shape
carat
color
clarity

advice on appraisal

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

nette

Rough_Rock
So I have a local jeweler that I frequent. I''ve been looking around for diamond earrings for awhile (waiting for the tax return
2.gif
). She can get a good price on a SI pair, but it wouldn''t have a certificate. It would only come with a stamped appraisal. Sounds too risky huh? But we have been going to her for awhile now, and she would have alot to lose if she was putting out bad stones. HELP!

Giangi

Ideal_Rock
What's the ct weight?

nette

Rough_Rock
Oops! The weight is 1.11. I didn't get to look at it personally. I still have to get alot more details, but with just an appraisal certificate, would it be too much of a risk?

Richard Sherwood

Ideal_Rock
-----------
would it be too much of a risk?
-----------

Nette, it's no risk at all if you make the sale contingent upon the earrings appraising out to your satisfaction with an independent appraiser.

It's a reasonable request, which most dealers will go along with.

Giangi

Ideal_Rock
So each stone is about 0.55ct... Well, at that size is common to find uncertified SIs... So don't worry too much about that...
Also, I agree with Rich... Get an indipendent, unbiased appraisal for the peace of your mind!
1.gif

nette

Rough_Rock
Thanks for the advice!

Out of curiousity why wouldn't alot SI's not have certificates?

Giangi

Ideal_Rock
'Cause certs are fairly expensive (a GIA report for a 0.50 is more then 100$ plus 2 insured shippings), so they do not always warrant the cert expenses... Also keep in mind that while 0.50 is a nice size, it isn't yet that big and expensive, especially if we're talking about SIs... But, should you want a certified stone, it should be easy to find...
1.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results