shape
carat
color
clarity

Advice Needed - Narrowed down to 2 diamonds for e-ring

brandonmh

Rough_Rock
Hey guys,

I've narrowed my long and exhausting diamond search for my future wife down to 2 diamonds. I am wondering if there are any specific measurements here that raise a red flag. I need some advice in picking between them, and would love to hear any and all opinions. I appreciate your thoughts

Diamond 1
.9 carats
F color
SI1 clarity - feather
HCA = 1.9
Table - 58%
Depth - 60.6%
Crown Angle - 32.5
Pavilion Angle - 41.2
Measurements - 6.23x6.26x3.79

Diamond 2
.9 carats
F color
VS2 clarity - feather, crystal, cloud
HCA = 1.7
Table - 61%
Depth - 59.2%
Crown Angle - 32.5
Pavilion Angle - 40.6
Measurements - 6.27x6.31x3.73

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'd say of the two I prefer the first as I would rather have one feather than a feather and a cloud

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Can you take a little longer to get a really well cut stone? I wouldn't consider either one with such low crown angles. Table is too big on the second one.

These are measurements to help you stay in ideal cut territory with a GIA excellent cut stone.

table: 54-58

depth: 60-62.3

crown angle: 34-35.0

pavilion angle: 40.6-40.9 (sometimes 41.0 if the crown angle is close to 34)

brandonmh

Rough_Rock
As of right now, these are the best options in my price range (5k or under). What are the negative effects of the measurements you said you weren't happy with? Thanks again for taking the time to give me advice.

flyingpig

Ideal_Rock
Premium
brandonmh|1459564928|4014405 said:
As of right now, these are the best options in my price range (5k or under). What are the negative effects of the measurements you said you weren't happy with? Thanks again for taking the time to give me advice.

[URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/32-5-degree-crown-too-shallow-with-41-2-pa-asets-attached.219899/']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/32-5-degree-crown-too-shallow-with-41-2-pa-asets-attached.219899/[/URL]
Look at the first stone and see the ring of whiteness (light leakage=>less light return=>less bright). You may expect this is how Diamond 1 might perform.

Is Diamond 2 even GIA EX? 32.5/40.6 (shallow/shallow) is arguably worse than Diamond 1.

brandonmh

Rough_Rock
They are both considered ideal cuts according to the GIA certs. I have attached them for reference. I have been looking at diamonds for a week non-stop, and I appreciate all of the knowledge you guys are dropping on me.

I would prefer not to drop below the F/G range if possible. I am also looking for something that is eye-clean. Assuming I compared these side-by-side with a perfect diamond, how noticeable would the light leakage be? Is it something severe enough to warrant increasing my price range?

I am open to any and all options. The diamond retailer where I found these offer a free in-store preview which is the main reason I chose them. I am not sure I could buy a diamond without first seeing it myself.

Attachments

• option_1.pdf
    403.1 KB · Views: 26
  • option_2.pdf
    419.7 KB · Views: 21

brandonmh

Rough_Rock
I took the measurements above into account, and I found 1 diamond that matched the criteria. The trade-off is that this diamond has a symmetry of "very good" and not "excellent". Is the trade-off worth it? Will the symmetry difference be noticeable?

New Diamond
.9 carat
F color
VS2 clarity - feather
cut/polish excellent
symmetry - very good
Table - 55%
Depth - 61.7%
Crown - 34
Pavilion 40.8

The HCA also gave this stone a 1

Thoughts?

victorian10

Rough_Rock
Those angles look good to me. I wouldn't worry about very good symmetry as most of the beautiful stones I looked at at Tiffany's were very good symmetry. I have two one carat diamonds... one from an old engagement that was GIA G color XXX VS1. After going to TIffany's and checking out their H and I (the sales lady said she wouldn't pay the upcharge on anything over an H if it meant sacrificing size. You may be able to drop to an H (which is my current E ring that I absolutely LOVE). I wouldn't worry about what "type" of inclusion it was except for a large cloud or multiple clouds, feather along the girdle, or any black crystals. I have an SI2 this time around and I can honestly tell you that when viewed side by side, you can't tell the G from the H nor can you tell the SI2 from the VS1 and I'm pretty sensitive to these things. That's why it's so important to have get a picture of the actual diamond and not just a blown up pic (which is helpful but doesn't provide a good idea how the diamond faces up) I have twinning wisps across the table, a small feather, two needles, it's a mess on paper but where they are and the color are undetectable without a microscope. Hope this helps.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
brandonmh|1459606427|4014560 said:
I took the measurements above into account, and I found 1 diamond that matched the criteria. The trade-off is that this diamond has a symmetry of "very good" and not "excellent". Is the trade-off worth it? Will the symmetry difference be noticeable?

New Diamond
.9 carat
F color
VS2 clarity - feather
cut/polish excellent
symmetry - very good
Table - 55%
Depth - 61.7%
Crown - 34
Pavilion 40.8

The HCA also gave this stone a 1

Thoughts?

Great option! Much, much better! Excellent and very good are acceptable for polish and symmetry.

brandonmh

Rough_Rock
Attached is the image of this diamond. The ends of the "arrows" appear to be a little washed out. Would this be a result of the "VG" symmetry or something else? The sarin scan is also attached.

_1089.png

f-vs2-sarin.jpg

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results