shape
carat
color
clarity

Advice on GIA VG cut

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

GettingReady2009

Rough_Rock
Hello all --

I''m in the process of purchasing a diamond for an engagement ring, like so many others. I am looking at ~0.5 carat round stones (gf''s preference). I have been looking both at local B&M stores as well as online (bluenile, etc).

Recently I saw a stone in a local store that I really liked, but wanted to get the board''s feedback on. I have done a lot of browsing/lurking of this site and it seems that you all are super knowledgeable.

The stone''s specs from the GIA cert are:

ROUND BRILLIANT
Measurements: 5.03 - 5.07 x 3.16 mm
Carat Weight: 0.50 carat
Color Grade: F
Clarity Grade: VS2
Cut Grade: Very Good

PROPORTIONS:
Depth: 62.6%
Table: 56%
Crown Angle: 36.0°
Crown Height: 16.0%
Pavilion Angle: 40.6°
Pavilion Depth: 42.5%
Star length: 50%
Lower Half: 80%
Girdle: Medium to Slightly Thick, Faceted
Culet: None

FINISH:
Polish: Very Good
Symmetry: Excellent
Fluorescence: None

CLARITY CHARACTERISTICS:
Crystal, Indented Natural

My concern is about the VG cut grade as well as the VG polish, but I am not sure how much this will really make a difference in such a small stone. If I run these specs through the HCA it gives back a 1.8, which seems good. The B&M is asking ~$1500 for this, which is in my range (would go up to $2k or so for the stone). If the money is worth it, I would prefer to get a better cut and polish, but want to know if this will really make such a difference at this size.

Thanks!

stone-cold11

Super_Ideal_Rock
Looks like it got a hit in the cut grade for being too deep. Facetware shows that for the combination, changing to depth % to 62.3% will get an Ex cut grade. Price wise looks good, slightly cheaper when compared to online store for H&A stones.

EDT:
VG polish should not be noticeable to the layman.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Welcome!

This diamond falls within fiery ideal cut range, this basically means it might show some extra fire if the lighting is right. It is a bit deep as can happen with FIC''s. The VG polish, you won''t notice any difference. If you like this diamond then what I would suggest is to compare it with some AGS0 cut grade ( Jareds) or Hearts on Fire if there is a dealer near you, so you can see how this diamond compares. If you prefer the ones I mentioned then consider looking for a diamond which has what we call near Tolkowsky angles which might be a better balance for you.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh yes and the depth will be the reason it good VG for a cut grade.

GettingReady2009

Rough_Rock
Thanks very much, this is good information! I hadn''t really read up on the difference between FIC, TIC, etc.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results