shape
carat
color
clarity

Advice on diamond with EGL cert

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

ephemery1

Brilliant_Rock
Question... I''ve come across a stone that sounds very very close to what I''ve been searching for. Great cut (all the depth/table/crown numbers point to an ideal oval using the guidelines on Dave Atlas''s website), F color, SI1 that is supposedly closer to a VS2. Very good polish and symmetry. I have already spoken with the internet vendor (Martin at USA certed), who spoke with the diamond dealer, who says it is a "gorgeous" stone with no bow-tie.

Only problem... it is an EGL cert.

Martin has suggested it is worth having the stone sent to Dave Atlas (I live in Philly) so that I can make an appt with him to go see it in person, and is holding the diamond for me to do so. If it really is a true F color, SI1, and everything else looks good to the eye (and Dave''s eye, obviously)... what potential problems do I face in purchasing a stone with an EGL cert? Up until now, I hadn''t even considered anything other than AGS or GIA......

Advice, please!!!

JohnQuixote

Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/16/2006 3:44:31 PM
Author:ephemery1
Question... I've come across a stone that sounds very very close to what I've been searching for. Great cut (all the depth/table/crown numbers point to an ideal oval using the guidelines on Dave Atlas's website), F color, SI1 that is supposedly closer to a VS2. Very good polish and symmetry. I have already spoken with the internet vendor (Martin at USA certed), who spoke with the diamond dealer, who says it is a 'gorgeous' stone with no bow-tie.

Only problem... it is an EGL cert.

Martin has suggested it is worth having the stone sent to Dave Atlas (I live in Philly) so that I can make an appt with him to go see it in person, and is holding the diamond for me to do so. If it really is a true F color, SI1, and everything else looks good to the eye (and Dave's eye, obviously)... what potential problems do I face in purchasing a stone with an EGL cert? Up until now, I hadn't even considered anything other than AGS or GIA......

Advice, please!!!
I think Martin's suggestion is an excellent one. Boutique labs like the AGA (Dave's), as well as AGR (Neil), CGL (Bill) and SGL (Rich), etc., are every bit as discriminating as the AGS/GIA. You typically get more abundant information and very personal service working with these guys. They will let you know how it would stand up to high standards. Getting to see the diamond live with Dave is a home-run bonus. Make sure he's not stingy with the coffee and donuts.

oldminer

Ideal_Rock
Trade
The asking price of the diamond will probably be a bit lower than a diamond of the same paperwork grades by AGS or GIA. This is the way the dealer market adjusts for EGL papers. The diamond is no different than any other diamond. Only the paperwork grading is a bit in question.

I had a 4ct emerald cut in today graded F-VS2 which met the EGL paperwork it came with. SOmetimes that doesn''t happen. Many times, the stone is just fine anyway, but the customer must feel comfortable with a slightly lower color and/or clarity grade applied. Again, the diamond is still the same one no matter how it grades.

The value of a diamond is based on its actualgrade, not a paperwork grade. Dealers know quality and value. Paper certs assist the consumer and the sellers, but diamond prices and values mostly arise from accurate understanding of actual grade.

Modified Brilliant

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Boutique labs like the AGA (Dave''s), as well as AGR (Neil), CGL (Bill) and SGL (Rich), etc., are every bit as discriminating as the AGS/GIA
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

...and John...let''s not forget the boutique appraisers who are also very discriminating and are highly skilled in grading mounted and loose diamonds.
35.gif

www.metrojewelryappraisers.com

ephemery1

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks so much for your input. I think I will have Martin send the stone down for David to take a look at... (David, I actually left a message with Chris at your office today about that, so hopefully we''ll be in touch soon!) I got a good feeling from Martin, and think he got a good feeling from the dealer, so hopefully everything will work out! I would be comfortable with the stone even if the color was closer to G or maybe even H in a GIA cert, but his impression was that it was a "true F", so we shall see. And he seemed fairly confident on the clarity.

But really, I am less interested in the stone for its paperwork and more for its value (sentimental and otherwise), so it sounds like EGL could be fine as long as the stone is worth what it is supposed to be worth. Any other negatives to having an EGL cert that I should know about?

Thanks again!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results