shape
carat
color
clarity

Advice needed on stones from GOG

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

geek_for_diamond

Rough_Rock

Hello everyone, this is my first post here, have studied on ps for 3 weeks. I appreciate your comments on this diamond:

1.126ct I VS2 Round H&A AGS000 $6026
Table 54.41% Depth 62.37%
Crown Angle: 34.63
Pavilion Angle: 40.82
Girdle: 2.16% Culet: None
The HCA score is 1.5.
The stone is from GOG ( http://www.goodoldgold.com/diamond/2693/ )
Last week I visited the store, 2 hours drive, not bad. Tim showed me the stone along with others, to be honest I can't tell the color difference from G to I against white background, but I'm a newbie for diamond. The inclusion although one in the center, is white and eye clean. I bought it on spot and now waiting for the Solasfera Solitaire setting I chose ( http://goodoldgold.com/setting/SF-LMJ00548/ ).

I'm still a little worry about the I color, especially when I see the thread that Harriet's I color stone was appraised to be K. At first I thought because of GOG's high reputation, an independent appraisal is probably not necessary, but now I'm not sure.

Since I can still change my mind easily right now, I wonder if I can do better within the price range of $6000-$7000. Here are other stones from GOG.

http://www.goodoldgold.com/diamond/2543/
1.037ct H VS2 Round H&A AGS000 $6774
Table 56.48% Depth 62.15%
Crown : 35.23
Pavilion : 40.82
Girdle: 2.12%
HCA score 2
http://www.goodoldgold.com/diamond/2549/
1.23ct I SI Round H&A Tolkowsky ideal cut, $6711
Table 56.79% Depth 61.38%
Crown : 34.5
Pavilion : 40.99
Girdle: 1.56%
HCA score 1.9
http://www.goodoldgold.com/diamond/2158/
1.09ct F SI1 Round H&A GIA cert, $7095
Table 55.34% Depth 61.52%
Crown : 34.6
Pavilion : 40.85
Girdle: 1.51%
HCA score 1.6

The stone I choose right now has the lowest price, is it worth spending extra $700-$1000 to get other alternatives? Thanks for your inputs.

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
Hi,
GOG has a very good reputation. A really well cut stone does not show a lot of color if it is and I. Right now a lot of pricescopers have a lot of I's and J's. Since you said you did not notice the color when you compared it to another lighter colored stone then I would not worry about it.

Maybe Johnathan will let you take the stones outside to see if you can notice the color. If you can't don't worry.
36.gif

Also, I went to your link to look at the stone and it is a BEAUTY!!! I can't wait to see it when it is set so you better show her off!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
I''m not going to look in depth at the other stones, as I looked at the one you''ve bought, and it''s nice. You''ve seen it, and obviously like it.

Nuff said.
28.gif

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The nice thing about GOG is that they have a colorimeter machine, so if you ask, they can check with the machine and tell you where the color falls...a high, solid, or low I, or other. I imagine they would have already sent it back if they suspected it was lower than the color grade on the cert. But you can ask them to check it if you wish. It's just another way of confirming color in an unbiased way. I bought a stone from them earlier this year, and most of the stones I checked were solid H or high H. But I was very fortunate because the stone I ultimately chose actually scored a full color grade higher than the cert! That is rare, but it is nice to know whether a stone is a solid I or not. I might lean against an I if it was a very low I, personally.

All the stones you listed were nice. I like the one you chose just fine, though. The 1.23 is nice because of the size, the F stone looks great and would be a nice color boost. The H VS2 would be my preferred color and clarity combo of all the ones listed, but because it is the smallest, I probably wouldn't choose it! I'd probably get them to check the color on both I color stones, and then ask them to look at the 2 I stones and the F stone together and tell you which one(s) they like.

geek_for_diamond

Rough_Rock
Thanks for your comments! I just shoot a email to GOG asking to doublecheck the color by colorimeter machine.

avlis

Shiny_Rock
i have recently purchased a stone from GoG, and i did have dave atlas look at it. everything came back spot on. as mentioned before, GoG can throw that stone on the colorimeter and send you the results.

kcoursolle

Super_Ideal_Rock
I really wouldn't worry about the I color, what happened to harriet when her I appraised to a K is very uncommon for GIA/AGS certified stones. Ditto on what was said above about the colorometer. Colormeters have a reputation as being very accurate. GOG is very trusted here and people have had wonderful experiences with them. If you are at all unsatisfied they seem to go out of their way to make things better for people and take returns, exchanges, etc.

geek_for_diamond

Rough_Rock
The colorimeter shows solid I, looks like there is nothing I need to worry about. Tim ran the rest and replied me 10 minutes after I sent him email, but I just checked my email and post here as I went out hiking this afternoon, the weather is so nice in NY
35.gif

Thanks for all of you, and thumbs up to GOG!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results