shape
carat
color
clarity

Advice on how to photograph and mail stones please.

beaujolais

Ideal_Rock
So, some I've got some extra stones I want to sell and need advice, please. I'm using an iPhone to photograph them. The pictures are coming out ok. How can I economically ship them? They are probably going to be priced at $30-80. They are were originally more, of course, but I want to price them to sell. How about if I bubble wrap the gem box, put in a smaller shipping envelope (5"x7") and add some insurance if over the $50 they give you with a first class mail. I'd get a tracking number on it, of course. Anything else? Thanks dear friends.

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Are you based in the US?

If so, priority flat rate boxes add insurance automatically up to $100 (used to be $50, changed earlier this year). Def check pricing for first class + tracking + insurance, priority might be less!

beaujolais

Ideal_Rock
Yes, I'm in the US. Thanks so much, Yssie!! Would I be ok with bubble wrapping the gem box well and putting it in a 5x7" envelope or do I need to go get small boxes? If so, any ideas on where would I find those? Thanks again.

Avondale

Brilliant_Rock
If there’s room enough in the box for the stones to move and bounce around, also add some extra padding inside so that they sit firmly.

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The flat rate boxes are free at any usps location! Nice and easy. I go over all seams and the address with clear tape, and of course stuffing the boxes so nothing rattles around, as Avondale mentioned, is always a good idea ::)

Yes, I'm in the US. Thanks so much, Yssie!! Would I be ok with bubble wrapping the gem box well and putting it in a 5x7" envelope or do I need to go get small boxes? If so, any ideas on where would I find those? Thanks again.

Last edited:

beaujolais

Ideal_Rock
Thank you all again!

LilAlex

Ideal_Rock
Premium
At that price point, I think you can put them in the lowest-profile hard "gem jar" you can find and just seal them in a padded envelope. This is how i get camera filters (e.g., from B&H) at a similar price point.

beaujolais

Ideal_Rock
Thanks Alex. I was thinking about the envelope, but I believe the box is just a few dollars more and easier. However, the few dollars still counts. I think I will try it both ways.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results