shape
carat
color
clarity

Advice on an oval cut please

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
lots of mush, ie areas that are not actively returning light even when moved.

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Of the ones that @DejaWiz posted I put the 1.05 in 3rd place. The other two were better. What draws you to this one vs. the other
two?

I consider "nice ovals" to have more "good" facets show up as the stone is rotated. This is the 1.3. It takes quite a rotation for
more good facets to show up but they do.
1.3 oval.png

Here is the 1.05. The only nice facets coming out of the center towards the long ends is a little bit that shows up with
the stone straight on. As the stone turns more that area goes mushy and stays mushy.

small facets.png

A look at a further rotation of the 1.05. The blue area goes mushy and stays mushy.
still mushy.png

I know what I'm trying to show you is difficult to see and it is a difficult nuance to pick up on. You should spend a lot of
time on James Allen looking at ovals (spin them) and look for large, bright facets to show up heading towards the rounded
ends of the oval.

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm going to post some ovals that have good light return so you know what to look for...these may or may not be in the specs you
are looking for.

beautiful 6 main

8 main straight across - unfortunate thick girdle

8 main

8 main

8 main thick girdle

4 main

Trying to find some 8 main offsets with good light return (they are hard to find)

You want color...here it is... it's a brown-tinted J though. I think you're looking for a yellow tint?

Good luck!

DejaWiz

Ideal_Rock
Of the ones that @DejaWiz posted I put the 1.05 in 3rd place. The other two were better. What draws you to this one vs. the other
two?

I consider "nice ovals" to have more "good" facets show up as the stone is rotated. This is the 1.3. It takes quite a rotation for
more good facets to show up but they do.
1.3 oval.png

Here is the 1.05. The only nice facets coming out of the center towards the long ends is a little bit that shows up with
the stone straight on. As the stone turns more that area goes mushy and stays mushy.

small facets.png

A look at a further rotation of the 1.05. The blue area goes mushy and stays mushy.
still mushy.png

I know what I'm trying to show you is difficult to see and it is a difficult nuance to pick up on. You should spend a lot of
time on James Allen looking at ovals (spin them) and look for large, bright facets to show up heading towards the rounded
ends of the oval.

This is extremely helpful...I'm not a super oval assessor by any means, but I'm trying to learn.
Ovals are my nemesis LOL

violetlaurel

Rough_Rock
Thank you, I just thought it looked more sparkly and clear than my previous one. I found another that I like. Referenced above. I really appreciate all the advice! Thank you!!

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The 1.04 is very similar to the 1.05 so pretty much the same comments.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results