shape
carat
color
clarity

Advice needed! Emerald cut diamond bracelet - are the gaps shown in the CAD too wide?

La2020

Brilliant_Rock
Screenshot_20220421-205730_Etsy.jpg

I have received the above CAD from the vendor and the gaps between the emerald cut diamonds seems a bit too big. My husband also agrees that the gaps seem a bit too noticeable.

Here is sample screencap from James Allen. The gaps seem minimal.

20220421_183915.jpg

Is it us or is the design supposed to be like this?

AprilBaby

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Given that the prongs touch each other in the picture I’m assuming they need that much space to bend around your wrist.

La2020

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks @AprilBaby. If the prongs don't touch each other, the gaps will be smaller right?

AprilBaby

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
If you can get the prongs smaller. Right now there is no room.

Garry H (Cut Nut)

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
Simplest solution is for the settings to taper.
This will address the fact that when the bracelet is on your wrist the gaps will be 2-3 time greater because of the radius.
If made to display in a store that will not work because the bracelet will not sit flat - but it may be a happier solution for you - you can have it almost like a rigid bangle with just enough gap to slide over your wrist.
Please do not make it in yellow gold!

La2020

Brilliant_Rock
This will address the fact that when the bracelet is on your wrist the gaps will be 2-3 time greater because of the radius.
If made to display in a store that will not work because the bracelet will not sit flat - but it may be a happier solution for you - you can have it almost like a rigid bangle with just enough gap to slide over your wrist.

Thanks @Garry H (Cut Nut)! Your advice makes sense. I will propose and see what the vendor can do about it.

AprilBaby

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Why not yg? It’s all I wear.

monipod

Brilliant_Rock
Why not yg? It’s all I wear.

I love yg too. I struggled with buying my tennis bracelet from James Allen as they only do white gold, and rather liked a yellow gold bracelet that my local jeweller had. Ultimately the price of the lab stones won me over :D I do like the streamlined look of white stones with white metal for a bracelet thought I must say.

monipod

Brilliant_Rock
Did you specify a budget to your jeweller? That gap is probably saving at least two stones, if not more depending on the length of bracelet. If you don't mind paying for extra stones, then ask them to close the gap up for sure.

La2020

Brilliant_Rock
Did you specify a budget to your jeweller? That gap is probably saving at least two stones, if not more depending on the length of bracelet. If you don't mind paying for extra stones, then ask them to close the gap up for sure.

Thanks for weighing in.. Yes I requested for a narrow gap and didn't mind paying more.. But the vendor refused to change their cad design. I have suspected that they could have wanted to save stones due to that design. There is nothing much I can do n I couldn't abandon the project as I will lose the deposit.

monipod

Brilliant_Rock
But the vendor refused to change their cad design. I have suspected that they could have wanted to save stones due to that design. There is nothing much I can do n I couldn't abandon the project as I will lose the deposit.

That's a shame :( I'll have a look at my James Allen bracelet but I'm fairly certain there's hardly any gap.
I have to say that you may well not notice it as much in real life once in hand, especially if using white gold. If you're well into the project now, maybe see what the end result is like. Do they have photos of other bracelets they've made? CADs are hard to visualise with sometimes.

La2020

Brilliant_Rock
That's a shame :( I'll have a look at my James Allen bracelet but I'm fairly certain there's hardly any gap.
I have to say that you may well not notice it as much in real life once in hand, especially if using white gold. If you're well into the project now, maybe see what the end result is like. Do they have photos of other bracelets they've made? CADs are hard to visualise with sometimes.

Wow.. By any chance did u own one of the James allen tennis emerald cut bracelet? I and my sister in law was eyeing it when we were browsing the site.

Here is the video the vendor sent

monipod

Brilliant_Rock
Wow.. By any chance did u own one of the James allen tennis emerald cut bracelet? I and my sister in law was eyeing it when we were browsing the site.

No, I just have a petite 3 ctw MRB bracelet :) Wow... That's a sizeable piece there. I was going to ask if you went through Vijay at Ouros. There's not a lot of wiggle room with him in terms of bespoke jewellery making so his reluctance to change the CAD doesn't surprise me. However, I think it's a super bracelet. I am not sure if the issue is to do with the relatively tall casing (?) for each stone? It would be hard to get the stones any closer to each other and still be able to give it enough relief to curve around the wrist. That's actually what @AprilBaby mentioned and now that I know your stones are almost .2ct each, that could well be why.
It's hella eye-catching though so I don't think you'll notice it so much once it's in hand.

Rockdiamond

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Yes I requested for a narrow gap and didn't mind paying more.. But the vendor refused to change their cad design.

The greater likelihood is that the vendor buys the bracelet mounting and has little or no ability to change small details.....
It's a tough segment of the market, as compared to say...rings. Rings are easier to cast and engineer.
Making a bracelet from scratch will be prohibitively costly.
Not a big deal on a truly expensive piece......but on a peice costing less than $20k.....not so easy

I think I understand Garry's hesitancy about yellow gold....it will make any gaps more apparent.....

La2020

Brilliant_Rock
No, I just have a petite 3 ctw MRB bracelet :) Wow... That's a sizeable piece there. I was going to ask if you went through Vijay at Ouros. There's not a lot of wiggle room with him in terms of bespoke jewellery making so his reluctance to change the CAD doesn't surprise me. However, I think it's a super bracelet. I am not sure if the issue is to do with the relatively tall casing (?) for each stone? It would be hard to get the stones any closer to each other and still be able to give it enough relief to curve around the wrist. That's actually what @AprilBaby mentioned and now that I know your stones are almost .2ct each, that could well be why.
It's hella eye-catching though so I don't think you'll notice it so much once it's in hand.

Thanks @monipod.. Yes.. I thought that the casing is too high and as u correctly pointed out.. Vijay do not allow much room for changes. Thanks for your assurance.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results