shape
carat
color
clarity

Advice on cushion

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

ctyc

Rough_Rock
Does this cushion look like it has the crushed ice look?

cc cushion2.jpg

ctyc

Rough_Rock
ASET image

cc cushion1.jpg

kcoursolle

Super_Ideal_Rock
More or less, yes.

ctyc

Rough_Rock
Is this cushion worth it? Is it going to be good visually? Help please.

kcoursolle

Super_Ideal_Rock

That depends on what you like really. Do you like the crushed ice look?

Also, do you have the cut information for this stone (table, depth, etc.)?

ctyc

Rough_Rock
I sure do. Here it is.

I don''t like the crushed ice look, but I''m wondering if this diamond would look like this.

http://www.goodoldgold.com/diamond/4065

I thought this diamond was quite stunning, but I can''t tell if they look even remotely similar.

And is this yet another crushed ice looking cushion?

http://www.goodoldgold.com/diamond/5673/

cushion sarin.jpg

DiamondFlame

Brilliant_Rock
Unless you''re pretty set against the ''crushed ice look'' I think the cushion is a performer judging by the ASET image. The shape looks great too.

ctyc

Rough_Rock
So from both comments, this cushion is basically going to have the stereotypical "crushed ice" look. Shattered glass look?

I do have to say that it is disappointing. Everything else about this cushion seems great, but I am not a fan of the "crushed ice" look.

Any advice on how to find a cushion that is not going to have the "crushed ice" look?

kcoursolle

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/8/2009 3:48:11 AM
Author: ctyc
So from both comments, this cushion is basically going to have the stereotypical ''crushed ice'' look. Shattered glass look?

I do have to say that it is disappointing. Everything else about this cushion seems great, but I am not a fan of the ''crushed ice'' look.

Any advice on how to find a cushion that is not going to have the ''crushed ice'' look?
Tell WF that you do not want a stone with a "crushed ice look". I think instead you may want something that is in between an antique chunky style and a modern cushion given the other ones that you like. You probably want a "cushion brilliant" rather than a "modified cushion brilliant".

goodoldgold.com and mark at engagementringsdirect.com would also be great at helping finding you a cushion.

ctyc

Rough_Rock
Thank you for your help and advice. I will definitely speak with someone at GOG and ERD. Hopefully I will find something soon and I'll be back with more images for you to look at. Thanks again.

ddcha

Shiny_Rock
Date: 4/8/2009 5:13:02 AM
Thank you for your help and advice. I will definitely speak with someone at GOG and ERD. Hopefully I will find something soon and I''ll be back with more images for you to look at. Thanks again.
I just went through this process, looking for a 2.0-2.5ct cushion. Bought from ERD after talking to GOG and another vendor in the Midwest. Not all "modified cushion brilliants" have the crushed ice look, but that''s the exception and not the norm. The "cushion brilliants" (as it should state on their GIA certs) tend to have the larger facets and were more appealing to us. They do cost more, however, and square ones also command a slight premium.

Among "cushion brilliants" there are the "chunky facet" style and the "modern brilliant" style. We liked chunky but preferred modern because it was a "brighter" cut and square chunkies are a bit harder to find.

Hope that helps. Oh yeah. ERD and GOG have very different approaches at selling stones. Jon at GOG is very technology focused (ASET, ideal scope, led performance, etc.). Mark at ERD tends to compare stones in normal lighting, but has an ideal scope on his desk if you want to use it.

CharmyPoo

Ideal_Rock
Here are my two cents .. if you can''t tell if the diamond is crushed ice or not .. and you like it ... who cares what other people think. PS has a following on chunky faceted diamonds but very few people out there would even know.

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/8/2009 10:58:19 AM
Author: CharmyPoo
Here are my two cents .. if you can''t tell if the diamond is crushed ice or not .. and you like it ... who cares what other people think. PS has a following on chunky faceted diamonds but very few people out there would even know.

ditto.

I think it''s a pretty stone!

ctyc

Rough_Rock
Thanks for all the responses.

I actually can tell if it has the "crushed ice" look when I look at GOG''s videos. It is really obvious when you look at the diamond then. However, in this particular photoraph, it is really a bit more difficult for me to tell. My first reaction was that it had the "crushed ice" look when I saw the photo, but I wasn''t completely sure. But I knew that there was something about the diamond that wasn''t quite what I was looking for. That''s why I needed the confirmation. And to be honest, I am so tired of looking, that there was a part of me that was hoping someone would say that it did not have the "crushed ice" appearance. :) The ironic part about this diamond is that on the cert, it said that it was a "cushion brilliant" not "cushion modified." So I thought that there was a possibility this one was not going to have the "crushed ice" appearance, but apparently even the name of the cut doesn''t guarantee it to look a certain way.

That said, I am going to continue to search and thanks for the replies.

DDCHA: What did you think of the other square cushion that you saw? I saw on another thread that you had looked at 2 cushions, the one you ultimately purchased as well as another.

ddcha

Shiny_Rock
Date: 4/8/2009 1:42:42 PM

DDCHA: What did you think of the other square cushion that you saw? I saw on another thread that you had looked at 2 cushions, the one you ultimately purchased as well as another.

All the details are here. If you want my vendor contact, let me know. I haven''t seen this one in person, but the picture and specs are pretty promising.

https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/opinions-on-this-cushion-please.111857/

MrsChil

Shiny_Rock
I actually don''t think that diamond has a crushed ice appearance at all. I would guess that it has a 4 main pavillion like mine. I have seen crushed-ice looking cushions and radiants alongside mine and they are VERY different. Just my .02 :)

MrsChil

Shiny_Rock
FYI-Here''s a really bad picture of my diamond but you can see how the facets look a little similar...

VGirls172IVS2.jpg

CharmyPoo

Ideal_Rock
I actually don''t think that the stone looks like crushed ice.

Anyways, today I saw a gorgeous old cut cushion that is 1.8 ct G SI1 (but more like a VS2). It was cut over a hundered years ago and is absolutely gorgeous. I haven''t seen a cushion like it and I have seen a lot. It has so much personality and is a very feminine stone. It reminds me of an OEC in a cushion shape. There are couple reasons why I am still considering it and haven''t purchased it. But if I decide to pass .. I will let you know the details if you are interested.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I don''t consider that a crushed ice look. The crushed ice has a very random, pinpoint type of light return, literally like crushed ice. This cushion has smaller facets but they look to be radiating out from the center in a "set"/defined pattern.

ctyc

Rough_Rock
Does anyone have a photograph of a cushion with the "crushed ice" appearance?

I am so confused. I feel like I see a little of what everyone is saying, but because this particular diamond is not in my hands and I can''t confirm anything about it other than that the ASET looks great. I can''t even say that I love this diamond because I''ve never seen it, and I''m hesitant about it based on the photograph, which could very well be a bad photograph.

In response:

Vgirl17- Veronica, you don''t think that the outer portion of the pic I have looks kind of shattered? Your picture, while a tiny bit blurry, shows a very pretty cushion and is exactly what I am looking for. The picture I posted above does have a 4 main pavillion. Great eye!!!

Charmypoo- If you have a picture of the cushion you''re considering, I''d love to see it. (Not to try to snatch it from you, but just because it sounds really really interesting.)

ddcha- I''d like to speak to your vendor contact. The thread you linked doesn''t really contain too much details of the cushion you turned down. I guess I''m just wondering why you turned it down. Is it simply because you couldn''t see it in person? Because right now, that is beginning to frustrate me and I didn''t realize how important seeing it was until now.

Thank you all for your input. I have definitely learned from this experience, but I am still so confused. Again, I wish I could see it in person. Any pictures of "crushed ice" cushions would be appreciated. Thanks again and I hope to hear what else anyone might have to say.

kcoursolle

Super_Ideal_Rock
You guys are right, it''s not super crushed icey, just somewhat. This is more along the lines of a crushed ice cushion, but there are some that are even more so.

https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/what-do-you-guys-think-of-this-1-70-ct-cushion-modified-brilliant.78043/

Many cushions look like radiants with the corners rounded out, and the one you posted does not look like that. However, I still don''t think it has a similar look to the other one you posted either, it''s like a hybrid between that and crushed ice.

ddcha

Shiny_Rock
Date: 4/9/2009 2:31:36 AM
Does anyone have a photograph of a cushion with the ''crushed ice'' appearance?

I am so confused. I feel like I see a little of what everyone is saying, but because this particular diamond is not in my hands and I can''t confirm anything about it other than that the ASET looks great. I can''t even say that I love this diamond because I''ve never seen it, and I''m hesitant about it based on the photograph, which could very well be a bad photograph.

In response:

Vgirl17- Veronica, you don''t think that the outer portion of the pic I have looks kind of shattered? Your picture, while a tiny bit blurry, shows a very pretty cushion and is exactly what I am looking for. The picture I posted above does have a 4 main pavillion. Great eye!!!

Charmypoo- If you have a picture of the cushion you''re considering, I''d love to see it. (Not to try to snatch it from you, but just because it sounds really really interesting.)

ddcha- I''d like to speak to your vendor contact. The thread you linked doesn''t really contain too much details of the cushion you turned down. I guess I''m just wondering why you turned it down. Is it simply because you couldn''t see it in person? Because right now, that is beginning to frustrate me and I didn''t realize how important seeing it was until now.

Thank you all for your input. I have definitely learned from this experience, but I am still so confused. Again, I wish I could see it in person. Any pictures of ''crushed ice'' cushions would be appreciated. Thanks again and I hope to hear what else anyone might have to say.
I rejected it because I didn''t want to go through the hassle of getting it shipped to me and possibly having to send it back. This is only because I found something locally that I liked. Contact is Merle Stone. [email protected] I was quoted $20,999 bank transfer price.

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
ct, if you can swing it, I''d have it sent you so you can see for yourself. I don''t really think it looks like crushed ice, though it''s certainly not chunky if that''s what you really want. But it does have great light return for a cushion. I think it might be worth a look.

CharmyPoo

Ideal_Rock
When you see crushed ice, you will have no question about it. It literally looks like crushed ice. Take some time and watch the GoodOldGold videos - they will really help you understand all the different looks so you can pick what you want.

http://vimeo.com/diamondinfo

I do have a photo of the diamond but the vendor takes great care in his photo taking. I don''t want to post a photo that doesn''t do his diamond justice.

ctyc

Rough_Rock
Ellen- Thanks for posting. I was looking for something that everyone is calling a modern cushion. So something that is not quite as chunky as the traditional cushion because I want the sparkle. I think what I am looking for has been described as a round brilliant in a square body. Does that make sense? Is there a more appropriate and specific way to articulate that kind of cushion?

Charmypoo- I understand. It does sound interesting though. If you do decide to get it, I do hope you''ll post a picture on Show Me The Ring and if you don''t, please do pass it my way. I''d love to see either way.

I think after reading everyone''s comments and looking at the picture some more, it definitely does kind of look like a blend between a more uniform patterned look with a crushed ice feel. So perhaps a blend. If I end up having it send out to me just so I can take a look, I will let you all know how it turns out. In the meantime, I''d love to continue to hear anyone and everyone''s assessment of this diamond.

MrsChil

Shiny_Rock
style="WIDTH: 99%; HEIGHT: 363px">Date: 4/9/2009 2:31:36 AM
Does anyone have a photograph of a cushion with the ''crushed ice'' appearance?

In response:

Thank you all for your input. I have definitely learned from this experience, but I am still so confused. Again, I wish I could see it in person. Any pictures of ''crushed ice'' cushions would be appreciated. Thanks again and I hope to hear what else anyone might have to say.
No, I don''t think the outer portion looks crushed. The cushion in that picture is at a little bit of an angle so you see more lines than you would see in a straight on shot. Thanks :) It has 4 mains like this one does and I LOVE it. I wanted to hold out for an 8 main cushion (the chunkier variety) but I fell in love with this one when I saw it. Super sparkly and bright. You can see more photos of it here: Veronica''s Dream Cushion Here is a plot for a cushion that I KNOW can have a crushed ice appearance (kaleidoscope effect) more often than others, BUT I have seen some beautiful modified brilliants too so they''re not all dull. Hope that helps :)

CushionModBrilPlot.JPG

CharmyPoo

Ideal_Rock
I own a modern cushion right now that rivals the sparkle of a round diamond. I find if you look for the 8 main thin pavillions - they should have the look you want. I have personally yet to see in real life a modified cushion brillant diamond that I loved. Some vendors will not sell modified cushion brillants unless their customers really wants it.

Here is a photo of my diamond. Sorry - I can't find any straight on photos at the moment. It is considered a modern cushion and has 8 main pavillions.

MaytalHannahCushionERing.jpg

MrsChil

Shiny_Rock
I also found this diamond on GOG''s site that looks VERY similar to the one you''re looking at and probably has the same 4 main plot: GOG 1.75 Cushion

He has a VIDEO of how it performs so you can get an idea. It''s gorgeous :)

ctyc

Rough_Rock
Veronica- I went to check out your ring and I agree with what you said on that thread, it looks great and I can''t believe it''s an I. I am hesitant about I color diamonds as well because I could see the tint in my mom''s diamond. But in the picture of your cushion, it looks great!!! Thanks for the link to GOG. That is much more of what I am looking for.

Charmypoo- Love your ring. Love your setting. Was it a custom setting? That is exactly what I am looking for. I did find a couple with 8 main thin pavilions and from the pictures it is exactly what I am looking for. But I found them a bit late and they had already been claimed. The only one available at the moment that I can see is way out of my budget.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results