shape
carat
color
clarity

Advice needed on Idealscope

LightBright

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Can I please get your opinion on this Idealscope? My questions about it are: why are the arrows under the table so much blacker than the points of the arrows around the perimeter? Why is the red under the table darker than on the perimeter? On Ideal Idealscope images, the table area seems to be a slightly lighter red than the outer perimeter, and the arrows seem to be more consistent in terms of color.

Does this Idealscope reflect a well cut stone? HCA is 1.1

SHAPE: Round

CUT: Excellent
POLISH: Excellent
SYMMETRY: Excellent
FLUORESCENCE: Strong
L/W/D (MM): 8.63*8.69*5.38
L/W RATIO: 1.01
DEPTH %: 62.20
GIRDLE: Medium - Slightly Thick
TABLE %: 54.00
CULET: None
CERTIFICATE: GIA
CROWN ∠: 34.00
CROWN %: 15.50
PAVILION ∠: 40.80

img_0989_0.jpg

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
The differences in tone isn't a great concern.

The big white spot between the arrows shows it has some really wonky lower halves and likely pavilion mains and that is a concern.
It definitely wont make h&a if that is important to you.
Overall not a top of the line IS image, more like very good to me.

LightBright

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Thank you Karl for shedding light on this image. I wondered about that white splotch and thought it might be caused by the angle from which the image was taken. But you've clarified it's likely a cut flaw.

To anyone I'd love to get an opinion...this is the stone in question. I've got it on hold. I can't see the potential wonk with my inexperienced eyes. Price for an E seems slightly discounted ($9375 per carat) but it's not an overwhelming deal. Is this stone worth me looking at in person?

https://www.jamesallen.com/loose-diamonds/round-cut/2.48-carat-e-color-si1-clarity-excellent-cut-sku-2314693

Garry H (Cut Nut)

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
LightBright|1485579845|4120958 said:
Can I please get your opinion on this Idealscope? My questions about it are: why are the arrows under the table so much blacker than the points of the arrows around the perimeter? Why is the red under the table darker than on the perimeter? On Ideal Idealscope images, the table area seems to be a slightly lighter red than the outer perimeter, and the arrows seem to be more consistent in terms of color.

img_0989_0.jpg

As promised off line. Here is a similar stone. There are two lower girdle facets that are about 0.3 degrees steeper. This stone also has GIA XXX AND AGS PGS 0. Even the H&A's are not that bad. No issues with the pavilion mains, as with the stone you posted.

_38958.jpg

bunnycat

Ideal_Rock
Garry H (Cut Nut)|1485728393|4121595 said:
LightBright|1485579845|4120958 said:

img_0989_0.jpg

As promised off line. Here is a similar stone. There are two lower girdle facets that are about 0.3 degrees steeper. This stone also has GIA XXX AND AGS PGS 0. Even the H&A's are not that bad. No issues with the pavilion mains, as with the stone you posted.

Garry- thanks so much for the extra info. I've been puzzling this since it was posted. I'm gonna ask a maybe silly question as I try to piece this together.

I had a stone that had a small glitch like this and since it wasn't a strict h/a stone, I'm guessing for the reasons y'all are saying. And, for me at least, I saw nothing off in the light performance area. Does or can a glitch like this translate in to a light performance issue, or is the fraction that a couple of mains might be off just not something the eye can parse?

In other words, when I saw this IS, my first reaction is to go back and look at the IRL video to compare the area to see what I think and use the two pieces together to assess what I see.

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
Thanks Garry.
I was thinking the main would have to be out to keep the ex symmetry but it looks like that is not necessarily true.
I'm still learning from Garry after all these years!
Thank you!!

Garry H (Cut Nut)

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
Karl_K|1485731984|4121629 said:
Thanks Garry.
I was thinking the main would have to be out to keep the ex symmetry but it looks like that is not necessarily true.
I'm still learning from Garry after all these years!
Thank you!!
thanks Karl,
And I am still processing your comments on the other thread about light source brightness.
BTW if the mains were an issue we would have lost the dark star.

LightBright

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Thank you Garry and Karl for the informative technical discussion. And thank you Bunnycat for the comments. I've purchased the diamond and am looking forward to seeing it in person.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results