shape
carat
color
clarity

Advice on an SI1

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Dukegirl

Rough_Rock
Please let me know what you think. I set up an appointment to actually look at the stone at Dirt Cheap Diamonds. That way I should be able to see whether you can see the inclusions.

Stock Number: 1710552
Laboratory: GIA
Carat Weight: 1.03
Color: J
Clarity: SI1
Shape: Round

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Depth: 60.9%
Table: 57%
Polish: EX
Symmetry: VG

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Culet: N
Girdle: MED TO STK
Fluorescence: None
Measurements: 6.51x6.57x3.98

It is listed in their "Best Cuts" for $2854. What do people think?

Giangi

Ideal_Rock
The stone looks very good to me. Price is excellent too! Ask them to get a Sarin report...

Dukegirl

Rough_Rock
Thanks Giangi. What is a Sarin report and how long it take to get one?
1.gif

AnnaMagdalena

Rough_Rock
A sarin report gives information about the proportions of the cut. It tells you the angles and/or % of the crown and pavilion, as well as the table and total depth. It's important to get this information because a well-cut stone will sparkle and have a larger "spread" (diameter across the top) than a poorly cut stone. (The spread you listed is right on for a stone of that carat weight.) The fact that they market the stone as "best-cut" does not guarantee that it is truly cut to good proportions.

I'm not sure how long it will take to get the report, but you should certainly ask for it.

Good luck!
-Anna Magdalena
wavey.gif

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock

They may already have a Sarin on the stone...if so then saves a little time.

Good luck..the stone sounds nice but you would need more info to make an educated decision, even after seeing the stone. Crown and pav angles can be crucial.

1.gif

Dukegirl

Rough_Rock
Oh my gosh, oh my gosh, oh my gosh!

We went to DCD tonight. Jim was SOOOOOOO nice and helpful and answered all our questions and gave us more education than we'd ever imagine. Waaaay more than any of the local jewelers we went to.

Anyway, both stones we looked at (he said they would basically make a perfect set of earrings...that's how matched they were!) were wonderful. They faced up absolutely beautful and perfectly white, even though they were J's. As for the SI1 clarity...absolutely eye clean. And so sparkly, sparkly, sparkly! Oh my goodness!

Anyway, in the end we went with the stone with more inclusions on the GIA map because it was actually cleaner looking than the other stone. Not so much with the naked eye (both eye clean) but under the microscope the 1.03-ct was just cleaner than the 1.02. The 1.02 had a feather right along the girdle and Jim suggested that all other factors equal he would go with the other one because it would give us piece of mind with respect to the setting. So we went with the 1.03, which, nice surprise, was actually $109 cheaper!!!!!

Oh my gosh. It was such a great experience and I would never hesitate to recommend DCD to anyone considering buying online. Granted we were lucky in that we live in the DC area and could drive to Frederick to look at the stones, but he was just such a straight shooter that I would feel totally comfortable with the purchase had we bought sight-unseen! And Eric, who originally balked at the idea of buying online, was totally relaxed and confortable and came out of there completely pleased with the whole thing.

It is being set in a yellow gold 6-prong classic solitaire setting. We should be getting it no later than Wednesday. Oh my gosh---I am so excited! Can you tell?!?!?!?

appl.gif
love.gif
1.gif
love.gif
appl.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results