shape
carat
color
clarity

Advice needed about Blue Nile Floating Diamond Wedding Band

ionlywantthebest

Rough_Rock
Hello,

I am new here. I would love your help and advice. I really love the style of this Blue Nile floating diamond wedding band, it is unique and I haven't been able to find an exact replica anywhere else:

http://www.bluenile.com/diamond-ring-platinum_9717?elem=img&track=product

However, I contacted Blue Nile, and they told me the cut quality of the diamonds is "good". There are 7 diamonds total, each of them is about .14 carat each. How important is cut quality when the diamonds are this small? I really want the most sparkly, brilliant diamonds I can find.

I know Whiteflash has their ACA Hearts & Arrows diamond melee, but none of their wedding bands look anything like the floating diamond band I found at Blue Nile.

Not sure what to do. Should I just buy the band from Blue Nile, since I love the setting and can't find it anywhere else? Or do any of you know any amazing jewelers who can make the same exact setting with ideal cut diamonds? How much more do you think it would cost? The Blue Nile ring is $2590.

I have a size 3.5 finger, so I could go even smaller in carat weight. The Blue Nile ring is 1 carat total weight. I think I could be happy with .75 carat total weight as well.

Please let me know what you think I should do. Thank you!

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Re: Advice needed about Blue Nile Floating Diamond Wedding B

http://www.memoire.com/collection/purity/

Look at these wedding bands from Memoire. . . Pearlman's is a Memoire dealer. These are well made rings and you can often choose your color/clarity preferences for the stones.

I have a five stone Memoire ring that I absolutely love!

ionlywantthebest

Rough_Rock

Thank you so much MissGotRocks! I checked out the ring you recommended, they do use ideal cut diamonds, but there is a significant price difference. The Blue Nile ring is $2590 (and is on sale today for $2290) for H / VS2 /good cut diamonds, and the Memoire ring at Pearlmans is $4830 for the exact same carat weight but with G / SI1 /ideal cut diamonds.

http://www.bluenile.com/diamond-ring-platinum_9717?elem=img&track=product

http://www.pearlmansjewelers.com/jewelry-designers/memoire-jewelry/rings/05YY1/

I don't know that much about diamonds, but for diamonds that are only .14 carat each, is there a huge difference in light return between "good" cut and "ideal" cut? The Blue Nile ring is in my budget, the Memoire ring is definitely much more than I'm looking to spend.

Do you think I should try to go to the diamond district (i live in los angeles), and see if someone can replicate this setting with ideal cut diamonds? Do you think this is an easy setting to replicate well? How will I know if the jeweler is using ideal cut diamonds? (since there is no certificate for stones that small)

I'm thinking I should probably just go with the Blue Nile ring... any other thoughts before I make my final decision?

Thank you so much for your help!!!

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

No, I would not go to just anyone in the diamond district to make the ring. I can tell you that the diamond quality in my Memoire ring is outstanding - they were not marketed as ideal cut stones but I really couldn't ask for much better.

I do understand about the price difference though - any branded jewelry generally commands a premium as well. The Memoire rings are made like steel and have a wonderful warranty as well. I've had mine ten years and had to send it back for a slight issue in the shank. It was fixed and returned to me for no charge - at nine years old! Will Blue Nile not upgrade the diamonds in the ring or are these rings premade and bought and sold by Blue Nile?

Have you checked with Whiteflash, Brian Gavin, or David Klass? They make custom pieces as well and the first two can certainly use ideal cut stones.

Lastly, there is no way for me to tell you that you will or won't notice a difference in quality of the diamonds. I am sure that the Memoire ring is a better made ring but don't know if this is a forever wedding band for you or just something that you will wear occasionally. With the size of each stone, you might not notice a tremendous difference. The good news is that Blue Nile has a great return policy so you can order it, see what you think, and send it back if not delighted!

ionlywantthebest

Rough_Rock

Thank you for all your help MissGotRocks! I really appreciate it!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results