shape
carat
color
clarity

Advice on Pear Shape cut diamond

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

reebs

Rough_Rock
Any advice for a layman that is looking for a 1.5ct pear shape diamond cut???

diamondsman

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
wavey.gif
Yes , try to stay withing the ratio of 1:1.35-1.5 length to width.

reebs

Rough_Rock
Thanks for the advice diamondsman. Does anyone have any other guidelines I should follow???

Nicrez

Ideal_Rock
All shaped stone have "bow-ties", meaning you can see your dark reflection of your head covering the light within the inner, center facets of the stone. It will look like a dark spot on either side of the culet, thus looking like a bow-tie.

That being said, try to find a stone that is cut a little better and doesn't display this so prominently, by looking at it head on through the top facet. Good luck and post pictures when you get it!!

Any setting ideas?

Cassandra

Shiny_Rock
You actually *can* find pears without the bowtie effect (but they are very hard to find as the majority do display the "bowtie"). I had one (and recently sold it). It displayed absolutely no bowtie, and was one of the prettiest pears I have ever seen. People's preference for the actual shape of the pear may differ, but I'll show you the actual shape (as in outline) of the pear that I prefer! Johnathan at Good Old Gold has a perfect example on his site.

http://www.goodoldgold.com/pear_1_89ct_e_vs1.htm

I prefer the more rounded pears as opposed to the ones that have very sharp, straight lines leading to the point. Even though that particular pear has a "bowtie" to it, it's been on my favorite's list for over a year.
1.gif

diamondlil

Ideal_Rock
Hi Reebs,

According to AGA cut classes, a l/w ratio between 1.50:1 and 1.75:1 is the trade preference. In my personal opinion 1.50 and below is a very fat, squat shape and not very attractive. On the other extreme, a 1.75:1 is very long and skinny and not very appealing either. Also look for the top of the pear and over the shoulders to be very round, like a round brilliant, and not cut flat across making more of a shield shape.

I do think a lot of it is personal preference though. If you go to www.gemappraisers.com and click on the fancy shape selector, you can play with the shapes to see what is most appealing to your eye. It's a neat little tool to help you narrow down the field. Your own eye will tell you what you like best. There is also some good information at that site regarding the specifications for each cut class. By the way, a 1.35 to 1.49:1 l/w ratio is a cut class 3A spec.

Diamondlil

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
----------------
On 2/13/2004 8:40:47 AM reebs wrote:

Any advice for a layman that is looking for a 1.5ct pear shape diamond cut???----------------

I very much agree that a 5 min play with that shape selector is a greta place to start deciding what is a good pear to you. Also, the AGA charts are a good tool to decide what each parameter of the cut means and what is their effect on the overall presence of the stone. Even if you do not end up respecting those boundaries perfectly, it is good to know that stones are valued according to such parameters: for example, a high crown in a pear cut is rather hard to find and a great indication of good scintillantion (play of light"), and pears with "flat" (very shallow) crowns sell at a discount and are likely to present durability issues.

There are qiute a few pear cut lovers around here ! And at elast one has commented extensively on the difference in light return between a pear cut and a round! the pear was not the winner... unfortunately.

In theory, pears are not supposed to sparke as an ideal round - their facet design would not allow this. However, it remains important, in my view, to look for decent light return in these fancy shapes. There is no receipe to convert "numbers" about a pear's cut into a prediction of light return (such as the HCA does for rounds), but using an Ideal Scope when shopping for a pear may lead to choosing a stoe with great light return, as much as the shape allows, and get the best of both worlds: shape and light - As far as I believe, of course....

diamondlil

Ideal_Rock

----------------
On 2/13/2004 10:24:37 AM valeria101 wrote:

There are qiute a few pear cut lovers around here ! And at elast one has commented extensively on the difference in light return between a pear cut and a round! the pear was not the winner... unfortunately.

----------------

Yes, Valeria, that would be me.
21.gif

Diamondlil

Bagpuss

Brilliant_Rock
----------------
On 2/13/2004 9:04:46 AM Cassandra wrote:

You actually *can* find pears without the bowtie effect (but they are very hard to find as the majority do display the 'bowtie'). I had one (and recently sold it). It displayed absolutely no bowtie, and was one of the prettiest pears I have ever seen. People's preference for the actual shape of the pear may differ, but I'll show you the actual shape (as in outline) of the pear that I prefer! Johnathan at Good Old Gold has a perfect example on his site.

http://www.goodoldgold.com/pear_1_89ct_e_vs1.htm

I prefer the more rounded pears as opposed to the ones that have very sharp, straight lines leading to the point. Even though that particular pear has a 'bowtie' to it, it's been on my favorite's list for over a year.
1.gif

----------------

And I'm the lucky girl that bought it.
3.gif

It's white, bright, sparkly, has no bow-tie that I can see and I love its shape. It's a 1:31 ratio, quite short and rounded (like its new owner) and I love it. No skinny minnies for me.

Bagpuss

Brilliant_Rock
And here it is......

45peardiamond1.jpg

reebs

Rough_Rock
Thanks everyone for the advice.

Patty

Ideal_Rock
Bagpuss, that pear is beautiful! I love a pear in a pendant.

Bagpuss

Brilliant_Rock
----------------
On 2/18/2004 4:29:56 PM Patty wrote:

Bagpuss, that pear is beautiful! I love a pear in a pendant.----------------

Thanks Patty. I certainly love this one! I couldn't believe that Cassie was willing to part with it. I'd been drooling over it ever since she first showed it to us.
9.gif

I agree about the shape being perfect for a pendant. I have a number of coloured stone pear shaped pendants and I've always thought they look very elegant.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results