shape
carat
color
clarity

Advice on Downsizing a Lab Grown Diamond...Sell? Recut?

laxbro822

Rough_Rock
Hi all, this site was super helpful in getting me up to speed on diamonds when I was in the process of picking out an engagement ring.

After lots of research, I ended up buying my girl a 3 carat lab grown diamond from Brian Gavin (F VVS2, AGS 0, H&A). It is perfect in every way, except it ended up being way larger than expected for her to wear comfortably on a day to day basis.

I'm now in a really tricky spot and have no idea what to do. We already tried getting it reset and that didn't help much. She really wants something that's ~2 carats max.

1) Is it possible to sell this ring? It's past any kind of return window, and we've had no luck with a listing on IDoNowIDont (she heard that might be a good place to sell). It also didn't qualify for Ada diamonds public purchase program. Where do people successfully sell lab diamond rings?

2) Is there any way to possibly get this diamond we have cut smaller into a 2 carat? I know it sounds a little crazy...just trying to understand all my options.

Thank you in advance for the help! Any advice is greatly appreciated!

Last edited:

DejaWiz

Ideal_Rock
Hello and welcome to PriceScope, laxbro822!

Quick question: is your diamond a BG Signature LGD, or was it sourced from virtual inventory?

What size ring does your significant other wear? There is a great size/diameter comparison site so you can see if a 2 carat is the right size or if something around 2.2, 2.4, or 2.6 may be more fitting.
www.diamdb.com

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
Have you talked to Brian and see if he has any options for you?

holeydonut

Shiny_Rock
I know Brian Gavin does the "lifetime upgrade policy" where I think he'll apply the original cost of a diamond against any upgrade. But IIRC the caveat is the diamond has to be one of his in-house brands. The "virtual" stones he middles don't qualify... but since yours is H&A it's probably one of his in house cuts.

I guess this does put you in a pickle where you have a single diamond that is "too big". While I don't think his existing policy really contemplated someone wanting to downgrade a size, BGD seems very customer focused.

I think if you were willing to pay a bit more, you can ask for a new setting and re-work of the existing ring. Maybe he will agree to turn your 3 ct Lab into two 2.3 ct Labs. He's got an E 3ct In-house-lab round brilliant listed for about $15,000 and two 2.3 ct In-house-lab round brilliant for about $7,500 each.

So maybe you can solve this problem by "upgrading" into a matching pendant/ring combo? Edit, here's the page detailing his lab-specific policies around returns/upgrades.

Good luck!

Kim N

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Try listing it in the Preloved forum (it will also need to be cross-listed elsewhere like on Loupetroop in order for people to contact you).

I would not recut a super ideal cut stone.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results