shape
carat
color
clarity

Advice Needed: Round vs. Princess

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

tlw99

Rough_Rock
My boyfriend and I have been looking at engagement rings and loose diamonds for the past two weeks. I finally decided that I preferred a setting similar to the Tiffany Lucida setting with a trellis mounting in platinum, but I cannot decide between a princess and round cut.

I have heard that princess cuts tend to look smaller than round brilliants, even if the stones are the same weight. If anyone can send me their opinion on this issue I would greatly appreciate it! Also, in choosing between a round and princess, which of the other factors (color, clarity, polish, cut) would you prioritize differently for each one? E.g. is cut more important for a round vs. princess?

(In general my boyfriend has been looking at loose stones in the 2.0 carat range, VS1 and up, G color and up).

Thanks!

oldminer

Ideal_Rock
Trade
You ought to shop until YOU decide which shape really makes you happiest. A 2ct diamond of either shape is "big enough", especially when it is cut properly. It is a matter of personal preference and budget. Princess costs less per carat, but they don't look as large most of the time as an equal weight round diamond. They tend to be deeper, but you don't see the depth when wearing the stone.

For most people color and cut are somewhat equal in importance, then not seeing inclusions with the naked eye comes in 3rd,,,VS2, SI1 range for most people in 2 carat size. Color range F-I and cut from AGA 1 to AGA 2 range make sense depending on your taste and budget. Polish and Symmetry from excellent to good look just about the same although in rounds I'd stick to Excellent to Very good symmetry and polish. Princess cuts are much more of a compromise in nearly all respects.

Really VS1 and up, G and up are going to be great stones, but on the almost "too good" side. I'd tell you to buy a little larger and go to G/H VS2 and you will be really happy.

eyesoftexas

Shiny_Rock
The round will always give you more brilliance than a fancy shape given that they are both cut well. The Lucidas are very expensive and for a 2 carat ring expect to pay $25to$35K (and this is very recent pricing). If you search for Lucida you will find my write up o when I went and bought a Lucida. If name does not matter then you can save a ton of money by going with a Lucere diamond (GoodoldGold sells it) and a Vatche setting which is exactly like the Tiffany ring. Heck, you will save enough money to take a nice vacation along with it. My wife loves the squarish shape and so this was the major decision factor.

As for th shape appearing smaller on the Lucida than the round I also thought that it appeared smaller until I did the math:
1.42ct Lucida measures 6.4mm x 6.37mm = 40.768mm2 surface area.
1.42ct round brilliant H&A that I was looking at had a diameter of 7.21mm
= 3.14(7.21/2)squared= 40.80 mm2 surface area.

So you can see that we are talking tenths of a mm. Now you will find rounds with larger tables, especially if it is cut for size but I was looking at a H&A diamond. In reality I do not think this is a big issue. Plus you are looking at 2 carats so that I one huge rock!!! You can save a lot of money by going in the VS2 range and lower in the color versus a VVS1/F in color that Tiffanys will steer you towards.

tlw99

Rough_Rock
Thanks for the input!

Nicrez

Ideal_Rock
Hey TLW99, welcome to Price Scope!!!

If you like the shape of either one, that's your indicator. If you are still undecided, choose if you want brilliance and fire, or shape and look? Rounds always seem to outperform (even Lucidas!) when they are well cut. An ACA diamond in anysize is sure to impress!!!

I went for a shaped stone, because I don't like the big chunky facets and sparkles of a round stone. The shape to me isn't very pleasing for an e-ring. I didn't like the princess because the facets and sparkles are too triangular, and the corners are too sharp, making the stone seem too sever on my fingers. I went for a radiant for the smaller sparkles that are softer and icier than either two choices...There are so many more shapes...

Tiffany's is not an option I make to most people looking for size, as a 2ct stone is larger than the average e-ring (significantly), you may want to stick within a budget to get a larger stone. Tiffany's is for those who want the name and will sacrifice size, color or clarity for the brand of it. Look at the Regent stones in Show me the Ring posts, look at the radiants, look at the rounds, the princesses, and Asschers, etc. Go to a store and literally try on all shapes within the same sames. It will give you an idea of which shape is best for your hand. If you want sparkle and brilliance, hands down, go for a round. Well cut rounds are pricier than shaped stones by a bit, so keep that in mind as well! Good luck and post some you like, maybe we can help!
9.gif

moremoremore

Ideal_Rock
Princess lover here! Luv em luv em luv em. You either love them or you don't. Also intersting: I was debating a while back between the two cuts on another forum where I learned (from some of those math nuts)....that while a 2 carat round will have larger mm measurements than the 2 carat princess, #1) the round is more expensive....and #2) b/c of the square corners of the princess, it has more surface area per the same mm round .... picture a circle inside a square.....the round fits into the square e/t they have the same mm diameter...and so the square looks bigger if he two are the same mm measurements. That said, lets say a round is 8 mm (1.75 carats?)....to get a princess of that mm size, it would have to be at least 2.5-3 carats (? I think) and cost a lot more than the round...BUT.... due to the circle in the square theory (lol).... I was told that mathematically, a princess will look the same size as a round that is .60 (or so if I recall) mm more. Does this make any sense? ...
1.gif
I think I got it right!

moremoremore

Ideal_Rock
oops...didn't see you post texas!
1.gif

asscherice

Rough_Rock
I am such a fan of the round. The way a perfectly cut round sparkles and has such amazing symmetry is unmatched in my opinion. The cut in a round diamond is the most important factor for me. The round cut in the tiffany setting is my favorite.
For a square, however, I think the Lucida setting is unmatched so you're on the right track. Good luck!

If you're getting a 2 carat diamond I wouldn't go below a VS2... or an H color. If that's out of your price range then take a shave off of the size. It's hard for me to see a big stone that is severely compromised.

Good Luck

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results