shape
carat
color
clarity

Advice on diamond from ebay seller

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

santo10492

Rough_Rock
I am interested in purchasing this GIA certified diamond that I found on EBAY. The address is below, it is item # 2632310715.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2632310715

It appears to be a very good deal and right in my price range. However, based on comparison price shopping it seems to be extremely underpriced and way to good to be true. Any advice on the stone, its price and seller, would be greatly appreciated. Thank you all very much!!!!

pyramid

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I am just a consumer but I noticed that the girdle is Very Thin and the colour is only an I.

santo10492

Rough_Rock
I realize it is only an "I" color, but the cut is very good and it has VVS clarity. 2.00 carat diamonds with this color and clarity are going for the same price on DCD.com and this stone is 2.55 carats. It also has a medium blue flourescence to help it appear whiter. I just want to make sure this a good buy before I spend a lot of money. Again, any advice on whether or not this is a good buy for a good diamond, is greatly appreciated!!!!!

jlim

Shiny_Rock
----------------
On 5/7/2003 2:15:31 PM pyramid wrote:

I am just a consumer but I noticed that the girdle is Very Thin and the colour is only an I.
----------------

I'm also a consumer and from looking at the diamonds that interests me from the vendors here, I don't recall seeing one GIA cert that says something other than "very thin to medium faceted girdle".

aljdewey

Ideal_Rock

----------------

On 5/7/2003 1:59:24 PM santo10492 wrote:
I am interested in purchasing this GIA certified diamond that I found on EBAY. The address is below, it is item # 2632310715.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2632310715

It appears to be a very good deal and right in my price range. However, based on comparison price shopping it seems to be extremely underpriced and way to good to be true. Any advice on the stone, its price and seller, would be greatly appreciated. Thank you all very much!!!!
----------------
Santo: It does appear too good to be true, and you know what they say about that: If it appears to be too good to be true, it probably isn't true.

This diamond is priced less expensively per carat than the lowest cut quality diamonds according to the AGA charts. GIA certs don't give crown/pavilion angles, so you are unable to get more information about the quality of the cut unless the seller is willing to do a Sarin, which is unlikely on eBay.

Also, I notice the cert shown on eBay doesn't actually reflect the GIA report #. If you could get this from the seller, you could call to verify w/GIA and they could provide you with the crown/pavilion angles.

My gut instinct: Pass, Pass, Pass on this one. That's a lot of money to risk for a diamond that may be dead and has no sparkle whatsoever. With a budget of $14K, you can get an amazing, traffic-stopping stone from several of the vendors here with all the requisite documentation to set your mind at ease.

Good luck.

santo10492

Rough_Rock
Thank you for reply, I will pass on this diamond. Do you have any advice on sticking with an "I" color and how much yellow I can expect to see. I hear from many people that "I" color is a great value as long as cut is ideal to very good. I just can't seem to figure out on what area I need to give on in order to get a beautiful 2 carat round diamond for 14K or below. I definitely need help!!!!

aljdewey

Ideal_Rock

----------------
On 5/7/2003 3:17:28 PM santo10492 wrote:

Thank you for reply, I will pass on this diamond. Do you have any advice on sticking with an "I" color and how much yellow I can expect to see. I hear from many people that "I" color is a great value as long as cut is ideal to very good. I just can't seem to figure out on what area I need to give on in order to get a beautiful 2 carat round diamond for 14K or below. I definitely need help!!!!

----------------

The "I" color shouldn't be a problem if it is well cut. Also, are you setting in Yellow or White Gold......it will likely still look white in white gold or platinum, and will definitely look good in yellow gold. Also, stones that have a blue fluorescence can help "whiten" a stone's appearance to the eye, and this may help your budget....blue fluor stones are often a bit less expensive than inert stones.

Good Old Gold has these:/www.pricescope.com/idealbb/images/smilies/3.gif[/img]>/www.pricescope.com/idealbb/images/smilies/3.gif[/img]>

http://www.goodoldgold.com/1_77ct_i_vs2__h&a.htm - $11,500, 1.77 ct, I, VS2, H&A

http://www.goodoldgold.com/1_79ct_h_si1_h&a.htm - $12,883, 1.79 ct, H, SI1, H&A
(The plot on this looks fairly clean even though it’s an SI1)/www.pricescope.com/idealbb/images/smilies/3.gif[/img]>/www.pricescope.com/idealbb/images/smilies/3.gif[/img]>
If your budget is expandable, they also have this:
http://www.goodoldgold.com/new_page_4.htm - 2.11 carat, I, VS1 for $16,950 bank wire/www.pricescope.com/idealbb/images/smilies/3.gif[/img]>/www.pricescope.com/idealbb/images/smilies/3.gif[/img]>
/www.pricescope.com/idealbb/images/smilies/3.gif[/img]>
/www.pricescope.com/idealbb/images/smilies/3.gif[/img]>NiceIce has a 1.78, F, SI2 that they claim is nearly 100% eyeclean/www.pricescope.com/idealbb/images/smilies/3.gif[/img]>/www.pricescope.com/idealbb/images/smilies/3.gif[/img]>
http://www.niceice.com/privatereserve/reserve5.htm

Whiteflash has this: 2.063 ct., I, VS2, AGS certed A Cut Above H&A, $16,438

These are a few to start with....none of them had anything right on the nose to the $14K marker, so these are the best options I could find.

Good luck!

santo10492

Rough_Rock
Thank you again for such a helpful reply. I really do like the 1.77 and 1.79 at goodoldgold. I am just pretty stuck on it being a 2.00 carat, unless the H & A will make it look like a 2.00 carat to the untrained eye. Who knows??? The $16,500 range is definitely way out of my price range. If anybody else has some diamonds they can recommend I would appreciate it!!!! This forum is great, thank you very much!!!

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
Jlim my stone is GIA certed and the girdle is Thin-Medium.

Would stay away from extreme stones such as V.Thin or V. Thick unless you can get specs on where the V.Thin spots are..if its only one small spot, cover it with a prong. If it's V.Thin in more place than one...that may be a red light.

What should you compromise on to get the ctw? If you really want to meet the 2c weight...suggest dropping clarity to SI1 and also color to around I as you are already doing. If you can go slightly under 2c weight, maybe 1.90 you may save $$ and if you get a well cut stone such as H&A or excellent symmetry, the stone will look larger than the average mall-cut 2c anyway. So you put your money into a better cut stone and it will reward you with a more brilliant payoff.

Good luck!!

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
Actually you may want to check out this stone

2.01c J SI1 A Cut Above SuperIdeal H&A AGS0 from WhiteFlash at almost $12k.
http://www.whiteflash.com/acut/diamond_details.asp?ItemCode=465178

You may be thinking I is as low as you'd like to go on color, but someone in the Show Me the Ring Forum recently posted their J SuperbCert and it looked very white!! The reasoning is that the well cut stones face up whiter than an average cut stone of the same color. So if you really want to meet that 2c weight or have around there, this excellently cut J is only one color grade above the average cut eBay stone you were considering...so check this one out. Amazing H&A images and the IdealScope image is stunning.

Good luck!!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results