shape
carat
color
clarity

Advice on buying PP lever back earrings

Steel

Ideal_Rock
I need to get cracking on my anniversary present or scrap the idea altogether and these choices have made the cut:

http://www.pearlparadise.com/White-Freshadama-Pearl--Diamond-Earrings3041.aspx
$113
White Freshadama Pearl & Diamond Earrings, WG with shepherds hook, no fastner. Standard 7.5-8mm.

http://www.pearlparadise.com/White-Freshadama-Pearl--Diamond-Earrings3037.aspx
$169
White Freshadama Pearl & Diamond Earrings, WG, Lever back. Standard 7.5-8mm.

http://www.pearlparadise.com/Akoya-Pearl--Diamond-Earrings-1008.aspx
Starts from $211
Akoya Pearl & Diamond Earrings, choose silver/rose/ivory tones, WG, AA/AAA. Sizes from 7-7.5mm

The pictures save as a link on my desktop so I can't post them here for you.

I emailed PP and got a lovely e-mail from Jeremy saying they usually turn around a pair of earrings in a day. So if I order soon, as long as customs aren't a PITA, they might get here for our anni.

My concerns about buying are these:
I want them round, with great, no spectacular lustre and inclusion free.
Ideally I wanted to sleep in them too, but I think I might have to scrap that one.
I would buy the shepherds hooks in a heartbeat because I love them but I know I would lose them without fasteners and they don't mention that you can have AAA pearls.
I am slightly concerned that the lever back might hug/dig into my lobes and be uncomfortable.
I want them to last.

I know herekitty has the plain version of the leverbacks and they look great but I don't remember where I saved her picture from so I don't know what she said about them. herekitty If you read this - would you let me know?

Finally - I am thinking the Akoya are the 'best choice', Jeremy said any of the akoya options are guaranteed to be round (otherwise I need AAA in freshwater). So if you agree that this is the one to choose, how do I choose an overtone?

steal.. what is your budget?

If you can go a bit higher, this is what i would do...

I would buy these: http://www.pearlparadise.com/7580-mm-White-Hanadama-Pearl-Stud-Earrings2610.aspx
0r the smaller size: http://www.pearlparadise.com/7075-mm-White-Hanadama-Pearl-Stud-Earrings-2609.aspx

and set them in these: http://www.pearlparadise.com/Romance-Diamond-Dangle-Earring-14K-Gold1570.aspx

Total would be: $353-$438... but they would be drop dead gorgeous

Otherwise, I would go with the freshadama pair you had listed.. but the Hanadama (link above) will be SPECTACULAR! :bigsmile: ::)

Steel

Ideal_Rock
bean|1289584647|2763491 said:
steal.. what is your budget?

If you can go a bit higher, this is what i would do...

I would buy these: http://www.pearlparadise.com/7580-mm-White-Hanadama-Pearl-Stud-Earrings2610.aspx
0r the smaller size: http://www.pearlparadise.com/7075-mm-White-Hanadama-Pearl-Stud-Earrings-2609.aspx

and set them in these: http://www.pearlparadise.com/Romance-Diamond-Dangle-Earring-14K-Gold1570.aspx

Total would be: $353-$438... but they would be drop dead gorgeous

Otherwise, I would go with the freshadama pair you had listed.. but the Hanadama (link above) will be SPECTACULAR! :bigsmile: ::)

:o I never saw that section - you can mix & match! So cool.
My budget is non existent - so $200 - maybe $250 is all I have.

Thanks B.

I would just do the freshadama then (second link you provided) .. I've been eyeing those too! remember to google "pearl paradise pearl points" for the coupon code for $15 off.. if you wanted, you could even go up to the 8.5-9mm size ($199, so $185 after coupon)

I guess another thing I should say.. if you can wait.. sometimes PP does a 14% off sale in December, and sometimes they have a cyber monday sale but no word on those yet..

Steel

Ideal_Rock
Thank you so much. Yes I found the points Whooooooooo for $15 off.

About the mix & match - it works out cheaper than the ready made sets for seemingly the same. Am I missing something?

I thought the Akoya were the 'best' out of my posted ones :confused: .

BTW I am in love with the hanadama pearls. Me likey! :love: Unfortunately, when I open my purse, moths fly out.

Well I would say that since you are on a budget that the freshadama will be just fine :twirl: they are perfectly round, and very shiny.. I think they are a little more durable too.

I'm not sure where you are at, but you could always order a pair of each and return one of them.

Brown.Eyed.Girl

Ideal_Rock
Steal, I have a couple Freshadama studs, and I ordered a pair of Freshadama leverbacks for my mom's friend. She LOVES hers and finds the leverbacks very comfortable to wear.

I think the Freshadamas look great, and are such a great value. They are very very pretty, high lustre, clean pearls.

ETA: I have a thread with a small color comparison if it helps! Link

iLander

Ideal_Rock
You know, I have to tell you, I have a pair of AAA Mikimoto pearl studs, that I've had for about 18-20 years.

I couldn't tell you what the overtone is if you paid me money. . . I should probably post them and you guys can try and figure it out.

I don't think I've ever actually worn them. . . well, maybe once.

My point is, I like the ones you're picking from better than mine!

I actually like the first pair that you picked. I think I would wear those! I like the earrings with no backs, I think they are very comfortable :appl: , and I've never lost an earring. I think they sell a little clear plastic jobbie that you can use as a back, if you're worried about them. But I've never had a problem, except I do forget I'm wearing them and almost showered with them.

4Ranch Girl

Brilliant_Rock
Steal|1289562121|2763170 said:
I need to get cracking on my anniversary present or scrap the idea altogether and these choices have made the cut:

http://www.pearlparadise.com/White-Freshadama-Pearl--Diamond-Earrings3041.aspx
$113
White Freshadama Pearl & Diamond Earrings, WG with shepherds hook, no fastner. Standard 7.5-8mm.

http://www.pearlparadise.com/White-Freshadama-Pearl--Diamond-Earrings3037.aspx
$169
White Freshadama Pearl & Diamond Earrings, WG, Lever back. Standard 7.5-8mm.

http://www.pearlparadise.com/Akoya-Pearl--Diamond-Earrings-1008.aspx
Starts from $211
Akoya Pearl & Diamond Earrings, choose silver/rose/ivory tones, WG, AA/AAA. Sizes from 7-7.5mm

The pictures save as a link on my desktop so I can't post them here for you.

I emailed PP and got a lovely e-mail from Jeremy saying they usually turn around a pair of earrings in a day. So if I order soon, as long as customs aren't a PITA, they might get here for our anni.

My concerns about buying are these:
I want them round, with great, no spectacular lustre and inclusion free.
Ideally I wanted to sleep in them too, but I think I might have to scrap that one.
I would buy the shepherds hooks in a heartbeat because I love them but I know I would lose them without fasteners and they don't mention that you can have AAA pearls.
I am slightly concerned that the lever back might hug/dig into my lobes and be uncomfortable.
I want them to last.

I know herekitty has the plain version of the leverbacks and they look great but I don't remember where I saved her picture from so I don't know what she said about them. herekitty If you read this - would you let me know?

Finally - I am thinking the Akoya are the 'best choice', Jeremy said any of the akoya options are guaranteed to be round (otherwise I need AAA in freshwater). So if you agree that this is the one to choose, how do I choose an overtone?

My favorite earring setting is the "Romance" setting which is your 2nd choice from above. I have 2 pair of Tahiatian earrings with this setting and in 2 weeks when I go to PP I will be comming home with a pair of white south seas with this setting. I love the dangle and the diamond for a little sparkle. Since you have a budget my reccomendation would be to get the largest and best pearl your budget will allow and just have it set on a post. In a couple of months when you can get the setting of your choice have the pearls reset.

If you use Mr Rebates you will get 6% back, pearl points is $15 off or wait until December when there is usually a good discount offered.

Steel

Ideal_Rock
Thanks again B, and thank you B.E.G, Ilander and 4Ranch Girl!
I am going to try and tackle this tomorrow so I will be back then to carefully read through your posts and decide. Until then....

BTW, B: I love the new avatar!!!!!!

pearlsngems

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have the leverback findings from PP and I do find they dig into my earlobe on the left (the hole on my left ear is a bit higher than my right.) The finding is *okay* on the right ear, but to be honest, I wish the finding were a little roomier.

If you have petite ear lobes (I don't) or if your holes are placed relatively low on your ear lobes, you should be okay.

HHPmom

Brilliant_Rock
I don't have the style from the first link. Although I know there are plastic backings to keep those secure, I don't even bother. I have different pairs of earrings with the plain lever back (Romance w/o diamond), Romance and Glimmer. I love them. They are secure, comfortable and still appropriate for the office (not too dangly). Eventhough there are various websites out there that recommend you to stay away from all types of dangling earrings from the work place, period. I find them not too distracting and still professional enough ( I would never wear large hoops to work). They don't become loose after using the phones like studs.

Steal|1289679416|2764668 said:
Thanks again B, and thank you B.E.G, Ilander and 4Ranch Girl!
I am going to try and tackle this tomorrow so I will be back then to carefully read through your posts and decide. Until then....

BTW, B: I love the new avatar!!!!!!

"We elves try to stick to the four main food groups: candy, candy canes, candy corns and syrup."

ETA just added as my sig. I'm not crazy for quoting this twice.

Steel

Ideal_Rock
B: Haha - love it!

Once again, thank you all for your input. I have spent so much time today trying to decide. I have browsed the threads and oogled your pretties and I'm still lost.

Thanks again HHP for your feedback about the leverbacks. I think though I will rule them out -just in case- I have teeny ears and small spacing between my piercing and the lobe but if they were uncomfy it would be sad - only because it is an anni present. I will come back and get the romance settings in the future.

But, I will go for the shepherds hook and try to find 'findings' at some point. There isn't an option to upgrade the pearls to AAA. Do I need to for perfect roundness and shiny lustre?

And I think I have coaxed DH into buying studs too with the unspent lolly. I love the idea of a silver metallic! I looked and didn't see studs but I see you guys have gotten them made up so I am pondering that..... What would they run to, anybody know?

If you were to recommend a ivory/white pearl stud no more than 7-8mm perhaps even as small as 6-7, where would you point me? About $100 total.

Finally, thank you for the millionth time for your help. It is great to be able to get something special for not so much money.

HHPmom

Brilliant_Rock
Steal|1289755188|2765633 said:

I love the idea of a silver metallic! I looked and didn't see studs but I see you guys have gotten them made up so I am pondering that..... What would they run to, anybody know?

If you were to recommend a ivory/white pearl stud no more than 7-8mm perhaps even as small as 6-7, where would you point me? About $100 total.

Finally, thank you for the millionth time for your help. It is great to be able to get something special for not so much money.

Do a search for "FXE" and here is the result http://www.pearlparadise.com/catalogsearch.aspx?Keywords=fxe&page=1

6.5-7mm $45

7.5-8mm $80

8-8.5mm $90

Steel

Ideal_Rock
HHPmom|1289756942|2765671 said:
Steal|1289755188|2765633 said:

I love the idea of a silver metallic! I looked and didn't see studs but I see you guys have gotten them made up so I am pondering that..... What would they run to, anybody know?

Do a search for "FXE" and here is the result http://www.pearlparadise.com/catalogsearch.aspx?Keywords=fxe&page=1

6.5-7mm $45

7.5-8mm $80

8-8.5mm $90

:o

I am in awe. You clever cloggs! How did you know to do that?

The pictures only show in the last two sizes. Are they all the same overtone; the details don't say anything? Not that I expect you to know everything - but it would be helpful :naughty: ........

Thanks!

HHPmom

Brilliant_Rock
FWN is FW necklace.
FDN is Freshadama necklace.
FXN is metallic FW necklace.

E for earrings.

I think if you want to use the pearl points, you can place the order and put the overtone you would like in the comment/instruction box before checkout. Then follow-up with a phone call or chat with Customer Service to see whether it is available or availability of substitute overtone.

galeteia

Brilliant_Rock
After looking at your posted links, and re-looking at the first set (several times, for minutes at a time), all I can say is oh baby, oh baby. :love:

I am really not a square cut fan so it's saying something that I think they look so much cleaner and sleeker than the ones set with a round. I think your best option is with the mix-and-match route. I have gotten custom work done from PP before (a lavender teardrop pendant for my MIL) and they were very flexible and willing to combine pearls/settings that were not an option to mix together on the site.

Steel

Ideal_Rock
I'll be back to this thread soon with an update. Thanks again for everybody’s help. Things are on hold for a little bit.

Steel

Ideal_Rock
I have come back again to say I BOUGHT SOMETHING!!!!!! I will post pictures when they arrive.

:appl:

Lovinggems

Ideal_Rock
Can't wait to see them Steal!

iLander

Ideal_Rock
I think you are going to love them, Steal. They remind me of Meryl Streep's earrings in It's Complicated. They look so good ON the ears, all swingy and beautiful and classic! :appl:

Steel

Ideal_Rock
Thanks girls! Watch this space....

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results