shape
carat
color
clarity

Advice needed on depth of a cushion cut

fawndeer621

Rough_Rock
I'm in the process of purchasing a diamond for my engagement ring. I've come across a diamond that I really like. I feel like this stone has a siren song, just calling me back. PS has been great for an education. And the pics!! WOW. So here's the info. and I'm afraid about the depth and would appreciate some advice. Until I read more about the depth, I didn't think anything of it. Now I feel like I can "see" the effect of it in the (40x magnified) photos (of course, that means squat- I know). Jeweler mentions brilliance and sparkle when describing it so I'm guessing this is one I'll just have to see to know.
1.08ct
Cushion Modified Brilliant
VS2
6.13 x 5.49 x 4.29 mm
TOTAL DEPTH: 78.1%
TABLE SIZE: 59.0%
Thanks in advance for your insight!

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Those numbers can't be right. The depth is 78%? That's deep even for a cushion. We like cushions ideally to be less than 70 for spread reasons, not performance (I just want to make that clear), but are happy to evaluate cushions with depths around 70-73 too.

But 78 that's really deep.

It concerns me.

Do you have pictures or an ASET.

fawndeer621

Rough_Rock
Yes! That's the one.. man you guys are good.
:appl:

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It's pretty but you are paying a lot of money for not a lot of spread.

fawndeer621

Rough_Rock
He's offered a slightly better price, but I want to be sure that if I put $ on the table, I got the most for it. Thank you all for your help. Diamond searching .. not a bad way to pass the time!

fawndeer621

Rough_Rock
So I'm thinking, after looking at some antique cushions and seeing Haven's ring awhile back.. what would happen if I bought a stone that is considered a little shallower than desired (53% depth), with an slightly large culet and set a pink diamond under it or set it in a rose gold basket? Would it help to pick up some pink or pastel? Is there anyway to keep the light from escaping? Assuming the stone itself has an ivory color. Not trying to make the diamond look pink, but I think it would be a wonderful contrast to have some flashes of rosiness with the rose gold.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
fawndeer621|1460406909|4018040 said:
So I'm thinking, after looking at some antique cushions and seeing Haven's ring awhile back.. what would happen if I bought a stone that is considered a little shallower than desired (53% depth), with an slightly large culet and set a pink diamond under it or set it in a rose gold basket? Would it help to pick up some pink or pastel? Is there anyway to keep the light from escaping? Assuming the stone itself has an ivory color. Not trying to make the diamond look pink, but I think it would be a wonderful contrast to have some flashes of rosiness with the rose gold.

I don't really think that's a very good plan.

I would encourage you to get a stone with large facets, an antique style or cut stone if you want lots of flashes of colored light in a rose gold setting.

Is this for you or for someone else?

Personally, I'd reach out to Adam at Old World Diamonds if you want a cushion (Old Mine Brilliant) and asking for him to send you some pictures and a video of some options. I'd shoot for stones in the I-L range. Something like this: http://www.jewelsbygrace.com/loose-diamonds/1-ct-to-2-00/1-27ct-oec-egl-k-vs1#.VwyaA3qilLM or this: http://www.jewelsbygrace.com/loose-diamonds/1-ct-to-2-00/1-27ct-oec-egl-k-vs1#.VwyaA3qilLM

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock

fawndeer621

Rough_Rock
Playing around on PS and I've started to really appreciate some older cuts. I'm waiting for more info on a few from Adam, I'm not sure exactly what to look for in an antique cushion or OEC. Any advice on choosing these? Adam mentioned not being too shallow on a cushion.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Faceting and light return. Just post the options we'll help you.

You can also look at all the antique cushions other have bought. This site has a ton of information. Use the search function. Explore the "Show me the Bling" forum, etc .

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results