shape
carat
color
clarity

Advice needed for 1.82ct D SI1 round diamond

Diamond_Enthusiast

Shiny_Rock
This stone is not well cut. Pavilion angle of 41.6% is too steep and depth of 62.8% is too deep and will small for its carat weight. HCA score (rejection tool to help filter out stones that aren't likely to perform) of 5.3 also confirms it is not well cut. You want score < 2.

Here is a page with PS recommended proportions for modern round brilliant:

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ditto @Diamond_Enthusiast ...pass on this stone. Just not cut well. You can look at the picture (well, most PSers can) and tell that
its not well-cut. Stick around PS and learn about well-cut stones before you spend your hard-earned money. The cut (as in crown,
pavilion, table, depth, H&A to name a few) really is the most important C in the 4Cs. If the stone is not cut well light leaks out the
bottom of the stone instead of reflecting light back out the top to your eyes.

You can start here

If you want recommendations we can do that too if you give us your budget and wishes (specs).

Happy hunting!

DejaWiz

Ideal_Rock

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I was just thinking the same thing. A 5 on the HCA is automatic rejection. Try for under 2 and you could reasonably ask opinions for up to 2.5.

I want excellent on light return, fire, and scintillation and very good on spread.

bimo

Rough_Rock
Ditto @Diamond_Enthusiast ...pass on this stone. Just not cut well. You can look at the picture (well, most PSers can) and tell that
its not well-cut. Stick around PS and learn about well-cut stones before you spend your hard-earned money. The cut (as in crown,
pavilion, table, depth, H&A to name a few) really is the most important C in the 4Cs. If the stone is not cut well light leaks out the
bottom of the stone instead of reflecting light back out the top to your eyes.

You can start here

If you want recommendations we can do that too if you give us your budget and wishes (specs).

Happy hunting!

Thanks everyone for their input. I would love to get some recommendations!

Here's what I'm looking for:
-Round diamond
-1.8ct to 2ct
-min. I color
-eye clean
-budget: $20k

Would this be a good stone?

MamaBear

Brilliant_Rock
This should get you started. Whiteflash is a fantastic company to work with. These are top performers, so no need to go check the HCA on them. Good luck!

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It looks tons better but you need to post the AGS report.

I agree with @MamaBear . You can get a Super Ideal in your budget/Specs. These stones are AGS000 H&As.

In a compare

Garry H (Cut Nut)

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
I don't love this one. There are some asymmetries you'll notice compared to a super-ideal cut. I'm not always a super-ideal or nothing person, but this one isn't as good as I'd want an imperfect stone to be
would you bet that you could see that with your naked eye?
I bet I could not.
But it is on my slightly deep borderline.
HCA 2.1

musicloveranthony

Brilliant_Rock
would you bet that you could see that with your naked eye?
I bet I could not.
But it is on my slightly deep borderline.
HCA 2.1

I've got pretty nutty eyes. A jeweler recently had to put my ring under a microscope to see the -slightly- askew mounting on a ring (from a different jeweler) that I'd come in to remedy. Ultimately they told me 9/10 jewelers would send out work that looks the same, so I decided to just save my money.

Diamond_Enthusiast

Shiny_Rock
BGD currently has a sale (9% off with code "BLKWEEK212" for diamond + setting until 11/23 11:59 PM CST) you can preorder a 1.85ct H SI and even include a ring setting and still be within budget! They may have other offers later on Black Friday/Cyber Monday too.

Here is that listing (videos and pictures in this particular listing is a sample, this is a listing to preorder a diamond to be cut by BGD):

They also have a larger H SI2 and although BGD states it is eye clean, you can obviously see the inclusions in the high magnification videos, so not sure if it will be mind clean for you:

Last edited:
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results