shape
carat
color
clarity

Advice needed on sourcing (custom?) french cut band

Bezeled

Rough_Rock
Hello, everyone! Longtime lurker, first-time poster here :wavey: I am always amazed at how lovely and helpful this community is, so I figured I would stop floundering in my search on my own and seek the wisdom of the experts! I love the look of french cut diamond bands, and lately I’ve been obsessively searching the interwebs for them. What I’ve found is that they are exceedingly hard to find (especially in my size, given that most are full eternities) and generally cost-prohibitive. Does anyone here have experience with sourcing a new, custom french cut band? Is what I want even feasible? My wants are:

• Square cut, not elongated
  • Not a full eternity (preferably half), channel set
  • 3mm wide or less (my rings are modestly sized with ~2mm bands, and <1 carat center stone – see my avatar)
  • Under $3k (which is probably totally unreasonable)
Alternately, there is an antique half eternity band for sale locally within my budget, but it would need to be sized down a full size and that worries me a bit since it is channel set. I have also found a seller on etsy who makes pretty much the exact ring I want, except it is [unmentionable] and not exactly inexpensive. But I would probably consider it if the cost of real diamonds is out of budget. From what I understand, both diamond and [unmentionable] require custom cutting, which is what makes the cost so much higher.

Thanks for reading! I appreciate any advice you can offer.

meesmom

Brilliant_Rock
I love my CVB french cut band. I cant remember the exact cost, but i believe it was in the 3k range...but mine is elongated with rounds in between. (See my avitar) i saw a really nice 1/2 eternoty french cut band on ebay, if you are interested in pre-owned. Let me see if i can find it again.

wildcat03

Brilliant_Rock
Sourcing an old band and having it remade is probably your best bet to stay within budget. David Klass can source what you are looking for and if you do a 1/2 eternity of small (2 mm or slightly less) he may be able to meet your budget.

Bezeled

Rough_Rock
Thanks for checking, meesmom! My ring size is 5.25, but I guess I could go a little bigger if it is a wider band. Your ring is beautiful, and I am keeping CVB in mind. There's just something about the faceting of square cuts that I love.

meesmom

Brilliant_Rock
Ok so i just looked on ebay and it looks like it sold already so sorry! But you wanted custom anyway...so i would reccomend reaching out to caysie of CVB and see her pricing. She can be pricy tho. You could maybe look on etsy for other jewelers who work with french cuts too.

Bezeled

Rough_Rock
Thanks for the suggestion, wildcat03. I thought about buying an antique ring and having it remade, but it's hard to find a ring under $3k to start with, and then I'd have to factor in the cost of remaking it. I have seen other PSers DK rings that feature square French cuts, perhaps he would be able to fulfill the request - but maybe not within my budget.

meesmom

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks for checking, meesmom! My ring size is 5.25, but I guess I could go a little bigger if it is a wider band. Your ring is beautiful, and I am keeping CVB in mind. There's just something about the faceting of square cuts that I love.

Trust me i get it! i am so obsessed with french cuts lately!! I also have a sapphire band thats french cut squares and it is very different than elongated, imo. Also, maybe put a WTB (wanting to buy) listing on the preowned thread here? I have done that with great results. And i find that the ladies here tend to take great care of their jewelry, so ive actually made purchases where it looks brand new!!

Bezeled

Rough_Rock
Thanks again for checking, meesmom :) It seems like french cuts are a hot commodity!

wildcat03

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks for the suggestion, wildcat03. I thought about buying an antique ring and having it remade, but it's hard to find a ring under $3k to start with, and then I'd have to factor in the cost of remaking it. I have seen other PSers DK rings that feature square French cuts, perhaps he would be able to fulfill the request - but maybe not within my budget.

He quoted me years ago (2016) for a full eternity 2.2 mm wide of French cuts (I do wear a small ring size - 4.25). Obviously prices have changed. But based on my quote from 2016 he likely could have met your budget at that time.

Bezeled

Rough_Rock
I've thought about making a WTB thread, meesmom - I just wouldn't want to offend anyone with my "champagne tastes on a beer budget" lol

Bezeled

Rough_Rock
Thanks for the info, wildcat03. I will shoot DK a message and see what he comes back with.

Cerulean

Ideal_Rock
I am following as I am curious about DK's pricing! I also love frenchies but boy I have seen some VERY pricey bands (upwards of 10k-12k) for not much ctw....

meesmom

Brilliant_Rock
I've thought about making a WTB thread, meesmom - I just wouldn't want to offend anyone with my "champagne tastes on a beer budget" lol

Oh i dont think you would offend anyone! 3k is a healthy budget for preowned, i think.

I was going to suggest david klass too, but i havent seen much from him with french cuts. But he does do beautiful work, and his pricing is very reasonable!!

Rfisher

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hello, everyone! Longtime lurker, first-time poster here :wavey: I am always amazed at how lovely and helpful this community is, so I figured I would stop floundering in my search on my own and seek the wisdom of the experts! I love the look of french cut diamond bands, and lately I’ve been obsessively searching the interwebs for them. What I’ve found is that they are exceedingly hard to find (especially in my size, given that most are full eternities) and generally cost-prohibitive. Does anyone here have experience with sourcing a new, custom french cut band? Is what I want even feasible? My wants are:

• 3mm wide or less (my rings are modestly sized with ~2mm bands, and <1 carat center stone – see my avatar)
Alternately, there is an antique half eternity band for sale locally within my budget, but it would need to be sized down a full size and that worries me a bit since it is channel set. I have also found a seller on etsy who makes pretty much the exact ring I want, except it is [unmentionable] and not exactly inexpensive. But I would probably consider it if the cost of real diamonds is out of budget. From what I understand, both diamond and [unmentionable] require custom cutting, which is what makes the cost so much higher.

If CVB /DK doesn’t pan out and you are ok with a bit of a wonk

try Rozental
mine was already made, (newly cut stones, plat from reclaimed antiques) and is over the width you want, but was very near your price point @2cttw/7 stone
They indicated (on IG ) they’d make more. Maybe they’d do a smaller size?

Also
I&R still had some loose genuine antique frenchies for 1/2 band that
would fit your bill ( size and price ) when I contacted them a few months back.

NicoleNeedsHelp

Brilliant_Rock
You could try to get an estimate from Victor Canera. He cuts lovely French stones. I‘m not sure if it would fit your budget, but it might. I just did a full eternity band with elongated French stones. Mine is for sale because I want bigger stones. But if you are willing to go half eternity and maybe drop in color a bit, maybe you could get within budget? Anyway, it might be worth an inquiry. Good luck and please share your ring when you get it. French cuts are so pretty!

Bezeled

Rough_Rock
If CVB /DK doesn’t pan out and you are ok with a bit of a wonk

try Rozental
mine was already made, (newly cut stones, plat from reclaimed antiques) and is over the width you want, but was very near your price point @2cttw/7 stone
They indicated (on IG ) they’d make more. Maybe they’d do a smaller size?

Also
I&R still had some loose genuine antique frenchies for 1/2 band that
would fit your bill ( size and price ) when I contacted them a few months back.

Thanks for the leads, Rfisher! I have long admired your gorgeous ring, and I am shocked that the price was so reasonable! I would obviously be thrilled to spend less, but based on the prices I found online I didn't think it would be possible.

Bezeled

Rough_Rock
On a side note, has anyone seen french cuts set in a colored metal in real life? I have seen vendor photos online and they don't seem to pick up color, but I was curious if that is true in all lighting situations. Also, do small french cuts (say, 2x2mm) lose some of the chunky flashes that makes them special? I'm a little afraid of going too small and not being able to appreciate the faceting, if that makes sense.

ean

Brilliant_Rock
On a side note, has anyone seen french cuts set in a colored metal in real life? I have seen vendor photos online and they don't seem to pick up color, but I was curious if that is true in all lighting situations. Also, do small french cuts (say, 2x2mm) lose some of the chunky flashes that makes them special? I'm a little afraid of going too small and not being able to appreciate the faceting, if that makes sense.

I personally think french cuts start to “shine” more when they’re a little wider. The least I would personally go would be 3mm. It loses some of its chunkiness after that, imo.

wildcat03

Brilliant_Rock
I was just browsing Ivy & Rose and this band is pretty much exactly what you are looking for. Comes in under budget as long as your ring size is between 4 and 8.25. And the width isn't listed but at 20 points each I bet those stones are a nice width to really shine as @ean mentions above! (Honestly, I was really tempted to buy this but I don't need another band so please buy it before I cave!)

Bezeled

Rough_Rock
I was just browsing Ivy & Rose and this band is pretty much exactly what you are looking for. Comes in under budget as long as your ring size is between 4 and 8.25. And the width isn't listed but at 20 points each I bet those stones are a nice width to really shine as @ean mentions above! (Honestly, I was really tempted to buy this but I don't need another band so please buy it before I cave!)

That's so funny, I contacted Ivy & Rose about loose stones per @Rfisher , and Ilya sent me photos of this ring. It is absolutely gorgeous, but my style is a little more minimalist and I would be worried that the height off the finger (thickness) would bother me - I'm a weirdo about feeling my rings between my fingers - hence my thin, low profile bands. But the stones look amazing!

Rfisher

Ideal_Rock
Premium
That's so funny, I contacted Ivy & Rose about loose stones per @Rfisher , and Ilya sent me photos of this ring. It is absolutely gorgeous, but my style is a little more minimalist and I would be worried that the height off the finger (thickness) would bother me - I'm a weirdo about feeling my rings between my fingers - hence my thin, low profile bands. But the stones look amazing!

I wonder if that ring was returned or they got more antique stones in to make it.
the only loose stones they had when I called were noticeably smaller.
they will do a custom ring style for you for not that much more, if you are wanting narrower shank - that’s what I needed as well in between the fingers for sure.
Either way / fingers crossed for your search - wherever it takes you :)

ringbling17

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Hi. It might be possible to find but from my experience only a full eternity, pre-loved and probably over your budget.

I received this quote from DK over a year ago. I would reach out to him and just ask. He is very very nice and all my experiences with him have been great.
DKs quote was for a 3/4 eternity so he might be able to do a 1/2 eternity for about $3k? Maybe $3.2k in platinum.

“The band pictured is a size 5.25 (1.9mm wide), stones 3/4 around with .77cts. It cost $3650 in solid platinum, a full eternity cost $3950. The French cuts are G color, VS clarity, the band with take at least 45 days to make. Let me know if I should cast one?”

I also received a quote from Sako on IG and his quote was close to $5k. I think $3650 just to source the diamonds. This was for a full eternity.

meesmom

Brilliant_Rock
@Bezeled, i am always lurking ebay and the like around looking at french cuts (just looking tho, not in the market) id love to help you try to find a band to have remade, if you decide to try that route. The band i was going to show you earlier on ebay was a 1/2 eternity, square cuts and went for around $1500. So it is possible to find one, if you are willing to put in the work. :)

meesmom

Brilliant_Rock
I dont think anyone posted this one....its pretty much your size!!! If you like it, i would consider this. You could have it made into a 1/2 eternity, and sell the remaining stones.

Cerulean

Ideal_Rock
What size are you? I may have found a possible option but don't want a lurker to nab it...

ringbling17

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I dont think anyone posted this one....its pretty much your size!!! If you like it, i would consider this. You could have it made into a 1/2 eternity, and sell the remaining stones.

I was going to post the same ring. I’ve purchased from that seller before. She is very nice. I purchased a thinner french cut band from her but it was too thin for me. You really couldn’t even tell they were french cut diamonds.
I returned it to her without any problems.
She also offers layaway.

Cerulean

Ideal_Rock

meesmom

Brilliant_Rock
What size are you? I may have found a possible option but don't want a lurker to nab it...

Oops..
I didnt think about lurkers!!!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results