shape
carat
color
clarity

Advice needed! choose between Fancy Vivd vs Fancy Intense cushions

Jacquiemalta

Rough_Rock
About 12 years ago, a friend was getting engaged. He was adamant that his intended wanted a yellow diamonds. She said so. She loved yellow. Her whole house was yellow inside. As I'm more of a "trust but verify" personality, I arranged to have her invited to a brunch with mutual friends. I brought along a bunch of colored gemstones including a bunch of yellows (mostly sapphires) and borrowed my mom's fancy intense yellow diamond, along with a few of my diamonds that are mostly antiques, but range in colors. I initiated a "lets play with these". What I learned that she did love the yellow, but they looked terrible on her skin. They totally died. She loved several of my diamonds and that helped me guide my friend.

Not saying this will be what you learn, but its why we encourage you to make sure she not only wants a yellow diamond but likes them on herself. When you move away from white (which is pretty neutral), it takes more work to be sure.

@sledge and @blueMA are good at figuring out ways to get a girl to try on a ring...

I agree. I had a blue diamond ring saved as inspiration for years. I finally tried on a blue diamond and it looked terrible on me, as does white gold/platinum. I need yellow/orange tones or I look like a corpse. Much as I love coloured stones, I probably wouldn't want one as an ER; just not as flexible as a white diamond.

Siamese Kitty

Brilliant_Rock
Thank you for listening and learning with us. :clap:

One way to get yellow diamonds in a setting without going too far on inquiry to your girl would be a 3-stone setting. You could use yellow side-stones and a white center. If she ever wanted to reset without them, they'd make a great pair of earrings. So, I'd aim for symmetrically shaped side stones (square, round). Keep the side stone on the small side.

This is @Siamese Kitty ring that I used a mask to add some pretty yellow side stones (hope that was ok!). This is a 8.45 mm center with 4.75 mm side stones. The sides could be a bit smaller too given that it will take a good maker time to find a matched pair -- some size flexibility is important. But, with colored sides, I would not want them proportionally much bigger.

upload_2019-1-20_10-25-15.png

We can help you with a setting that will allow a flush wedding band -- again her flexibility.

Oh @rockysalamander , please don't give me any good ideas! :lol: Well, I am biased, but I love this look.

modelcitizen1989

Rough_Rock
With fancy colored diamonds being well cut means showing you the color you paid in all its glory evenly across the stone in as many different lighting conditions as possible with minimal dark zones or anything else that interferes with viewing the color.
While neither one looks that badly cut, one does have more large dark zones than the other in the video.

Thanks for your input. Just for curiosity which one did you feel have more large dark zones visually?

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results