shape
carat
color
clarity

Advice on an A Cut Diamond

Sezacv

Rough_Rock
Hi all. This is my first thread on pricescope. I have been looking for an engagement ring and just find a AGS000 diamond with 1.53 carat, I Colour and SI1 Clarity. Attached is the AGS report. Though a crystal and cloud is shown in the report but the i have been advised that the diamond is eye-clean.

The diamond costs about 10.5K USD. I don’t quite familiar with the price range for AGS certified diamond as its seldom occur in my home country and some people just said AGS should costs less than GIA diamond. Would anyone can tell me if this diamond worth a shot? 3C6BFF47-665D-4BB6-88FA-0767E52FF183.jpeg

maryjane04

Brilliant_Rock
Are you buying this brand new through a vendor or privately/preloved?

Just for comparison:
This one is slightly smaller than yours 1.506ct I SI1 for 11.2k

This one is slightly larger at 1.702ct I SI1 for 14.1k

So 10.5k seems very reasonable :)

Sezacv

Rough_Rock
Are you buying this brand new through a vendor or privately/preloved?

Just for comparison:
This one is slightly smaller than yours 1.506ct I SI1 for 11.2k

This one is slightly larger at 1.702ct I SI1 for 14.1k

So 10.5k seems very reasonable :)

The diamond I attached is also found on Whiteflash! :)

maryjane04

Brilliant_Rock
The diamond I attached is also found on Whiteflash! :)

Then you have picked yourself a winner. Can't get any better than that :)

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Definitely a great choice.

Sezacv

Rough_Rock
Then you have picked yourself a winner. Can't get any better than that :)

I'm just concerning about the little cloud as shown in the report. Am i over worried as whiteflash already claimed it is an eye-clean diamond?

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm just concerning about the little cloud as shown in the report. Am i over worried as whiteflash already claimed it is an eye-clean diamond?

If whiteflash says its eye clean I would trust them

maryjane04

Brilliant_Rock

If you are really worried, ask the Whiteflash reps to tell you. They are very honest and would tell you. But like Lovedogs said - I would trust them.

Sezacv

Rough_Rock
If you are really worried, ask the Whiteflash reps to tell you. They are very honest and would tell you. But like Lovedogs said - I would trust them.

Got it! Thanks all

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
A very nice well cut stone.

MsShnooks

Shiny_Rock
The ACA stones are precision cut so you can tick off the cut box.

I’d worry about the clarity. There’s only a tiny thing marked on the diagram but the description says there are additional clouds and the grading is ‘SI1’ which is pretty included so the diamond might not look transparent and crisp but just not that transparent in some lighting environments (even if it doesn’t have an obvious big, visible inclusion).

With the I colour, you will see a tint in it from the side especially, again depending on the lighting. Might be even more bothersome in sunnier climates. If you’re somewhere like HK, where top colours are favoured, an I held next to a friend’s D-E will be visibly tinted.

If it’s at the top end of the budget, you could always try going to 1.40-1.45ct as the difference in size won’t really be perceptible but you should be able to improve the colour and clarity as there’s a dramatic price jump/drop at 1.5ct.

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The ACA stones are precision cut so you can tick off the cut box.

I’d worry about the clarity. There’s only a tiny thing marked on the diagram but the description says there are additional clouds and the grading is ‘SI1’ which is pretty included so the diamond might not look transparent and crisp but just not that transparent in some lighting environments (even if it doesn’t have an obvious big, visible inclusion).

With the I colour, you will see a tint in it from the side especially, again depending on the lighting. Might be even more bothersome in sunnier climates. If you’re somewhere like HK, where top colours are favoured, an I held next to a friend’s D-E will be visibly tinted.

If it’s at the top end of the budget, you could always try going to 1.40-1.45ct as the difference in size won’t really be perceptible but you should be able to improve the colour and clarity as there’s a dramatic price jump/drop at 1.5ct.

SI1 stones arent "pretty included". That is definitely an overstatement IMHO. The idea that SI1 stones wont look transparent is not correct. Obviously some might have issues but not the stone OP is considering.

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
SI1 stones arent "pretty included". That is definitely an overstatement IMHO. The idea that SI1 stones wont look transparent is not correct. Obviously some might have issues but not the stone OP is considering.

I agree. If Whiteflash has vetted an SI1 stone the inclusions should not compromise the performance or beauty of the diamond. That’s the whole benefit of buying their in house stones. There are strict criteria to meet the ACA threshold.

MsShnooks

Shiny_Rock
I agree. If Whiteflash has vetted an SI1 stone the inclusions should not compromise the performance or beauty of the diamond. That’s the whole benefit of buying their in house stones. There are strict criteria to meet the ACA threshold.

Hopefully.

Sezacv

Rough_Rock
Hopefully.

I also asked WF for the clarity issue and they claimed that the inclusions will not affect the transparency of such diamond.

To MsShnooks, yes i am from HK and looking for diamond overseas. I understand that D-F color are the most popular choice but personally i think G to I is okay for me. At least my soon to be fiancee thinks that a G color diamond which her brother bought 2 years ago is great enough.

As you mentioned about HK i think you understand that carat is the big big deal for HK customers. The diamond i attached is the choice after balacing my budget (around 10k), min. carat (1.5), colour (G to I) after browsing JA & WF current in-stocks. The only concern to me is just about the clarity issue.

Of course i will be appreciated if you have some others suggestions on WF and JA

Last edited:

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
If you can stretch your budget a little bit, I would definitely consider this one. Crafted by Infinity. Should be a very beautiful stone.

Call them and talk to them. They're all very nice. Or email or chat when you go online. Great upgrade program, just like WF. And they have a lifetime buy back policy, 80%. Their stones are stunning. And if you are serious and want to at least see it, put a hold on it. Their stones go quickly. Just FYI.

MsShnooks

Shiny_Rock
I’m actually in London but there seem to be differences between different countries in terms of preferences. G next to a D-F will still look fine although won’t have the iciness of D-E diamonds. I is a fair bit more tinted so it’s easy to see it’s a lower colour. I suppose you can have a look at the ring in different lighting environments and WF has a great reputation for exchange/upgrades if you’re not 100% with it.

Sezacv

Rough_Rock
If you can stretch your budget a little bit, I would definitely consider this one. Crafted by Infinity. Should be a very beautiful stone.

Call them and talk to them. They're all very nice. Or email or chat when you go online. Great upgrade program, just like WF. And they have a lifetime buy back policy, 80%. Their stones are stunning. And if you are serious and want to at least see it, put a hold on it. Their stones go quickly. Just FYI.

Thanks for the advice but that is way out of my budget

Sezacv

Rough_Rock
I’m actually in London but there seem to be differences between different countries in terms of preferences. G next to a D-F will still look fine although won’t have the iciness of D-E diamonds. I is a fair bit more tinted so it’s easy to see it’s a lower colour. I suppose you can have a look at the ring in different lighting environments and WF has a great reputation for exchange/upgrades if you’re not 100% with it.

Maybe i should ask WF to sent me a photo comparing 3 colors together (D H and the I i choosed)?

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Sorry, I read it wrong. Your budget was $10K USD. My bad. I'll try again.

MsShnooks

Shiny_Rock
Maybe i should ask WF to sent me a photo comparing 3 colors together (D H and the I i choosed)?

You could try. I would say it’d be most visible in diffused daylight looking from the side. There are also some YouTube videos that do comparisons.

Sezacv

Rough_Rock
You could try. I would say it’d be most visible in diffused daylight looking from the side. There are also some YouTube videos that do comparisons.

I would ask WF to demonstrate the difference. Apart from the I colour would u think the diamond worth the shot provides that WF claims it is crystal clear?

MsShnooks

Shiny_Rock
I would ask WF to demonstrate the difference. Apart from the I colour would u think the diamond worth the shot provides that WF claims it is crystal clear?

It’s all down to personal preferences. I think the stone will have a lot of fans on here that would be happy to snap it up.

Personally, I wouldn’t get an I with SI clouds. I’m just upgrading my I-J/SI1-2 jewellery bought before I knew better. The caveat being that I live in London and often shop in Harrods and Bond Street. It’s enough for me to walk past the windows of high end jewellers (eg Harry Winston, Boodles or Cartier) and look at my old pieces to see they look awful. However, away from the fine display windows, they look ok (but I can still see the bothersome tint). So I’d say it depends on where you hang out/ shop/how colour-sensitive your girlfriend is/how fine her friends‘ rings are in case they hold them close to each other.

MsShnooks

Shiny_Rock

This is a link to the edu section to give you a bit of an idea.

Double E

Brilliant_Rock
G would be a fine choice, but not sure for I. U know in HK~
The only way to determine may be having the stone sent to u and view it in person. There’s cost sending it back and forth, but not massive considering the value of the whole ring. But, problem is, u r not your love who wear it, I guess u wanna surprise her?
As for AGS vs GIA, more chance is jewellers in HK know little about AGS. We can get more info here in PS, particularly the way of cut grading is more convincing.

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hopefully.

Not "hopefully ". That is literally what it means to buy an in house diamond from WF. I'm not sure why you are casting doubt here, but you are (frankly) misinformed. It isnt helpful to cast doubt when you are saying things that arent accurate.

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Not "hopefully ". That is literally what it means to buy an in house diamond from WF. I'm not sure why you are casting doubt here, but you are (frankly) misinformed. It isnt helpful to cast doubt when you are saying things that arent accurate.

Thank you lovedogs. Misinformation is not only inaccurate but detrimental. I know that from first hand experience.

MsShnooks

Shiny_Rock
Thank you lovedogs. Misinformation is not only inaccurate but detrimental. I know that from first hand experience.

Perhaps you might like to have a look at how different vendors define ‘eye clean’.

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Perhaps you might like to have a look at how different vendors define ‘eye clean’.

I have no idea how that's relevant to the incorrect statements you made. First you said SI1 diamonds are "pretty included", which isnt a blanket statement and certainly not accurate for in house diamonds vetted as eye clean. Then you cast doubt on the fact that WF inspects all in house diamonds accurately and is honest if inclusions have a negative impact on a stone and/or are visible. You were wrong both times. I have no idea why you seem convinced that all SI1 stones, all clouds, and all non D-F stones are problematic, but please stop making false claims as it is detrimental to newer forum users who come here for honest and unbiased advice .

Sezacv

Rough_Rock
I have no idea how that's relevant to the incorrect statements you made. First you said SI1 diamonds are "pretty included", which isnt a blanket statement and certainly not accurate for in house diamonds vetted as eye clean. Then you cast doubt on the fact that WF inspects all in house diamonds accurately and is honest if inclusions have a negative impact on a stone and/or are visible. You were wrong both times. I have no idea why you seem convinced that all SI1 stones, all clouds, and all non D-F stones are problematic, but please stop making false claims as it is detrimental to newer forum users who come here for honest and unbiased advice .

I talked to WF regarding the inclusions, they sent me some magnified photos which i think should be difficult to see with naked eyes, and thats also what they claimed. I also express my concern on how the inclusions affect the performance and transparency of the diamond, just like lovedogs said the SI1 ACA has been vetted by WF and make sure that it wont pose any negative effect on the transparency and duribility.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results