shape
carat
color
clarity

Advice Needed - Should i get these large pearl studs

cindygenit

Brilliant_Rock
Just needing some expert opinion on whether these mumma pearls look good on me or not please … my partner won’t help me and said both look great i currently have 11-12mm studs. my jeweller offered me 14.4mm slightly button pearls to upgrade 5278B567-7FCE-4667-8F80-B9697E40D3EF.jpeg

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    142.6 KB · Views: 51
  • 5CE881BC-2BF7-4449-8D56-492DA378AF98.jpeg
    5CE881BC-2BF7-4449-8D56-492DA378AF98.jpeg
    145.5 KB · Views: 49

MMtwo

Ideal_Rock
I'm not sure if I qualify as an expert, but I'm happy to give an opinion. However, I think daylight pics may be very helpful to evaluate the earrings and tones of your skin and pearls. Also, would love to also see pictures wearing your current studs for comparison.

cindygenit

Brilliant_Rock
A consideration: they may droop, because of the increased weight / increased torque.
yes i have seen photos of oversized pearls on angelina jolie and they droop massively don’t they? i thought being button they might be better but now i’m thinking this is a false assumption

cindygenit

Brilliant_Rock
I'm not sure if I qualify as an expert, but I'm happy to give an opinion. However, I think daylight pics may be very helpful to evaluate the earrings and tones of your skin and pearls. Also, would love to also see pictures wearing your current studs for comparison.

i’ll take a daylight photo later on with them, i took the photos in the house which maybe not the best hehe

MMtwo

Ideal_Rock
I will second the "yes" to big buttons, I love the look too. I will also echo the great advice given about big backs to support big earrings. Looking forward to day pictures! :)

katbran

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Button shapes vary tremendously . So how well it will sit against your lobe will depend on whether the back of the pearl is reasonably flattened.

Buttons are classed as High Buttons or low buttons. High being very rounded in shape so they look more like a round pearl on you.

I prefer high buttons in around 13mm - combined with the proper supportive backs they will sit well.

cindygenit

Brilliant_Rock
There are no rules. Wear what you want. Big pearls one day and small ones the next.
However, yes buttons and combine them with big backs to hold them perky.

thank you!! i am leaning towards getting them now. haha

cindygenit

Brilliant_Rock
Button shapes vary tremendously . So how well it will sit against your lobe will depend on whether the back of the pearl is reasonably flattened.

Buttons are classed as High Buttons or low buttons. High being very rounded in shape so they look more like a round pearl on you.

I prefer high buttons in around 13mm - combined with the proper supportive backs they will sit well.

i believe this one is a high button my jeweller said it is called “slightly button” which i believe is the same thing as high?

cindygenit

Brilliant_Rock
I have taken more photos in daylight, apologies for the really horrendous camera work! 4542677D-2714-41E7-8BE1-1DC92947F4FE.jpeg ACD758B7-E658-4C04-A660-ECA3BE124373.jpeg 4542677D-2714-41E7-8BE1-1DC92947F4FE.jpeg

Claudia Parrish

Rough_Rock
Trade
Just my personal opinion here, but I think smaller pearls are a more classic and timeless look. Maybe in the future you will get tired of using the big pearls and see them as old-fashioned.

I would suggest smaller sizes for the earrings and bigger sizes for the neck.

If you do go for the big pearls, I would suggest an earring back with a pad of at least 10mm so you can make sure the earrings don’t drop.

MMtwo

Ideal_Rock
I like the size and tone against your skin - very pretty and not old-fashioned to me.

My daughter has large studs and I agree a large back is invaluable to comfort and the look of the studs.

mamong

Rough_Rock
Just my personal opinion; the pearl size you’re wearing on the first pictures looks nice on you and a good size for daily wear, casual or dress-up. If you upgrade to 14mm size earrings, would you wear them as much as your current pair?

Pearlescence

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Indeed. But the OP asked about look

pearlsngems

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Indeed. But the OP asked about look

Yes, but how they hang is also relevant, and I felt the OP should know that light plastic studs will not droop as much as real pearls would. Drooping affects how they look.

Glass imitation pearl studs may give her a better idea of how they will look on the ear, as worn.

LHethrington

Rough_Rock
Just needing some expert opinion on whether these mumma pearls look good on me or not please … my partner won’t help me and said both look great i currently have 11-12mm studs. my jeweller offered me 14.4mm slightly button pearls to upgrade 5278B567-7FCE-4667-8F80-B9697E40D3EF.jpeg

personal opinion - the colour suits your hair colour and skin tone, gorge! i have some big pearl studs and they sometimes droop if the back is loose so make sure you have supportive backs!

cindygenit

Brilliant_Rock
Just my personal opinion here, but I think smaller pearls are a more classic and timeless look. Maybe in the future you will get tired of using the big pearls and see them as old-fashioned.

I would suggest smaller sizes for the earrings and bigger sizes for the neck.

If you do go for the big pearls, I would suggest an earring back with a pad of at least 10mm so you can make sure the earrings don’t drop.

thank you so much for your response! i think if i have both, i’d use the smaller for day to day and the larger for special occasions only with a super glam dress. i feel that it’s not an either or, i realistically wouldn’t let go of my existing ones.

cindygenit

Brilliant_Rock
I like the size and tone against your skin - very pretty and not old-fashioned to me.

My daughter has large studs and I agree a large back is invaluable to comfort and the look of the studs.

thank you! yes i definitely will need very large supporting backings if i get them. i’ve told my jeweller i will get back to them on friday so i have a bit of time left

cindygenit

Brilliant_Rock
Just my personal opinion; the pearl size you’re wearing on the first pictures looks nice on you and a good size for daily wear, casual or dress-up. If you upgrade to 14mm size earrings, would you wear them as much as your current pair?

i don’t think it will affect how much i will wear the existing ones as they are such different looks! the giant ones are more for occasional formal wear

cindygenit

Brilliant_Rock
Get both, of course! ;-)
Hahah thank you for the push! really thinking about it but also, if i have a couple or more thousand dollars spare for oysters boogers

Yes, but how they hang is also relevant, and I felt the OP should know that light plastic studs will not droop as much as real pearls would. Drooping affects how they look.

Glass imitation pearl studs may give her a better idea of how they will look on the ear, as worn.
all good points, thank you!!

personal opinion - the colour suits your hair colour and skin tone, gorge! i have some big pearl studs and they sometimes droop if the back is loose so make sure you have supportive backs!
thank you! i also love the tone of this set of pearls, one is pickier than the other but super lustrous!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results