shape
carat
color
clarity

Advice Needed on Princess Cut

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

gemox2000

Rough_Rock
Hey, I am preparing to buy an e-ring and I decided on getting a princess cut. My budget is $5000 for the stone I want to the biggest best looking ring I can get but I am not too concerned with quality or aspects of the stone that can''t been noticed with the naked eye. I know that I should pay attention to cut and color more so than clarity. I am only looking at stones of excellent or vg cut.

I was previously looking a round stones and but I know my lady would be much happier with a princess cut. I have done some research and learned that (for round stones) I should stay with a table % 54-59, a depth % 59-62, a crown angel of 34-35 and a pavilion angel of 40.5-41.1. How do I know of a princess cut is ideal? You can just search for ideal/excellent for round diamonds but this isn''t the case for princess cuts, right? I plan to buy on the internet so what questions should I ask over the phone/email before buying? Can I go as low as SI2 or should I stay with SI1 or higher? I really would appreciate any advice. Thank you all so much

Capitol Bill

Shiny_Rock
Date: 5/18/2006 7:34:44 AM
Author:gemox2000
Hey, I am preparing to buy an e-ring and I decided on getting a princess cut. My budget is $5000 for the stone I want to the biggest best looking ring I can get but I am not too concerned with quality or aspects of the stone that can''t been noticed with the naked eye. I know that I should pay attention to cut and color more so than clarity. I am only looking at stones of excellent or vg cut.

I was previously looking a round stones and but I know my lady would be much happier with a princess cut. I have done some research and learned that (for round stones) I should stay with a table % 54-59, a depth % 59-62, a crown angel of 34-35 and a pavilion angel of 40.5-41.1. How do I know of a princess cut is ideal? The only truly "Ideal" princess cuts are accompanied by AGS lab grading reports that assign a grade of "AGS-0" or "Ideal." Currently, the AGSL is the only diamond grading lab that analyzes and grades princess cut diamonds for cut quality and light performance.

You can just search for ideal/excellent for round diamonds but this isn''t the case for princess cuts, right? AGS-graded princess cuts are out there, but there are fewer of them because: 1) They are still relatively new on the market (less than a year); 2) With AGS''s precise cutting requirements, not many cutters are bothering to take the extra effort to cut princess cuts with the precision required by AGS grading standards; and 3) Consumer demand is increasing faster than current production.

I plan to buy on the internet so what questions should I ask over the phone/email before buying? Make sure you are comfortable with the vendor''s return policy or ask if you can see a particular diamond for a pre-purchase inspection in the office of an independent gemologist appraiser in your area. Also ask if they have a trade-up policy.

Can I go as low as SI2 or should I stay with SI1 or higher? Yes and no. It depends on the stone, the location & type of inclusion(s), and it depends on your eyes. Talk to your vendor and ask questions.

I really would appreciate any advice. Thank you all so much

I hope I''ve answered your questions adequately. Best of luck in your search!

Bill Scherlag

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results