shape
carat
color
clarity

Advice needed: Tennis Bracelet or luxury watch as a wedding gift?

hamandcheese

Rough_Rock
Hi all, apologies if this is in the wrong thread. I need some advice because I’m getting married next year and my mum is very keen on gifting me a tennis bracelet as a wedding present.

Now while I love diamonds, I’m also aware that they don’t have much re-sale value and over time are worth less than a luxury watch. She plans on buying this tennis bracelet from a trusted private jeweller so there is no brand-name attached to it.

I don’t plan on re-selling this gift because it’s after all a present from my dear mum but I guess I just like knowing that my gift has more “value”? And to me, a luxury watch like say Rolex or a Jaeger-lecoultre (yes I’m aware this has not much re-sale value unlike a Rolex but I guess I prefer this over diamonds because it still has a brand-name attached to it vs. an unknown brand tennis bracelet?)

The best option would be to just get both but the budget sadly won’t allow us to get both - it’s either a tennis bracelet or a luxury watch. So the thing is my mum is quite adamant about getting me the bracelet. I think this is because she already has a Rolex which she mentioned will be passed down to me eventually and so she does not understand why I would need another watch.

As I mentioned above, like all girls I too love sparkly diamonds but I’m leaning towards the watch more because of the “value” it holds - plus I’ll also be able to wear it everyday and it has a function i.e. tells me the time. I just can’t justify paying so much for a diamond bracelet which devalues a lot faster over time (vs. a luxury watch) and does nothing but look pretty on my wrist.

Thanks in advance everyone! :)

Bron357

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Tricky.
Firstly even a brand name watch drops in value the moment you buy it unless you are buying limited edition and extremely desired. For eg the Rolex with the rainbow gem dial is selling currently for way more than purchase price because “everyone wants one”.
I have all three, a Rolex, a Reverso and a diamond bracelet.
I buy pre loved so someone else takes the “devaluation hit”.
However if you are never going to sell the piece, resale value matters little.
What should matter is wearability.
True a watch has a function but a diamond bracelet can be worn without taking off.
A Rolex is an automatic movement, most Reversos are quartz battery. Amongst Watch snobs quartz watches are almost intolerable.
Watches do have ongoing costs ie servicing in a Rolex that runs to a few hundred dollars each time. A battery change, don’t go to a kiosk only go to a jeweller, is between $50 and $100 every 2 years.
It’s also tricky because your mother obviously prefers to gift you a diamond bracelet. I can see why she feels a diamond bracelet is more luxury and more wedding gift worthy (same for earrings or a necklace) and a watch is more functional and a less “special gift”.
As for number of watches one can own, I currently have over 40 so it’s fine to have more than one.
Talk to your mother about your preferences, always be thankful and appreciative of any gift but explain that a watch to you is more practical and desirable gift to remember her generosity and your wedding day.
PS I prefer my Reverso over my Rolex.

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Personally, given the choices, personally I would opt for a diamond tennis bracelet, and would steer the person getting this generous gift for me towards a reputable PS vendor, like IDJ or JA or WF.

I already have 3 dress watches that come out from time to time at dressier events. My default day to day watch is a step counter. Perhaps that influenced my choice to the OP's question.

I could always do with more bracelet/bangles so that I could stack them in different combinations as the mood or occasion suits me.

DK :))

lulu_ma

Ideal_Rock
I have both a Rolex and a tennis bracelet. I actually wear my tennis bracelet more than my Rolex since I got a Hermes Apple watch.

The tennis bracelet would be nice because you can actually wear it on your wedding day. If your mom is insists on the bracelet, you may want to go take a peek at different setting styles so you can let your mom know the one you prefer.

HGar

Shiny_Rock
The tennis bracelet would be nice because you can actually wear it on your wedding day.

Lulu_ma I wonder if this is what the OP’s mother is hoping? That the bracelet becomes part of the bridal outfit and therefore a loving memory.

hamandcheese

Rough_Rock
Lulu_ma I wonder if this is what the OP’s mother is hoping? That the bracelet becomes part of the bridal outfit and therefore a loving memory.

My mum did mention that she wants me to have a piece of jewelry to wear on my wedding day. She’s worried I will look too “naked” without any real jewelry (fyi: her idea of real jewelry has to be diamonds).

There are a few reasons why I’m reluctant to purchase diamonds for my wedding:
1. Limited budget - I love diamonds and ideally would love to have both a luxury watch AND diamonds. However because there is limited budget, I feel I should be putting the money towards something that retains “value” better than a non-branded diamond

2. The bracelet does not serve any purpose for me - I feel terrible spending so much on a bracelet to be worn only for those few hours at my wedding. Just seems like such a waste of money?

3. This may sound a bit shallow but a luxury watch with a prestigious brand-name attached to it like a Rolex, JLC, Patek etc just seems wayyy more luxurious to me vs. a tennis bracelet from a non-designer jeweller? It’s not like I’ll be getting a tennis bracelet from Harry Winston, Tiffany’s, Graff etc.

llamacat

Rough_Rock
I get where you're coming from and I agree with discussing it with your mum.

For my wedding I was gifted a tennis bracelet, along with a matching pendant and earrings by my grandmother. She wanted me to wear it on my wedding day and they were all omcs, repurposed from her own jewellery that she doesn't wear anymore.

It was a lovely gift but besides my wedding I have barely worn the tennis bracelet though the earrings and pendant I've got more wear out of.

If she wants to gift you something, potentially to wear on the day, are diamond earrings or a pendant be something you and your mum could consider instead of a tennis bracelet or is she set on it?

lilmosun

Ideal_Rock
Premium
2. The bracelet does not serve any purpose for me - I feel terrible spending so much on a bracelet to be worn only for those few hours at my wedding. Just seems like such a waste of money?

Do you see yourself not wearing a tennis bracelet much after the wedding? (You did say you love diamonds).

I think your mom is looking to gift you with something that will have sentimental value over investment value. You can't put a price on the former and often those pieces are the ones that grow more meaningful with time. Plus as you said, you don't ever see selling...so I would look to honor your mother's intent.

If a tennis bracelet isn't your thing, explain to you mom that it's a lot of money for something you wouldn't get much wear of and as @llamacat suggested - see if there is a piece of jewelry that you can wear on your wedding day and other occasions/regularly.

kara7857

Rough_Rock
I would pick whichever one you're more likely to wear often and treasure, rather than whichever one will hold its value.

My parents let me pick their wedding gift to me and I got a set of earrings/ bracelet/ necklace exactly to my taste (white gold, diamonds, clean lines and timeless designs). I still love them all >10 years later and wouldn't dream of selling them!

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
OP, at the end of the day, it is up to you to decide what suits your budget, taste, and circumstances etc. the most.

Enjoy your big day.

DK :))

chere

Shiny_Rock
her idea of real jewelry has to be diamonds

A woman after my own heart!

It’s great that you’re thinking about this and you can talk to your mom about it. I regret I didn’t go shopping with my mom. She give me a necklace and pendant on my wedding. But I’m not a necklace person and it sits in a safe. I would have worn diamond studs or huggies or a tennis bracelet daily.

Up until a few years ago, a luxury watch would have been high on my wish list but now it’s at the very bottom. My latest Apple watch has LTE and a phone plan. It’s my watch, phone and credit card. When I’m ready to buy a new car, I will be looking for one that I can open and start with my watch. It’s hard to go back to a basic watch since I have to carry a purse, phone, wallet and car keys/fob.

Alybird

Shiny_Rock
Tennis bracelet!

MagpieMama

Rough_Rock
Everyone has their own style/preferences.
I would choose tennis bracelet, which to me looks just as (if not more!) luxurious than a watch precisely because it isn’t functional - just pretty!

Your mom may feel strongly about gifting something that can be worn on your wedding day. If that is the case, suggest a style you will continue to wear and enjoy.

For what it’s worth, tennis bracelets are very versatile. I wear a 7ct (maybe a little less since I shortened it?) tennis bracelet every day, and I never wear a watch - that’s what my phone is for

seaurchin

Ideal_Rock
I'd say there's really no right or wrong here. Since your mother has given you a choice, I'd pick whichever you prefer. And it sounds like you really want the watch.

Personally, I would not assume one will hold its value better than the other though because I don't think we can know that ahead of time when things keep a-changing.

For ex. it could be that mined diamonds go the way of furs, where they're largely considered a big no-no (due to environmental concerns).

It could as easily be that watches go the way of stick pins, not nearly as popular because everyone's wearing an iwatch or just uses the clock on their phone.

Anyway, please let us know what you get!

Last edited:
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results