shape
carat
color
clarity

Advice needed re. plating a gold bracelet.

mrsthomas

Shiny_Rock
Hi all, I’m in need of some advice. I had a lovely diamond bracelet gifted to me by my mother a few years ago. The only problem I have with it is that its yellow gold and I very rarely wear yellow gold. I’m thinking of having it rhodium plated but am worried that it’s look and design doesn’t lend itself to white gold. Basically I’m afraid it will end up looking like a plain bangle and lose its charm. I’ve attached a picture below for reference and any and all advice would be greatly appreciated.

60573857-16D6-4C9B-A0D9-65F70EBB9CC6.jpeg

Snowdrop13

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Personally, I think it’s really pretty, love the contrast between the gold and the diamonds. I’m sure you could have it plated but I’m guessing you’d have to get it redone regularly as it will wear off. Could you stack it with other bracelets instead?

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think its very pretty too! I think it would still be pretty if you had it plated though. Do you wear the yellow gold? If so, I would leave it. If not, then I
would probably have it coated. Different colors of gold go in and out of style. Change to or keep it in the color you would get the most wear. I love
mixed colored metals and texture. It certainly has a cool texture!

MarionC

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi all, I’m in need of some advice. I had a lovely diamond bracelet gifted to me by my mother a few years ago. The only problem I have with it is that its yellow gold and I very rarely wear yellow gold. I’m thinking of having it rhodium plated but am worried that it’s look and design doesn’t lend itself to white gold. Basically I’m afraid it will end up looking like a plain bangle and lose its charm. I’ve attached a picture below for reference and any and all advice would be greatly appreciated.

D2654848-CD02-4DD3-9A4C-90B7B677154D.jpeg

headlight

Ideal_Rock
I like the contrast between the yellow gold and the diamonds, but I, too, am more of a white metal person so I totally think you should have it as you would like it. With that said, yellow gold has definitely made a comeback so it wouldn't look outdated if you wore it as is. It actually looks very modern because of the design even in the yellow gold. I only wear white metals, but I actually have 2 pendants and a pair of earrings I purchased recently in yellow gold and, while I don't wear them everyday, it is fun to have a change. Looking at the photo again, I am kind of thinking you should keep it as is. The yellow is really in now and the design of the bracelet makes it really on trend, IMO. So even if it isn't something you would purchase for yourself, I think it's really cool and I bet you will get compliments on it. And it is from your mom, which brings in a whole other meaning to it way above getting a gold and diamond bracelet!

MRBXXXFVVS1

Brilliant_Rock
Beautiful bracelet, I love the contrast of the yellow gold and diamonds too. I would also recommend keeping it as is, and stacking it with other bracelets to get a mixed metal look!

MarionC

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I like the gold too. The combination of the buttery color and the sparkle of the diamonds is very appealing.

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
I love it too but i love yellow gold
but if your not wearing it because you dont like yellow gold its a shame it gets left unworn at the bottom of your jewlery box so go ahead and rhodium plate it
I assume its not a problem to reverse if you change your mind?

MarionC

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I love it too but i love yellow gold
but if your not wearing it because you dont like yellow gold its a shame it gets left unworn at the bottom of your jewlery box so go ahead and rhodium plate it
I assume its not a problem to reverse if you change your mind?

From the internet:
Rhodium is not generally reversed by electrical means unless it is thin and has a nickel plating underneath it. The nickel layer can be attacked and the rhodium and nickel will separate from the main substrate. You can carefully remove the rhodium mechanically using sandpaper sticks of variable grit sizes. Rhodium plating in pore free thicknesses of 4-6 microns combined with a proper pre-plate will last easily 6-10 years.

I don’t know how difficult it is to remove it from yellow gold.

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
From the internet:
Rhodium is not generally reversed by electrical means unless it is thin and has a nickel plating underneath it. The nickel layer can be attacked and the rhodium and nickel will separate from the main substrate. You can carefully remove the rhodium mechanically using sandpaper sticks of variable grit sizes. Rhodium plating in pore free thicknesses of 4-6 microns combined with a proper pre-plate will last easily 6-10 years.

I don’t know how difficult it is to remove it from yellow gold.

Well that's definatly worth noting @mrsthomas. Thanks @Jimmianne

MarionC

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Well that's definatly worth noting @mrsthomas. Thanks @Jimmianne

Yeh, I’m not sure. I have had several white gold rings unplated during their
« Remodeling » but don’t know how they did it. I can ask. I unplated the ring my avatar (when it was a smooth surface, not engraved) myself, using mechanical methods. Definitely not double with that beautiful complex bracelet.

mrsthomas

Shiny_Rock
You are all amazing! Thankyou for the advice - Ive decided to leave it as it is and just try and wear it every so often :)

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock

Just so we can have another look at it !

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results