shape
carat
color
clarity

Advice needed on this particular Diamond...

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

khnglh

Rough_Rock
Hello.

Am comtemplating buying this HRD diamond. The details are as follows..The diamond sure looks good in person but i am no expert.. Please advice

Weight: 1 Carat
Clarity: VS1
Fluorescence: NIL
Colour: E
Measurement: 6.39mm - 6.54mm X 3.91mm
Proportion: Very Good
Girdle: Medium 4.5%
Cutlet: Pointed
Table Width: 63%
Cr height: 11.5%
Pav Dept: 45%
Finish Grade: Good

Please advice..How much would be a fair price for it ?

khnglh

Garry H (Cut Nut)

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
Ho Hum

Keep looking - with an Ideal-Scope if it is all in the real world.

This stone is way out of round, has a thick girdle, a big table and deep pavilion (which is helped slightly by a shallow crown angle).

it may look good if it is loose because light will be leaking in the back - but set it will die
sad.gif

khnglh

Rough_Rock
14.gif

Thanks for your advice.. Have already bought a idle scope last week. Will be using it in my hunt for my ideal rock...

How about these stones?

Colour: G
Measurement: 6.37mm - 6.43mm X 4.01mm
Girdle: Medium 4%
Table Width: 57%
Cr height: 15.5%
Pav Dept: 43%
Finish Grade: Very Good

Weight: 1.21 Carat
Measurement: 6.68mm - 6.72mm X 4.31mm
Proportion: Good
Girdle: Medium 4.5%
Pav Dept: 44%

Thanks again...
2.gif

khnglh

Rough_Rock
Hello..Just did but they say they do not have the Sarin capability to do so...Does using the idealscope helps ? Just bought one and will be visiting the jewellery tomorrow...
1.gif

trichrome

Shiny_Rock
khn,

just wondering where you are from ? canada, europe ... ??

Trichrome

khnglh

Rough_Rock
Hello....I am from Singapore.
1.gif

khnglh

Rough_Rock
Hello. Just visited another jeweller. He offered me this stone...again i need your help on it.

Weight: 1.02 Carat
Clarity: VVS2
Measurement: 6.57mm - 6.63mm X 3.82mm
Girdle: Medium 3.5%
Table Width: 65%
Cr height: 12%
Pav Dept: 42.5%

Thanks again....

never knew buying diamond could be so nerve racking and challenging.
sad.gif

Garry H (Cut Nut)

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
It will be far easier to just use your ideal-scope.
Then you need not worry about the sarin report.

But you can enter the % #'S into cut adviser and get a rough idea. Angles are better.

khnglh

Rough_Rock
Cutnut,

A question about the idealscope. Can i safely say that by using the scope and if the stone looks good through it i can assume that the measurements are good and the only thing i must look in to then is the Weight, Cut, Clarity and price...

khnglh

khnglh

Rough_Rock
Measurement: 6.37mm - 6.43mm X 4.01mm
Girdle: Medium 4%
Pav Dept: 43%

Cut Analysis
Light Return: Very Good
Fire: Very Good
Scintillation: Very Good
Spreador diameter for weight: Very Good

What do you think. WIll be visiting the jewellery on Monday to check it out with the idealscope. Wish me luck...

Diamonds hunting sure is hard work..
1.gif

khnglh

khnglh

Rough_Rock
Weight: 1.02 Carat
Measurement: 6.57mm - 6.63mm X 3.82mm
Girdle: Medium 3.5%
Table Width: 65%
Cr height: 12%
Pav Dept: 42.5%

Cut Analysis Result
Fire: Very Good
Scintillation: Very Good
Spread or diameter for weight: Excellent
This diamond is almost a fish-eye.

khnglh

Rough_Rock
Cutnut,

Thanks for your help so far. I will carry on looking.. This has been the best forum i have visited so far.

Cheers
Khnglh

khnglh

Rough_Rock
Hello..

Just got back from another jeweller. He offered me the following stone with Sarin report.

Shape: Round Brillant
Weight: 1.08ct
Diameter(mm): 6.54(6.53-6.56)
Crown Angle: 35.1
Crown Height: 15.3%
Pavil Angle: 40.8
Pavil Depth: 43.2%
Cutlet: 0.2%
Table Size: 55.3%
Total Depth: 62.4%
4.08mm
Girdle Thickness: 1.9 - 2.4 (SI Thick)
Propotion IDEAL
Comments: Hears and Arrows

Cut Analysis

Factor Grade
Light Return Excellent
Fire Excellent
Scintillation Very Good
Spread
or diameter for weight Very Good
Total Visual Performance 1.8 - Excellent - within TIC range

Asking Price USD$9028
eek.gif

Is it overpriced ??? It comes with a GIA Cert along with the Sarin Report

Khnglh

james100

Rough_Rock
Hi Justin,
I am from singapore too.
I think the price is a bit on the high side. Check out some of the stones from the vendors here for comparison.
I am bought a stone online after having a fruitless search around town. If you are keen on H&A diamonds check out whiteflash, GOG,
superbcert. I have bought from the last two and you can see my post on this site. If you want to see the one that I bought for slightly over US$10K for a 1.39FVS2, go into the education diamond of GOG.

Happy hunting!
wavey.gif

khnglh

Rough_Rock
Hello.

The previous diamond with Sarin is very very nice but it is off my budget.. so the search continues..
snore.gif

I managed to find another with GIA cert. No Sarin report whatsoever... thus i cannot provide any crown height/angle and Pavil height/angle..sorry but what do you think....
appl.gif

Shape: Round Brilliant
Measurement: 6.43-6.51 X 3.95mm
Weight: 1.03ct

Proportions
Depth: 61.1%
Table: 59%
Girdle: Medium to Slightly Thick
Cutlet: None

Finish
Polish: Excellent
Symmetry: Excellent

Colour: F
Fluorescence: None

NewYorker

Shiny_Rock
khn, you may save yourself a lot of headaches and searching if you buy online from GOG or Whiteflash. I think it would be a LOT less expensive too. Why not try that?

kinky74

Rough_Rock
Hey same shoes as me
2.gif

Maybe we had met in those jewellery shops while we are looking for the diamonds.

Anyway since you like that particular stone, why not ask the retailer for a better discount. no harm trying.

just my thought.

happy hunting too
2.gif

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
Wow you poor thing...so many stones in so few days...what pressure! Personally I would pass on all of them (except the overpriced H&A that you found...).

Try to keep the dimensions somewhat like this for an easier hunt. Depth under 63% (but more likely under 62%) and table under 61% (but more likely under 59%). If you find a 65% table and a 64% depth..RUN fast and hard. You may find something like a 61% table and a 60% depth...those can sometimes be nice depending on other numbers (crown and pav angles). Or even something like a 61/62% table and a 58% depth will have a nice spread and if you find one with good crown and pav angles, it may be a brilliant winner. This is why it's so important to get a Sarin report and use your IdealScope. Just the basic GIA numbers do not tell you much about a stone.

But if you are going for a middle of the road very good cut, keep your numbers under the ones I noted above. This hopefully will help you weed out the duds before bringing them here to us. Also, use your IdealScope!!! Go into the score and view the stone before even seriously considering it. You bought the tool, please use it.

I would also suggest looking online--if you do not feel comfortable purchasing online you will at least be able to see the dimensions of stones that DO score well on the HCA and that ARE H&A and you will see more what you should be looking for. If that $9k stone is an indication of the markup you will be paying in Singapore for a well cut stone, I would highly recommend purchasing online from a company that does business with oversesas customers. There are a few that are very highly recommended on the forum. I would check out WhiteFlash, GOG, NiceIce etc. and see if they can help you. You will save $$ on an ideal cut stone (a superideal G VS 1c will run you around $7k online..not $9k!) and you know what you are getting, with Sarin, sometimes IdealScope images for you, Bscope, etc etc.

Good luck...and keep researching.

kinky74

Rough_Rock
Wow 9K for a G VS1??????
thats over price. if its a F and above maybe it sounds ok thats if the B&M will give you a better discount then that. Anyway i am going to go over to the retail shop for a hard bargain. wish me luck.

james100

Rough_Rock
Hope you come across an intersting stone, best of luck!
rolleyes.gif

khnglh

Rough_Rock
14.gif

Few more stores and more duds...

The only one i singled out for my last 3 days effort is as below:

HRD Cert
Weight:1.01
Colour:G
Clarity:VVS2
Measurement:6.41-6.47x3.87
PROPORTION:Very Good
FINISH:Good
GIRDLE:4.5 med faceted
CULET:razz:ointed
TABLE:61%
CROWN:13%
PAVILION:42.5%
FLORESCENCE:Nil
COMMENTS:None

Selected: 60% depth, 61% table, 13% crown, 42.5% pavilion, 0% culet
The result is for a symmetrical diamond with a medium girdle and very good polish
Note: HCA scores were adjusted Dec. 15, 2001 and Feb. 6, 2003.

Factor Grade
Fire: Excellent
Scintillation: Excellent
Spread or diameter for weight: Excellent

Total Visual Performance 1.9 - Excellent - within TIC range

Care to give me your comments ??? No Sarin report as usual... No angles available...

Looks good under the idealScope

appl.gif

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
It may look a little smaller than a 1c stone...but otherwise? Also one more thing to note is that using %'s on the HCA is NOT as accurate as using angles because the % are rounded. More often than not I have found that by using %'s on the HCA..you get a better score than using angles. So for example if this stone scores a 1.9 using the %'s then it may score a 2.5 or 2.8 with angles. Just something to keep in mind because you are not getting Sarin's on these stones.

I don't recall if others asked but why don't you just work with vendors who have Sarin information? There are too many stones out there (as you have now well seen) to work with those who don't give you this type of information. Then you can use the IS and the Sarin and HCA--three tools better than one.

My two cents...don't rush into a purchase...seems as though you still are looking for the right thing.

Best of luck...

Giangi

Ideal_Rock
Could be an okay stone. The girdle is thicker than what I prefer when it comes to HRD certs, but it could be a good looking stone, especially if it looks nice under the IS.
1.gif
1.gif

Garry H (Cut Nut)

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
This stone checks out and if you have seen it with an Ideal-scope you can rule out any bad table leakage
1.gif

If you are happy with the price and the service then go for it
1.gif

Even allowing for rounding up or down - it can not be bad because it is slightly shallow and near a sweet spot

HRD.jpg

khnglh

Rough_Rock
James,

How do you get Diamonds from the US? What are the procedures ? Fedex ? GST/customs taxs ? Who did you get to check the stone out upon arrival ?

khnglh

james100

Rough_Rock
Well Justin,
When you have decided on the criteria and the budget check out pricescope. For clarity, you might like to consider a VS2 or even SI1 as long as it is eye clean to stretch your dollar.
Anyway some vendors will ship to you directly via fedex and you can track the parcel and no gst.
You can have the stone check with an independent appraiser prior to shipment. There is also a local appraiser here in singapore if you want to do so.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results