween, they have 10% off for all their diamonds.

With the 8% off I was able to get bigger diamond And better clarity with BG compare to WF. Right now BG is having a new promotion too I believe. So I went with BG.

Another thing I like about BG is that they have different videos for the diamond, such as sparkle, brilliance and regular lighting videos.

Last edited:

tote13

Rough_Rock
Whiteflash pricing is a little better most of the time. However BG sometimes have promotion, in April they have the diamond month promotion and it was 8% off for their diamond under 1ct. Then last year during Halloween, they have 10% off for all their diamonds.

With the 8% off I was able to get bigger diamond And better clarity with BG compare to WF. Right now BG is having a new promotion too I believe. So I went with BG.

Another thing I like about BG is that they have different videos for the diamond, such as sparkle, brilliance and regular lighting videos.
what about their upgrade policy? Is it similar to WF?
Also just to note, I live in Houston so I believe I would have an opportunity to WF flash store and see the diamonds in person. I am not sure if it counts as a perks.

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Also just to note, I live in Houston so I believe I would have an opportunity to WF flash store and see the diamonds in person. I am not sure if it counts as a perks.
BG is more restrictive that WF with upgrades. You have to upgrade on 2 dimensions (out of clarity/color/carat). That can sometimes make it really hard for people to realistically upgrade. WF's upgrade policy is just $1 more, so IMHO it's significantly better.

diamondnewbieny

Brilliant_Rock

Like Lovedogs said, BG’s upgrade policy is more restrictive. If upgrade is important, then you might have to think about that. I don’t think I am ever going to upgrade my earring in any near future, so I didn’t think about upgrade. My earrings will be 1.5 tcw, so it’s similar to what you are looking for.

Any upgrade I am thinking will be for my ring. I did get my 2.5ct diamond from WF because I care about the size of the ring diamond more than my earrings. I know I will want to upgrade that in the future. WF upgrade policy is very nice indeed.

Do you think you will upgrade your earrings?

Last edited:

tote13

Rough_Rock
Like Lovedogs said, BG’s upgrade policy is more restrictive. If upgrade is important, then you might have to think about that. I don’t think I am ever going to upgrade my earring in any near future, so I didn’t think about upgrade. My earrings will be 1.5 tcw, so it’s similar to what you are looking for.

Any upgrade I am thinking will be for my ring. I did get my 2.5ct diamond from WF because I care about the size of the ring diamond more than my earrings. I know I will want to upgrade that in the future. WF upgrade policy is very nice indeed.

Do you think you will upgrade your earrings?
Tbh I am not sure : ). My sweet spot is around 1.80 tcw. I found some option on WF ACA diamonds but couldnt find anything in BG around that weight. You were mentioning about some promotion going on as well for BG but I couldnt see anything on their website. Do I have to call them and inquire about it?

diamondnewbieny

Brilliant_Rock
Tbh I am not sure : ). My sweet spot is around 1.80 tcw. I found some option on WF ACA diamonds but couldnt find anything in BG around that weight. You were mentioning about some promotion going on as well for BG but I couldnt see anything on their website. Do I have to call them and inquire about it?

No you don’t have to call them, I see it on their web site. Look at the pictures below.
A89C8196-E8AB-4DDD-B0FA-7892F602A803.png C0A03FB1-13E9-474F-95AB-2599CDECF2E8.png

Crystal_Dreams

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I’ve only purchased through BGD and they’ve been fantastic. I tend to go for their BGD blue range as I like fluoro and it lessens the cost a bit. Always buy when they’re having a promo though. When I do that, I find their prices equivalent to or better than WF depending on the discount.

WF has lovely stones though and a nice big range. I would happily go for either vendor. BGD has just suited me better in the past because their promos make it a better deal for me with carefully vetted fluoro containing stones. Although colour sensitive, I went for H VS1/VS2 with strong blue fluoro for my 1.6ctw studs. I absolutely adore them!

I’m also not planning to upgrade my studs so BGD suites me just fine (so I say now lol! My husband does not believe me). DSS has set in though- I used to feel my previous 1.1ctw were ‘large’ and a bit ‘dressy’. My 1.6ctw currently feel just right... who knows how that will go in a few years time...

WillyDiamond

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Signature Series = WF ACA.
History: Brian and Lesley worked for WF before opening their own shop. Brian is the mastermind behind the ACA. I would expect his Black to be superior. Others will have to chime in on that.
I have bought earring twice for my daughter from BGD, my recommendation is to have Lesley find you pairs.

diamondnewbieny

Brilliant_Rock
Is their Black by BG is equivalent to WF ACA diamond?
Like others had said, BG used to work for WF. He is co founder of WF. I expect him to be better if not equivalent. That’s why it made sense to me to buy from BG with the cheaper price.

tote13

Rough_Rock
Signature Series = WF ACA.
History: Brian and Lesley worked for WF before opening their own shop. Brian is the mastermind behind the ACA. I would expect his Black to be superior. Others will have to chime in on that.
I have bought earring twice for my daughter from BGD, my recommendation is to have Lesley find you pairs.
Did you buy black or heart and arrows on his signature collection?

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results