shape
carat
color
clarity

Advice on color

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Binister

Rough_Rock
Hello all,

I have a question regarding color. I am looking at two diamonds right now. Both H&A, Super Ideal Cuts. One however is a D and the other is an H in color. My question to everyone is, will an H color diamond look too yellow/brown/non-white
2.gif
in a platinum setting?

Thanks.

niceice

Brilliant_Rock
The H may not look "yellow brown" in a platinum setting, but the D will look a whole lot brighter, especially from a side view... Color in diamonds is best thought of like this... You'll see it "if" you're looking for it... We can see color even in a D color stone, but hey, this is what we do all day long... If a friend dropped by and you offered him a glass of water, the odds are that they would drink it without thinking... And if you stirred in a single drop of yellow food coloring before giving them the glass, they would still probably drink it without giving it a thought... But if you handed them the glass and asked "does this water look a little yellow to you?" they would probably stare at the glass for awhile but may or may not see the color... Diamond color is like this for most people...

optimized

Shiny_Rock
"We can see color even in a D color stone..."

Huh? Can you expatiate on that statement for me?

-Tim

diamondsman

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
wavey.gif
H color is the lowest I would go with in a platinum setting,You should not see any yellow ,but....
if you would put a D color next to it you will see a big difference, Why not compromise and go for an F color!

good luck

fire&ice

Ideal_Rock
----------------
On 3/12/2003 11:32:56 PM Binister wrote:

Hello all,

I have a question regarding color. I am looking at two diamonds right now. Both H&A, Super Ideal Cuts. One however is a D and the other is an H in color. My question to everyone is, will an H color diamond look too yellow/brown/non-white
2.gif
in a platinum setting?

Thanks.
----------------

I think NiceIce's analogy is a good one.

I think it depends what you are looking for. Many women prefer a larger H stone than a smaller D stone. My first stone is an F. My 20th anniv. stone is an I w/ med/strong blue fluor. I see little difference in color; and love my big stone. It is set in platinum w/ f/g side baguettes. I was shown an I w/o bl. fluor & saw quite a bit of body color. Diamonds are graded face down. Sometimes what one preceives face up can be different.

DancinGirl

Shiny_Rock
I have to disagree with some people. Yes color is important - but I'll say from expereience, I had a I color set in white gold (looks like platinum pretty much) and the stone looked beautiful. Just make sure you get an IDEAL cut so it sparkles, and the color won't matter as much. If you are going to set it with stones on the sides, make sure they are the same color though. If they are a whiter color, it will make the stone look yellowish. If it's going to be a solitaire, you are all set. But H-I is still near colorless, and I personally enjoyed mine while I had it. (and when I replaced it, I got an H color and a bigger carat size) And how often is your fiance going to go around comparing her color to other peoples? I doubt it. She will LOVE whatever you get her because it is from YOU, and that is all that should matter!
2.gif

My two cents for what it's worth!
9.gif

timbo

Rough_Rock
For what its worth...I fought with the same thing in an EC...Did I want a 1.5 H or a 1.3 D. As I looked at both stones together....absolutely no doubt the D was much cleaner looking..therefore I went with the smaller D color stone.

Good luck!

AmPm

Rough_Rock
Hi Binister,
A "H" colour diamond would be fine in a platinum setting, However I would suggest not going lower than a H if you are concerned about colour. As the diamonds are both Super Ideal Cuts they should both face up white, the "D" will be whiter particulary to the trained eye.
GOOD LUCK!

Giangi

Ideal_Rock
A 'H' color ideal cut diamond will look just fine and will face white once set in a ring...
DancinGirl, I agree with you 100%...

fire&ice

Ideal_Rock
----------------
On 3/13/2003 1:37:50 PM Giangi wrote:

A 'H' color ideal cut diamond will look just fine and will face white once set in a ring...
----------------

Giangi, the diamond in question is an emerald. Don't they show body color easier? Edited to add:
OOPS! wrong thread.

clementine

Shiny_Rock
The color depends on the stone. I'm also looking at an H stone, and was comparing it to 2 other H graded stones (all EGL) and there was a BIG difference in colors. My jeweler said that 2 of the 3 were on the "I" side of H, and that the one was on the "G" side of H. The two looked very yellow compared the the other.

Just my experienc. Hope that helps some.

pricescope

Ideal_Rock
Clementine:
----------------
The color depends on the stone. I'm also looking at an H stone, and was comparing it to 2 other H graded stones (all EGL) and there was a BIG difference in colors. ...
----------------
Color shouldn't depend on the stone, Clementine.
1.gif

I would rephrase it: "The color depends on the LAB!".

You probably aren't aware that some labs are more strict with gradings than the others.

That's why EGL graded stones cost about 8%-10% less in the trade than the ones graded by GIA or AGS.

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
Nice Ice--I too would be interested in hearing how your trained eyes can detect color in a D stone!

Binister--Have you seen the stones in person? Did you compare the D to the H? Do you see a marked difference? H should face up white as long as its a strong H and not a weak I. I've even seen really beautiful white I's. But you have to look. I would think you'd be fine with an H in a platinum setting, we have seen quite a few pix on here of people who purchased H's with no problem at all in platinum. I wouldn't go any further though, unless you have seen the stone and confirmed that its face up white. D is colorless (or s/b anyway) so there will be a difference between the 2 stones when you compare them side by side upside down. But in a setting, the diamond should face up white. My stone is a G and its white white white. I get tons of compliments on how white it is. I cleaned my coworkers ring yesterday for fun and she has a D/VVS1 .80c stone. Mine looked WAY better and just as white and clean. Of course I did not tell her this but was privately a little giddy. When we were buying our stone she told me the story of how they decided to get a smaller 'better quality' stone, 'nearly flawless' etc...
9.gif

Lugus

Shiny_Rock

----------------
On 3/13/2003 5:57:30 PM Mara wrote:

Mine looked WAY better and just as white and clean. Of course I did not tell her this but was privately a little giddy. When we were buying our stone she told me the story of how they decided to get a smaller 'better quality' stone, 'nearly flawless' etc...

9.gif

----------------
Foolish things....why anyone puts their diamond next to my fiance's I'll never know, but still they do.....

I'm laughing right along with you Mara.
1.gif

barry

Shiny_Rock
On 60:60 cuts and variations thereof I would not
go below G-High H in Platinum settings.

As far as Super-Ideals are concerned we have set
our 'J' colors in Platinum and they "face-up"
very white.

Barry
www.superbcert.com

DancinGirl

Shiny_Rock

Thanks Giangi - I always knew you were a smart cookie!
2.gif

Dancin Girl
13.gif

Giangi

Ideal_Rock
Hey DancinGirl... Don't you know that great minds think alike!!!!!!!!!!!!!???
9.gif
9.gif

DancinGirl

Shiny_Rock
Giangi -

BUT OF COURSE!!!

(wink wink)
2.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results