shape
carat
color
clarity

Advice Needed on a Stone

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

kelv0218

Rough_Rock
My boyfriend is about to purchase a ring (he took me shopping with him) and I would like to get additional advice before the purchase is made. We spent a ton of time researching round stones but we recently fell in love with the radiant cut as a compromise between his preference for round brillant and my preference for princess cut. I am concerned b/c we hadn''t look at many radiant cut stones before we found this one. Info on the stone follows:

GIA certified
Radiant Cut
2.85 carats
Measurements 8.41 x 7.80 x 5.29
Depth 67.8%
Table 66%
Girdle Thin to Medium
Cutlet none
Polish Good
Symmetry Good
Clarity VS2
Color I
Flourescence none

We found the stone in the diamond district in NYC (Jewelers on Fifth) and found a setting with the same jeweler. The price $14,200 stone and $15,300 for the ring and setting together (platinum setting w/ diamonds totaling .7 carats G/VS2 color/clarity). I am wondering whether the stone is a quality stone and whether the overall deal is fair?
Also, how do we determine whether the setting is a quality setting- the info was written on a tag attached to the setting- should there be some type of certificate for the setting as well. Would it be a good idea to take the stone and setting to a gemologist before purchasing it? If so any recommendations on NYC gemologists? Does anyone know anything about Jewelers on Fifth (JonRo Jewelers)? Thanks for your help!

Giangi

Ideal_Rock
You provided a little details which are good, but we defunutely need to know more aboout this stone. Sarin/OGI report, IdealScope image and brilliancescope are a nice place to start. Plus, remember your eyes are the best judge. Compare it with as many stones as you can and decide which one looks the best.
1.gif

kelv0218

Rough_Rock
Thanks for your response. I am not familar with the information you would like. Would I be able to obtain this information from the dealer?

Giangi

Ideal_Rock
Probably yes. Especially since they're in NYC's Diamond District.
1.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results