shape
carat
color
clarity

Advice Needed on Blue Spinel

davi_el_mejor

Brilliant_Rock
If you can live with the window and the grey/"violet" then go for it. I think it's a decent price. But, I'm not as well versed as others on the board.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
There is a medium sized window which doesn't show up well because the tone is too dark. That aside, it is a dark stone with some gray but for $80, I don't know if it's something you'll forgive. This is a spinel that might need a lot of light to look nice.

JewelFreak

Ideal_Rock
Thanks, Chrono & Davi. The color doesn't bother me, in fact I like it, but the window might. For 80 bucks,I thought it might be worth it, but you've saved me some dough.

--- Laurie

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Laurie, once set that stone may look even darker and quite black. Sounds like you're not going to buy it but I just wanted to mention it in case you did.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Also, if you are a stickler on symmetry, the stone is a slightly off-oval (see the lower portion of the spinel compared to the top).

davi_el_mejor

Brilliant_Rock
Nice catch Chrono, that would have bugged that bejeebuz out of me personally.

Michael_E

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Nearly everyone posting a reply has mentioned a window and yet if this stone does have a window it is no more than 1mm wide or so. The dark area that you're calling a window is caused by the stone being a touch too steep around the culet, (not shallow as would be the case in a windowed stone), and so it's reflecting more of the photographer and his background than anything. Gray ? Hmmm, how much is in the material the stone is sitting on and how much in the stone ? Can't tell from a picture. Slightly lopsided...well set it in a bezel and you'd never be able to tell.

I am actually really a bit shocked at the critical outlook towards a stone which only costs 80 bucks. Where would you get something better for such a low price ? That's about the cost to buy a piece of rough to cut a spinel of that color in the US. Let's see, you get a nice blue spinel that's not badly cut, for the cost of the rough. Seems pretty decent to me. As a matter of fact this is the shape to be looking for when doing a recut, since it can be improved upon easily with minimal loss in weight. I'm not trying to sell anyone on this piece, since I have no horse in this race, but you're not going to find a museum piece for 80 bucks so why such a critical appraisal ?

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ignoring the price, I consider that too dark and grey for my taste. For me, I wouldn't want to spend $10 on a gem I couldn't enjoy. It's not always about price, but loving what you get. That doesn't mean it has to be top gem since many of us have a budget in mind, but it shouldn't be a "black hole" either, and I suspect that stone is. You know, there are some $10 gems I own from Tan that I simply adore, so he's one seller that you should shop around with among his merchandise.

JewelFreak

Ideal_Rock
Everybody's input is much appreciated! Yours too, Michael. I'm not going to buy it but your comment about the window is interesting, that it could be from being too steep around the culet -- something to keep in the back drawer of my mind. I've got a lot to learn.
Thanks for taking the time, all of you.

--- Laurie

colormyworld

Brilliant_Rock
Thank you Micheal. Well said. I agree. As blue spinels go. That looks by the picture to be a nice one.

I was so hoping to see a link offered to an equal or better quality stone for that amount of $$$ .

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
In some respects, I do agree with Micheal. But the other side to it is that most of us do not have an endless income. If we did, well...I know what I'd be doing with it :naughty:

And dark stones around here are rather...well...you know...

Its a very rare (and very expensive) blue spinel that will not have a grayish component.

That said, I think the stone is quite lovely. Is it everyone's cup of tea? no. And its a good thing we all don't like the same stuff!!

So if it grabs you, maybe its worth a look. Tan has a great return policy so you'd be fine there.

-A

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
You know, if I spent a small amount of money on a lot of stones I didn't love, that would be money I could spend on one gem I do love. I always think about it that way. If a poster asks for an opinion on gem, I give my opinion, regardless of the price. Yeah, we are a critical bunch, but in the long run, I think we've helped many people save their money and buy gems they truly love.

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Barry has a dark blue spinel on sale for 90$ or so which includes shipping. His site is acstones.com.
I have a med blue spinel from him which I love which cost more per carat than the one you posted. But personally I don't mind paying a little bit extra for something that is exactly what I want instead of paying less for something almost perfect. Just me.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Michael,
I have a slightly lopsided OEC that is bezeled and sometimes I regret bezeling it because if anything, it accentuates it’s off symmetry more obviously than when it was loose.

Harriet

Super_Ideal_Rock
IF the spinel is as represented, it is a steal at $80.

cushioncutnut

Ideal_Rock
Premium
....and it looks like someone may have stole it for $80. If the OP did not purchase it, I hope that another PSer purchased it. Would love to know if it is as nice as it appears in the listing. If it is set right, the slight off symmetry may hardly be noticed. I really think this stone is worth taking a chance on. LOOK at that BLUE!

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
They probably did Jewelfreak a favor. Honestly, based on the blue spinels I have returned to Tan, and that video/photo, I can tell that gem is probably going to be a black hole. I bought a much bluer looking one from him (based on the video/photo), and I still returned it. Didn't like how extinct and grey it went. Blue spinels, in my experience, are among the most difficult of gems to buy online. They always seem so much greyer and darker in person, and that's not just from Tan, but many sellers I've dealt with.

That being said, I have two beautiful blue spinels from Tan that I adore, but they were much much more saturated in the video/photo than that stone. They were also similarly priced. ;))

If it was a really fine stone at a great price, I would say so. Chictomato just bought two beautiful unheated pear sapphires that have a GIT memo. I told her that was an awesome buy and the color was great. It turned out she loved them and made fabulous earrings with them. Again, the price was similar to this stone for these sapphires. There are great values on Tan's site if you search for them. He's also a very honest seller.

cushioncutnut

Ideal_Rock
Premium
tourmaline_lover said:
They probably did Jewelfreak a favor. Honestly, based on the blue spinels I have returned to Tan, and that video/photo, I can tell that gem is probably going to be a black hole. I bought a much bluer looking one from him (based on the video/photo), and I still returned it. Didn't like how extinct and grey it went. Blue spinels, in my experience, are among the most difficult of gems to buy online. They always seem so much greyer and darker in person, and that's not just from Tan, but many sellers I've dealt with.

That being said, I have two beautiful blue spinels from Tan that I adore, but they were much much more saturated in the video/photo than that stone. They were also similarly priced. ;))

Well I hope this stone is as nice as the 2 spinels you got from Tan. Like you said, you just never know IRL. I just bought a lovely lilac/silver spinel from Srilankamall just recently for $22. The cut looks terrible in the (huge window!) but there was just something about it that said it was worth taking a chance on. When I place the stone on my finger, the window closes up and you can see the faceting pattern turn rather like a step cut faceting at certain angles.........and I just love how the color goes to a light silver/lilac color. It has alot of character to it to say the least. TL.... I know you have posted pictures of the 2 spinels. Is it possible to post them again? :bigsmile:

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
CCN,
Here they are, and I really did "steal" these from Tan. The oval is 2.8 carats and the cushion is 2.25 carats. I'm showing off the color change as is common with these gems. They have inclusions common to spinel. I have not set the cushion yet, but I plan on it one of these days. Tan highly recommended it to me after I returned three gems. He is a wonderful man and is patient with me. Yes, there is grey, but most blue spinels have some. They sparkle like mad and are not extinct. I wear the oval every day, and it is a remarkable gem. I have some beautiful spinels from Srilankamall too. They do have many duds, but I have some really lovely ones too.

TL28spinelrosegold4.JPG

TLvioletspinelglow2.JPG

TLcushionccspinel2.JPG

cushioncutnut

Ideal_Rock
Premium
OF COURSE!! How could I forget the Oval in the rose gold setting after the LM setting!!!!!! ........and that cushion is Gorgeous! Get it set girl!! We wanna see it! Will it be white gold? How will you set it? ........er, um.... sorry to hijack the thread!

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I did buy a a two tone 18K LOGR legacy for it, and it looked great in buttery 18K yellow gold, but I sent the setting back. The diamonds were frozen spit and totally unacceptable to me (that's another whole thread). Thanks CCN. I just posted them to show people that Tan has some remarkable gems for great prices, but like any vendor, no one has 100% perfect inventory, even at lower prices.

JewelFreak

Ideal_Rock
TL, your spinels are beautiful & I LOVE the blue/purple one & setting! Shows it off wonderfully. I didn't buy the blue one, it went to someone else. Don't regret it -- it looked like an okay stone for that price & at 80 bucks, who expects perfection? It is hard to buy them online & I always keep in mind that they could be darker and/or grayer IRL -- so many blue spinels are too dark. But I learned a heck of a lot from the thread. I'll be back w/more & thanks to everyone who replied.

--- Laurie

cushioncutnut

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Laurie, maybe you can consider what I may consider doing and ask Tan to pick you a lovely spinel like TL's. Just use the picture for referrence if TL doesn't mind. :naughty:

TL, yes, I have a hard time buying any settings from anyone of those vendors as my first LOGR setting had the frozen spit diamonds too and some of them fell out. I wish I had the luck of some of these gals (yourself included) ....but I know they can be hit or miss, just like getting the Ebay gemstones................ I will only invest what I can afford to lose.

JewelFreak

Ideal_Rock
cushioncutnut said:
Laurie, maybe you can consider what I may consider doing and ask Tan to pick you a lovely spinel like TL's. Just use the picture for referrence if TL doesn't mind. :naughty:

Great advice. Okay, TL? What's your royalty price for photos?

cushioncutnut said:
I will only invest what I can afford to lose.

Also excellent advice, for anything any time!

--- Laurie

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you for the kind words CCN and Jewelfreak. If you noticed I had to have the prongs rebuilt on the oval ring (see how much thicker they are on the top photo vs the bottom). The prongs were kind of light weight since the setting originally had a different stone in it that was "meh" to me. The spinel got a bit loose and I cringed at the thought of losing my rather inexpensive spinel. Just because I purchased it at a low price does not mean it is replacable at that same price. I was very fortunate to obtain it for what I paid. I hope you can find something that you love as well that is also a good value. It has given me so much entertainment. I have more photos of that ring on my computer than any other. I get excited about the various color changes, the luster, the sparkle, the dispersion, the cutting, everything. I don't leave the house without it. It's one of my favorite gems even though there's a bit of grey. . . shhhhh!!

cushioncutnut

Ideal_Rock
Premium
TL, I would venture to say that no one will see the grey unless you point it out to them and even then, who cares! It really is just a beautiful stone and I love the rose gold. Glad you are getting such enjoyment out of it! I feel the same way about my sapphire ring and so I should cuz I cringe when I think about what was spent on it........ :errrr: Like you, I am sure I could enjoy it for alot less!! :bigsmile:

Harriet

Super_Ideal_Rock
Laurie,
One lesson I've learnt in collecting gems is that, when one "speaks" to you, grab it. A similar one may never come around again. I hope you're a patient one. It took me 2 years to find a blue spinel I love (it's the one in my avatar). I had more or less abandoned the search when it landed on my lap. Gems have a funny way of popping up when you're not looking. Good luck!

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
CCN,
Thanks again.

Since you did mention SriLankamall. The three more lavender stones (2nd, fourth and sixth from the left) in this photo are from SLM. They were about $25 a piece, but the cutting and luster really is nice. I'm thinking of doing some piece of jewelry with all of these spinels in one piece. None of them were particularly expensive (I think the most I paid on any of these stones was $150, and the rest were below $100). They range in size from 1.5 to 2.5 carats. The color is nicer in the orignal photo. PS shrunk it down and washed out the color a bit. :((

TLnativecutspinels4.JPG

cushioncutnut

Ideal_Rock
Premium
TL.... that 2nd one looks to be a portugese cushion cut. I have not seen to many cushion cuts, cut that way. I just love that lilac color. So yummy...all of them! That will be a fun project to take on. The 6th one next to the end reminds me a little of the one I got from SLM.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results