shape
carat
color
clarity

Advice on a stone and alternatives =)

joelh

Rough_Rock
Hello everyone! I'm hoping to make my first diamond purchase for an engagement ring soon! This is my first post after doing quite a bit of reading for two weeks. Everything on pricescope has been so helpful!

I was wondering what you all think of this stone here?
http://www.whiteflash.com/loose-diamonds/round-cut-loose-diamond-2632639.htm

It shows 2.4 vg/vg/vg/vg HCA
I realize that the crown angle, at 35.4, is a bit high according to some people, which is why I ask. The IS little light leakage right in the center - am I correct that this is due to the facet? And also, one of the edges has a small facet in the report, is this a terrible thing?

My girlfriend and I were hoping to spring for a different stone .9x range HCA1.4-I/VS2 that was absolutely gorgeous, but I was literally 5-10 minutes too slow to reserve it - alas, it is now gone. If anybody has alternative recommendations, I am open to suggestions. Due to my budget, I am hoping to find something around the lines of .9 ct, hearts & arrows, and minimum I/VS2. Perhaps SI1 if nothing is visible under the table. AGS(0) all around like the one above would be superb ~$5,000 if possible; a $5,500 ceiling is quite a stretch for me but I am willing if the diamond is right!

Thank you all so much! =)

joelh

Rough_Rock
minmin001,

Thank you for that link. Is it a better option than the 0.90 I-VS1 at Whiteflash? James Allen's 0.90 G-VS2 does come back with a higher HCA, but is it worth requesting a report from them at this time? I just got off the phone with James Allen and they said that I should wait until I have three stones to decide between; they'll only provide the service to me once (for three stones total). It didn't sound like they were too eager to send me anything at all.

In contrast, Whiteflash promised me a same day email with additional 40x images, a hearts photo, a faux setting on hand photo, and anything else they might have.

Thanks
Joel

minmin001

Ideal_Rock
does request a idealscope image and hearts image part of that report thing? if not just request those two, it seems to be a promising stone by the numbers but we can't give you much more suggestion unless we can see those images. None the less I'd suggest you to put a hold on the diamond so someone else doesn't get it before you have the change to decide.

joelh|1304701711|2914040 said:
minmin001,

Thank you for that link. Is it a better option than the 0.90 I-VS1 at Whiteflash? James Allen's 0.90 G-VS2 does come back with a higher HCA, but is it worth requesting a report from them at this time? I just got off the phone with James Allen and they said that I should wait until I have three stones to decide between; they'll only provide the service to me once (for three stones total). It didn't sound like they were too eager to send me anything at all.

In contrast, Whiteflash promised me a same day email with additional 40x images, a hearts photo, a faux setting on hand photo, and anything else they might have.

Thanks
Joel

joelh

Rough_Rock
Well after two more calls to various James Allen reps, I've managed to find one who was willing to issue an IS request for me on the 0.90 G-VS2. Will definitely be looking forward to seeing it. Hearts image is still a no-go though... Thanks minmin001. I'll post the image when I get it.

Until then, I'm happy to see more suggestions and hear concerns on what has been posted. Thank you everyone!

joelh

Rough_Rock
James Allen got back to me fairly quickly. Here's the .90 G-VS2's SI. I'm not sure what to think of it compared to the other stones though. What do you all think? Thanks

SI.jpg

Gibson486

Rough_Rock
Wow...Are prices going down a little now?

I could have sworn that 1 month ago that all .9ct G VS2's were at least $5500.

The JA has leakage in two spots.

Between that, and the whiteflash....the one at whiteflash does have a better scope pic, but i am not to sure that those leakages under the table will do much....

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Gibson486|1304772584|2914705 said:
Wow...Are prices going down a little now?

I could have sworn that 1 month ago that all .9ct G VS2's were at least $5500.

The JA has leakage in two spots.

Between that, and the whiteflash....the one at whiteflash does have a better scope pic, but i am not to sure that those leakages under the table will do much....

Yeah - they're there, but IRL when you're looking at the stone you couldn't tell they are w/o some serious scrutiny that noone but a real diamond nut is ever going to indulge in - or have the tools to indulge 8) It's definitely not a blight on the stone or anything - in practice there's nothing to suggest that it won't be very nice.

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
I like the JA stone the best because it is a very good value and the IS is better/as good as the WF one. Unless you want the upgrade policy WF has (apparently JA now has a more lenient policy too), then it is a no brainer for me -- a G over and I for only $300 more.

You don't get the same bells and whistles service at JA, but that is how they keep prices lower. You also do not need hearts images as it is not being offered as an H&A stone.

joelh

Rough_Rock
I took my girlfriend to a few stores over the weekend and we looked at various loose stones to see what she would notice in terms of color, and eye-clean VS+ vs SI- lower clarities. Anything less than a F color will probably not work anymore; we realize that it's difficult to distinquish without colorless stones nearby, but we're the kind that get those nagging what-if thoughts. She says "a GH would be okay" but I know that she wants a DEF colorless stone - so that is what I want for her =)

She is happy with moving into the .8x ct range and not having Hearts-Arrows now. While we were looking around, this one at Whiteflash seemed to really catch her attention the other day. I am thinking that this is the one just because she fancies it, but what do you all think of it?

http://www.whiteflash.com/loose-diamonds/round-cut-loose-diamond-2581089.htm
HCA: 1.8 ex/vg/vg/vg
We weren't looking for the VVS1 but this one just happened to be it.

Thank you for all the kindness and help everyone!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results