shape
carat
color
clarity

Advice on Paraiba Setting

Ionysis

Brilliant_Rock
5487F779-3608-4B21-B1D0-F08E782A2923.jpeg E2AEC7E3-0E73-4699-B2B3-739B62BBFA39.jpeg Morning folks, I’m looking for some advice from you experts.

I’ve got my hands on a sweet little paraiba. It was a steal because of a tiny chip on the girdle and some windowing in the centre of the stone.

These aspects don’t bother me because the colour is stunning and the inclusions in the stone make it super sparkly.

My challenge now is to set it in the best way to minimise the window. I will go for a bezel setting to hide the girdle chip, and surround it with diamonds but would you think a solid white gold or platinum backing would be the best way to disguise the window? Or a different base to the ring?

As the colour is saturated but light, I’m not worried about a closed setting darkening the stone like it would do in something like a sapphire or spinnel or a darker hues stone. But I also don’t want to lose the “glow”.

Any suggestions or experience welcome.

Pics attached.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Do you have any idea who is going to do the bench work? I ask because bezeling a gem can make it chip further, and some benches do a sloppy job.

I don’t think you have to worry about it darkening in a closed setting like a bezel though. It’s a very bright stone with no extinction. It could never go dark. I would not enclose the back either with metal. In my experience, it’s too hard to clean such a setting, and with transparent gems, this could be an issue.

Very pretty stone by the way. I have a paraiba with an enormous window like that and similar inclusions. It’s promg set, and everyone comments more on the beauty of that stone than my well cut ones.

Ionysis

Brilliant_Rock
I do trust my jeweller but honestly I would rather cover the nick with a double prong rather than a bezel if I had the choice. Just don’t want it to be visible at all and I’m not sure even a double claw will properly hide it.

I thought that about a closed back. Perhaps a half way house with a spoke back setting which meets fully in the middle instead of leaving a central hole?

Ionysis

Brilliant_Rock
91D890A6-C2E9-4F70-986A-AE5305CAFF9A.jpeg Something like this - but no hole underneath.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
That’s a very popular type of setting. If your stone is a calibrated size, or near one, you could plop it in some empty settings to get an idea. Maybe your jeweler has some.

Ionysis

Brilliant_Rock
That’s actually a very good idea.

I usually end up doing something complicated and they have to do the whole wax mould rigmarole so it hadn’t crossed my mind.

Will stop by and see if that’s possible.

Reactions: T L

GLbluegreen

Shiny_Rock
That’s actually a very good idea.

I usually end up doing something complicated and they have to do the whole wax mould rigmarole so it hadn’t crossed my mind.

Will stop by and see if that’s possible.

GLbluegreen

Shiny_Rock
Ionysis That is a gorgeous Paraiba. May I ask where you purchased it from ? I would love to find one with a similar color and am always looking for new Paraiba sources. Thanks !

Ionysis

Brilliant_Rock
From a lovely lady called Lola in Madrid. Her website is MDMaya Gems. I’ve bought a few stones from her. She is great to deal with.

suzanne2

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
From a lovely lady called Lola in Madrid. Her website is MDMaya Gems. I’ve bought a few stones from her. She is great to deal with.

Thank you for the website and the recommendation. She looks to have a nice inventory and clever girl, she's staying away from rubies and sapphires.

GLbluegreen

Shiny_Rock
Thank you Ionysis. Your little beauty is just lovely. Enjoy!

passions4purples

Rough_Rock
Beautiful! I love the cool mintiness of it!

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Gorgeous!! Love it!!!

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
97E2F6A2-6789-4E75-A43D-A31F407C5C43.jpeg 58D84988-1363-4B4C-83C0-E591B3DF5628.jpeg 71762CBA-10BF-4D22-8961-5F987346D802.jpeg Just closing this thread off with the finished product.

Wow, breathtaking ring. Gorgeous color and stunning setting. A perfect complement. :love:

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It is indeed an absolutely gorgeous ring and looks fabulous on your hand.

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Love the ring, it's perfect on you! And the color of the paraiba is awesome.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results