shape
carat
color
clarity

Advice on an Emerald cut stone

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Zedeff

Rough_Rock
I have a very trusted jeweler who I like to shop with who has been selling to my family for 4 generations. I am looking for an engagement ring and I initially approached the purchase with the following criteria in mind:

$10k budget
Likely a solitaire in white gold or platinum
I PREFER to do something unique and "off the beaten path" because I''m a rather eclectic person by nature; that is, if I could avoid a Round Brilliant or Princess cut and find something equally nice or nicer, I would (I am particularly fond of Asscher and Emerald cuts)

So my jeweler pulled out some loose stones and I happened to see one that, of course, was a touch outside my price range.

2.56 ct very good Emerald cut
VS1 clarity
L colour
around $11k (converted to US funds from Canadian dollars)

My questions with this stone basically surround the colour. At an L, the stone certainly doesn''t pass as white, but it also isn''t blatantly yellow. Would it be fair to suggest that these stones have a very limited market because from both perspectives (white or coloured) the stone is "flawed"? Is the price range reasonable for a stone of those stats?

I see VERY few emerald cut diamonds - never seen one in person as an engagement ring, only seen them online. Am I completely out of my mind to want an Emerald stone for an engagement ring? Am I better off just going with whatever is common and popular?

Big daddy 48

Rough_Rock
First off a trusted jeweler is hard to find so you have one thing going for you!!! I just purchased an emerald cut for my future wife and was in the same boat as you. It''s hard to find the perfect emerald cut. I finally did
36.gif
I looked at VS1-SI1''s with J-K color till I found the perfect stone. I found a 2.30CT VVS-2 H in Color. I personally wouldn''t go for the L color. I would shop around till you find the right color. I wouldn''t go above an I on an emerald cut as it''s quite noticeable. I have to be honest it was not an easy find. From Harry Winston-Tiffany-Cartier-Debeers,etc. I wound using google as a search tool for other diamonds and found a place called Liori Diamonds. I feel they were fair to me. I paid $14,500.00.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Warmer colored stones have a beauty all their own.

And you have to buy fancy shape diamonds with your eyes.

But the numbers are good to know as well. Can you give us some more information about the diamond?

Is it certified, and if so by what lab? What are the table and depth measurements? How large is the stone (length and width) what is the description of the girdle on the certificate (assuming it has one) and if your jeweler can get the information for you... what is the crown height on the stone.

Meanwhile I'm going for a few stones in your price range just so you can see what else is out there.

jet2ks

Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/31/2009 10:59:31 PM
Author:Zedeff
I have a very trusted jeweler who I like to shop with who has been selling to my family for 4 generations. I am looking for an engagement ring and I initially approached the purchase with the following criteria in mind:

$10k budget
Likely a solitaire in white gold or platinum
I PREFER to do something unique and 'off the beaten path' because I'm a rather eclectic person by nature; that is, if I could avoid a Round Brilliant or Princess cut and find something equally nice or nicer, I would (I am particularly fond of Asscher and Emerald cuts)

So my jeweler pulled out some loose stones and I happened to see one that, of course, was a touch outside my price range.

2.56 ct very good Emerald cut
VS1 clarity
L colour
around $11k (converted to US funds from Canadian dollars)

My questions with this stone basically surround the colour. At an L, the stone certainly doesn't pass as white, but it also isn't blatantly yellow. Would it be fair to suggest that these stones have a very limited market because from both perspectives (white or coloured) the stone is 'flawed'? Step cuts show color more than brilliant cuts, so there is much less demand for lower colors. If you are going to consider a warmer color, make sure you know whether your gf likes them first. Some people love the K-L-M color ranges, but most probably prefer a colorless diamond, especially for an engagement ring. Is the price range reasonable for a stone of those stats? Use the "Pricescope your diamond" at the top of the page to see what some online dealers would charge for a similar stone. A brick and mortar store will usually be a little higher than an online store, say 10-15%.

I see VERY few emerald cut diamonds - never seen one in person as an engagement ring, only seen them online. Am I completely out of my mind to want an Emerald stone for an engagement ring? No, there are some gorgeous Emerald and Asscher cuts on this forum. Here is a thread full of them. https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/emerald-cuts-asschers-a-collection.113993/ Am I better off just going with whatever is common and popular? You are best off figuring out what style and shape your girlfriend likes and getting her that. Does she prefer an Emerald cut, or is that just your preference?

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
When shopping for fancies... it's better to compare the size of the diamond (in mm) instead of it's weight.

Here are a couple of nice looking emerald cuts (there are pics on the site) I found. From the look of it, the price for your L might be pretty fair.

http://www.jamesallen.com/diamonds/I-VS1-Ideal-Cut-Emerald-Diamond-1135178.asp

http://www.jamesallen.com/diamonds/H-VS1-Ideal-Cut-Emerald-Diamond-1203745.asp

http://www.jamesallen.com/diamonds/J-VS1-Premium-Cut-Emerald-Diamond-1171220.asp

Incidentally, my personally opinion on warmer colored stones is that they look amazing in unplated white gold settings.

Emerald cuts are stunning and elegant. If you are the wearer, ANY ring you want is perfect. It could be a ruby, a sapphire, a trillion or a any cut you like.

If you are shopping for someone else. Make sure that your SO is on the same page, both on the color and the shape.

Here is a thread with a lot of Pricescope asschers and emerald cuts in it: https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/emerald-cuts-asschers-a-collection.113993/

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Great advice Jet and Gypsy!!!
36.gif
36.gif
36.gif
36.gif

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Thank you Lorelei.
35.gif

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I prefer a whiter EC but it is personal preference. I think EC are difficult to pick from pictures and numbers so hopefully you can find more EC diamonds to look at in person. Good luck an dhave fun.

bgray

Brilliant_Rock
a beautifully cut step cut can take a JK color range. personally a vs1 L color is too big a spread in parameters. I would start searching online for a stone with optimal cut qualities and pick out anything that falls between vs2 and K............thats where you will find a good value.

DiamanteBlu

Ideal_Rock
I have [what I believe to be] a spectacular EC. It is 6.39 carats and an L color. Here it is next to my mother's H [or maybe it's a G - don't remember] color EC.

A well cut stone can be gorgeous in lower colors. [And they look great with a tan.
9.gif
]

two ECs 1.jpg

DiamanteBlu

Ideal_Rock
Hand shot:

ECA5 flower shot 11.jpg

ericad

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Color is a personal choice. I wear an L colored square emerald/asscher and think it's the most beautiful diamond I've ever seen. Many others would prefer step cuts in higher colors - it just depends. An L is an L and will look like an L - it will never look like a colorless stone therefore you must love it for what it is and be ready to flaunt that L!

If the stone is beautiful to you, run some price comps and determine if the price is fair. You are the one who will wear it and look at it 100 times a day, so get something you love and what is visually beautiful to you!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results