shape
carat
color
clarity

Advice on almost 6 ct no heat sapphire ring

Pinkmartini87

Brilliant_Rock
6C3DA6A2-25E5-4F50-84A9-5C6504C705EC.jpeg Dear all,

When it comes to sapphires, I’ve always been partial to the non trade ideal color of a lighter and violetish hue, and a fan also of color shifting/changing sapphires. I already have a violet sapphire ring, but thinking of purchasing this antique ring listed for $16400 for my right hand to balance things out:lol::
1) 5.8 carats mixed cut
2) color change light violet to light blue, unheated
3) with side diamonds weighing .50 carats.
4) platinum setting

What do you all think with regards to the price?
My gut feeling is that it is too high (the stone does have some eye visible inclusions on the center). Should I try to negotiate and if so, what should I offer? $8000-9000?

Many thanks as always for your help.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Too high for very obvious inclusions smack dab in the middle. Independent lab report to prove it is untreated?

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I like the color of the stone but, being that you're looking outside trade ideal, the price seems quite high to me. It does have the size of course but sounds to me like they're pricing for that platinum setting and the fact its a sapphire and less about the color of said stone. At a price of 16K I would expect the stone to be slightly vibrant than this. (and I could forgive more if there was more vibrant color)

You COULD offer 8K but look for them to say no.

Before all that I would ask if its been seen by an independent lab and ask to view the report. If you just really adore the stone then you can take that part on but make it contingent on the sale of the ring that it must come back as unheated. Also, make sure that there's a return period in case something were to happen where the stone did not come back as described.

But can't lie, for me the inclusion pattern is..bothersome. Meaning that on a ring that size, every time you look at it, you're always going to see them. Some can look past that and some cannot. You have to decide what type of person you are. The inclusions could also compromise the sparkle that this stone could have.

PinkAndBlueBling

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I'd pass. Think I'd spend my time wearing it trying to wipe it clean, mistaking the inclusions and lack of decent clarity as dirt!
THIS! When I saw the picture, all I wanted to do was wipe the stone off! The setting is lovely, and I, too, prefer the lighter blues, but the line of inclusions would drive me crazy.

Pinkmartini87

Brilliant_Rock
@chrono @T L @minousbijoux @MrsKMB @Arcadian

Thank you all for your thoughtful responses and great points. I think I too may find the inclusions bothersome over time so will pass!

Would any of you be able to recommend a spinel alternative of this same color?

I’ve done some rudimentary research on sapphire prices for a lighter violet unheated stone over 5 carats and they seem to be averaging at least $1500-2000 per ct? Does that sound about right? And how much do you all think a spinel providing the same finger coverage may cost? (Since I know SG of spinel and sapphire are different so can’t do a 1:1 carat comparison). Likely less?

I feel as though this lighter violet color may be reproduced by a spinel and be at a more affordable price point than perhaps a sapphire equivalent.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
A spinel that color is very rare and expensive, especially in a large size. It’s a fallacy these days that spinels are cheaper alternatives to sapphires. Their prices are skyrocketing.

I would look to aquamarine even though it has a lower RI and is less durable, if you like that color. Just buy from a reputable dealer that knows their source well.

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The inclusions wokld drive me crazy and the large window would also be something that bothered me whenever I looked at it. The price is astronomically too high for the quality of the stone, so I'd definitely pass.

Pinkmartini87

Brilliant_Rock
@T L Thanks for the information re spinels. I did not know that they are as expensive as sapphires nowadays, that’s a shame.

Do aquamarines come in that same violetish hue? I always thought they tend to be more pure light blue.

Pinkmartini87

Brilliant_Rock
@lovedogs Thanks for taking the time to write! Yes, that was my gut feeling also that it may be priced too high. I feel like maybe if it was half off I would consider (although the more I look at the inclusion the more I think I may not even want to pay half price at $8000!)

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
No, aqua does not come in a violet hue. I was just thinking of a light bluish stone. The only other affordable gem in that color that I can think of is a pale tanzanite, but they’re not durable.

AV_

Ideal_Rock
Comparable colour & room to have the crown recut in a similar model if you wished - WWW - nothing so serious regarding clarity...

arkieb1

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I doubt you will find a blue spinel that colour in a size above 5 carats and if you did it would probably be substantially more cost wise than the ring you posted. Look for a clean decent cut sapphire that colour, they are out there.... This one has a huge window in the centre of it so I don't recommend it but you can see the price as a comparison;

https://www.ebay.com/itm/5-02-Cts-N...050264?hash=item1a78ee90d8:g:OxwAAOSwONBZCc0v

Pinkmartini87

Brilliant_Rock
@arkieb1 and @AV_ Thank you both for taking the time to find examples to show me, I find them always to be so helpful. However I don’t understand why such the big price difference between the 7+ carat unheated stone for $7000 in the link that @AV_ shared, and the only $2000 price tag for the 5+ carat unheated stone in the link that @arkieb1 shared. Could a difference in two carat sizes account for more than a tripling in price, or are there other qualities at play?

Reactions: AV_

AV_

Ideal_Rock
Prices do not have to make sense.

(I cannot open the Ebay link)

... at the same shop I have mentioned, there are much lower priced sapphires over 5 cts - the one I picked stands out for colour & proportions (not flat).

Last edited:

Bron357

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I’d pass on that one.
The inclusions are both noticeable and smack bag in the middle, not good.
The gem may have a significant window (see through to finger underneath) again not good in a pale gem.
The colour is very pale, so that’s a minus.
The setting might be platinum but it’s uninspiring and too modest for a $16,000 ring, even an $8,000 ring.
Me, with a big stone if you are going to have diamonds, HAVE diamonds not wee specks.

Bron357

Ideal_Rock
Premium
90642D17-76EC-4E58-9084-211B3C011C95.jpeg A4A49F12-FCF7-422D-AA32-FC38F419F571.jpeg Just for price comparisons.
These are star sapphires but bigger size, more diamonds and either is under $4,000! (eBay business sellers)

Pinkmartini87

Brilliant_Rock
@Bron357 thanks for your valuable insight as always! Is it true that faceted sapphires cost more than cabochon sapphires given of course same carat weight, color, etc? I’m not a big fan of star sapphires or Cabochon cut stones for some reason.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results