shape
carat
color
clarity

Advice on a low budget (~3k) Engagement Ring

coconut12

Rough_Rock
Hi all,

I've been reading through the forum for advice, and I think I've convinced myself that I have a slightly better idea of what I'm looking for for an engagement ring than when I started.

The GF is wanting a yellow gold solitaire ring (I think ring size 7 - how much can a ring like this be resized?) with a round cut diamond. I'm shooting for not spending more than about 3k for the entire ring if at all possible. From what I understand, by going with the yellow gold, I can safely go down to more tinted diamonds then I'd otherwise want to against a white gold setting, thereby saving a bit of cash. In my search, I've been focusing on VS1 - SI1, eye clean, Excellent Cut, I/J color, and somewhere in the neighborhood of 0.75 carats.

I've been mainly focusing on James Allen, though I'm open to looking at other options. So far, I've found 2 diamonds at James Allen I like:

1) 0.75 carat VS2 J for $2240. HCA says it has a score of 1.0. I asked them about getting Idealscope images, but they said it's in the inventory of another vendor, so it isn't available. Pictures look pretty good I think though, and no clouds on the GIA certificate https://www.jamesallen.com/loose-diamonds/round-cut/0.75-carat-j-color-vs2-clarity-excellent-cut-sku-2270924?a_aid=55f8cd4e21a11

2) 0.72 carat VS2 J "True Hearts" for $2150. HCA score of 1.7. I guess the hearts and arrows moniker carries some weight, and nothing jumps out at me on the idealscope. https://www.jamesallen.com/loose-diamonds/round-cut/0.72-carat-j-color-vs2-clarity-excellent-cut-sku-2323772

I'd appreciate advice on whether either of those 2 would be a good pick, or if you can find other good sparkly options that'll fit the bill. Colorwise, is going down to J, even on a yellow gold ring, going to mar the appearance appreciably? Should I look to bump up a color or 2 at the cost of ~.05 carats? Would a K diamond be reasonable at this carat range?

Furthermore, I'd love any suggestions on good yellow gold solitaire settings James Allen (or other vendors) have to offer. The notion of 6 vs 4 prong and the myriad of other options is daunting.

Thanks!

MarionC

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I want to chime in on the suggestion to consider the ring from the Pser posted on Louprtroop. I know the person, and the stone is a beautiful, top of the line cut.

coconut12

Rough_Rock
While I'm not conceptually opposed to the idea of a pre-owned ring, the yellow gold setting is a requirement. Theoretically, I guess I could buy that ring and swap out settings, but I feel like that'd unnecessarily add to the cost to everything

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Diamond_Hawk

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Hi coconut12,

I'm in the trade so I cannot comment on specific stones but you'll get plenty of suggestions from the experienced members. I wanted to answer some of your other questions:

coconut12|1482985918|4110253 said:
(I think ring size 7 - how much can a ring like this be resized?)

Solitaire rings with plain shank/band are easier to resize than some of the complex settings like eternity bands, etc. Most retailers are also open to resizing the ring for free, if it's only a matter of a size up or down. Has your bride-to-be tried out rings at local jewelers? That should give you a fair idea about the size.

The notion of 6 vs 4 prong and the myriad of other options is daunting.

You're already getting some great suggestions about the setting. I would like to add that at the carat size that you're looking at, 6 vs. 4 prong is really a matter of design preference as both are equally secure and both allow enough light to enter.

Additionally, I like to suggest all first-time buyers (especially the ones with a budget), to review the upgrade policy from your vendor prior to purchase. Even if you're not thinking of an upgrade right now, you never know if you might want one in the future and some retailers have lifetime upgrade policies.

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm still looking.

bunnycat

Ideal_Rock
soxfan|1483542294|4112249 said:
http://www.diamondbistro.com/category/216/Natural-Diamond-Center/listings/50297/101ct-GIA-J-Si1-Old-European-Cut-diamond-ring,.html

GORGEOUS! I would email and see if it's still available. It's stunning and over a carat!

I think that was GemFevers lovely J and I think it got sold.

bunnycat

Ideal_Rock
Thw preloved WF ring didn't show up in the link when I clicked so here it is again. It is really beautiful!

If you get it and reset it in a simple $200 YG solitaire, you could resell the WG Legato setting and recoup a chunk of that, evening the whole situation out....

However, you do get an upgrade policy by going with somewhere like JA, so that's something to take in to account....

https://loupetroop.com/listings/rings/aca-whiteflash-solitaire

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results