shape
carat
color
clarity

Advice needed on a finished ring - Stone not set right?

sfs88

Rough_Rock
Hello everyone,

I have concerns with the prongs of a new ring and would appreciate any help / advice I can get.

I purchased the semi mount and the diamond from two separate vendors from the States, and got it set by a local setter here in Melbourne, Australia. The ring has a four prong platinum head, and the stone is a cushion cut. After inspecting the ring through the loupe, I am left wondering about the setter's workmanship and the ring's structural integrity. All four prongs look jagged and there is little contact between the stone and the prongs (little pavilion support / arch (hook? hole?) on crown side / non-touching tips). I have not gotten back in touch with the setter yet.

Another local jeweller I spoke to said... while it wasn't the best workmanship, cushion cuts are more difficult to set, and my fiance should just enjoy the ring. They suggested the best thing to do would be to go back to the original setter and just get the lifting tips pressed down onto the stone, because...

• to smooth the jagged edges, the stone will need to be taken out, and that will weaken the prongs.
• to fill the holes, the stone could be ruined from heat if solder is used, and rebuilding the prongs / getting head replaced will be very expensive.

I am confused, and after some second opinions.
My questions are...

A. Am I looking at the ring unnecessarily too closely / Is my expectations unrealistic (stone should sit nicely into the angles cut into the prongs and no space around them that can be observed with the naked eye / tips sit flat against the crown facets / smoother finish)?

B. Are the things I've noticed only of aesthetic concern, or could they lead to problems (prongs breaking in the not too distant future with daily wear etc)?

C. Are these prongs repairable (large amount of metal seems to have been removed from some parts already. will this pose a problem?)? What should be looked at, if at all (pushing down the tip only / edge polishing only / leave it as is etc)?

D. If I should go back to the original setter, what should I ask for and expect? Should I be concerned about any potential damage to the stone or the ring when the repair work is done?

E. Any other opinion / advice please?

Thank you for all your help!

prongs-1.jpg

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The most important question is whether or not the stone is set securely. I can only imagine that the second jeweler thought that it was otherwise he wouldn't have advised just to enjoy the ring.

The setting work is not of the first water. My main concern after the security of the stone would be prongs being able to catch stuff and possibly bend them up thus compromising the security of the setting. Your picture is highly magnified and I'm not sure how noticeable this is in real view - particularly the raggedness of the prongs.

Hopefully an expert will chime in here on the possibility of reshaping and resetting the stone vs. having a whole new head put on the ring. Looking for comments to on setting a cushion shape stone vs. say a round stone. Somehow I think this shouldn't be such an issue!

sfs88

Rough_Rock
Thank you MissGotRocks.

The gaps are easy enough to see against light / computer monitor at 10"/25cm. Some of the jagged edges are noticeable at 6"/15cm, though harder to see than the gaps. Nail catches on two of the tips.
I am worried the tips as well as some of the jagged edges will catch on things and bend back easily, especially on the prongs that got deeper grooves cut in them (I don't know if the width in those areas are too narrow?).

I've never seen other rings up close before, so I don't know if what I'm seeing is quite normal and nothing to worry about, and if not, if there is anything that can be done to fix the problem. I'm also unsure if going back to the original setter would be more trouble than good, and how to approach them if I am to go back.

Attached is the worst looking edge of all four prongs.

Any advice people can give me will be very much appreciated. Thank you!

prongs-2.jpg

Amys Bling

Super_Ideal_Rock
my concern would be over how safe the stone is- if its tight and the stone is secure, i might just ask to have the prongs pinched down more to prevent getting snagged.

Amys Bling

Super_Ideal_Rock
By the way- I am dying to see full pictures of this ring and here all about that stone, The color looks yummy!

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I would want a professional opinion regarding the ring - safety, what could be done to fix the prongs - the whole nine yards. I think prongs are usually much more smooth than that on the inside - I've never looked at mine highly magnified but I honestly don't think they are that jagged.

When you see workmanship that is less than par, you begin to question the entire job. I would want another bench person to give me an opinion - not just necessarily the person that set it originally.

Amys Bling

Super_Ideal_Rock
MissGotRocks|1312764578|2986133 said:
I would want a professional opinion regarding the ring - safety, what could be done to fix the prongs - the whole nine yards. I think prongs are usually much more smooth than that on the inside - I've never looked at mine highly magnified but I honestly don't think they are that jagged.

When you see workmanship that is less than par, you begin to question the entire job. I would want another bench person to give me an opinion - not just necessarily the person that set it originally.

very true!

centralsquare

Ideal_Rock
I'm not an expert but I don't think that is the way it should look; mine does not. First, I'd keep the pictures and document everything. Perhaps ask the jeweler that set it to completely fix it, or get you a new setting.

sfs88

Rough_Rock
Amys Bling - Thanks for the input! I'm afraid the colour isn't quite as warm in real life - maybe a trick of the camera / flash?

MissGotRocks - Thanks again! I am at a loss as to who to seek advice from locally as I thought I was in good hands with the original setter. Hopefully I can come to a resolution soon...

centralsquare - Thanks for letting me know how your prongs look. It would be nice if the setter completely fixes it or pay for the new setting or the cost of replacing the head...

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I would take it back to the jeweler and express your concerns; the most important would be the security of the setting and if there are jagged edges the prongs will catch on a lot of things and then I'd worry about the prongs becoming loose.

The ring and diamond look very pretty.

Good luck!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results