shape
carat
color
clarity

Advice I received from BBB...

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Bunnifer

Shiny_Rock
I was talking to a BBB rep today and she was telling me about the differences in ideal, VG, and G cuts. She basically said that the differences among the three cut grades are so minute ("very small") that they are essentially the same. (I quote, "BBB only carries ideal, VG, and G cut diamonds. The difference between them is very small. We do not carry poorly cut diamonds.") Well, DUH!
23.gif

Well, if the differences are so minute, then why differentiate at all?? What a bunch of baloney.
38.gif

jaz464

Ideal_Rock
Kinda makes me want to run right out and buy a diamond from them
40.gif

Blenheim

Ideal_Rock
I once got in a fight with a salesperson there about which diamond was a princess cut and which one was an asscher. After I mentioned step cuts and she didn''t know what I was talking about, I just gave up. I hope it was her first day or something.

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/5/2007 3:26:37 PM
Author: Blenheim
I once got in a fight with a salesperson there about which diamond was a princess cut and which one was an asscher. After I mentioned step cuts and she didn''t know what I was talking about, I just gave up. I hope it was her first day or something.
Your last line made me laugh, because it probably wasn''t.

Bunnifer

Shiny_Rock
LOL, Blenheim
1.gif
Since I''ve been a PSer, I often find myself disputing what the salespeople tell me.

I honestly hope it was her first day, but it probably wasn''t! She needs to log on to PS if she doesn''t know an asscher from a princess!!
34.gif

ILikeBond

Shiny_Rock
Date: 1/5/2007 3:03:20 PM
Author:Bunnifer
I was talking to a BBB rep today and she was telling me about the differences in ideal, VG, and G cuts. She basically said that the differences among the three cut grades are so minute (''very small'') that they are essentially the same. (I quote, ''BBB only carries ideal, VG, and G cut diamonds. The difference between them is very small. We do not carry poorly cut diamonds.'') Well, DUH!
23.gif

Well, if the differences are so minute, then why differentiate at all?? What a bunch of baloney.
38.gif
I bet if you ask her what measurements factor into whether the diamond is classified "ideal" or just "good," all she''ll say is table and depth
20.gif

Tell her its an absolute requirement that the pavilion angle on the stone you buy be no greater than 40.9 degrees. Tell her even 41.0 degrees is "way to steep" for your tastes.
9.gif

kcoursolle

Super_Ideal_Rock
Out of all the C's, cut is the one that I can differentiate the most with my eyes compared to color and clarity. I can differentiate a D from an H with my naked eye, but I cannot differentiate a D from an E. Also, I can't differentiate any of the clarity grades from IF down to eye-clean SI without a loupe at all. The only two differentiations that seem to make a difference for clarity is eye-clean SI/not eye-clean SI and from SI to I1.

I have some poorly cut diamond studs that are about the same size as the stones in my five stone ring and they look very dead compared to my WF stones, I can definitely tell the difference. I don't think I would be able to tell the difference between an excellent cut and a premium cut that is slightly off in polish/symmetry or slightly off in proportions, but I can definitely tell the difference with just my eye between a well-cut stone and a poorly cut stone.

oldminer

Ideal_Rock
Trade
The consumers who have been around Pricescope and the Internet probably know more about how diamonds ought to be sold and described than employees working behind many sales counters in retail jewelry operations. This is not a slam on retailers, but it is an indicator of a rapidly changing sales environment. When consumers drive the market change is much faster than when big corporations set the entire tone of things.

Big business tends to drag itself forward and to make large decisions with very measured slowness and deliberation. That''s how they got to be so successful and large, but the future indicators call for rapid prototyping, rapid decision making processes, and a higher amount of sharing openly necessary information to make fast decisions. Competition is changing not only profit levels but long held business models.

So, when you shop, don''t be surprised when you know more about some parts of the business than the sales help. They''ll eventually get further education, but not at light speed.

Modified Brilliant

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
I''ve mentioned this before....many independent jewelry retailers have never heard of pricescope.
I''ve also said before that with large jewelry corporations, the daily focus is on SALES not EDUCATION.

www.metrojewelryappraisers.com

Bunnifer

Shiny_Rock
Date: 1/8/2007 3:57:17 PM
Author: Modified Brilliant
I''ve mentioned this before....many independent jewelry retailers have never heard of pricescope.

I''ve also said before that with large jewelry corporations, the daily focus is on SALES not EDUCATION.

www.metrojewelryappraisers.com

You can say that again!
11.gif

DBM

Shiny_Rock
BBB? better business bureau??

i would agree with them though in that most people cannot tel the difference between a VG cut and an excellent.

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/8/2007 6:15:24 PM
Author: DBM
BBB? better business bureau??

i would agree with them though in that most people cannot tel the difference between a VG cut and an excellent.
Bailey Banks and Biddle

wayne@gemex

Rough_Rock
Date: 1/5/2007 3:03:20 PM
Author:Bunnifer
I was talking to a BBB rep today and she was telling me about the differences in ideal, VG, and G cuts. She basically said that the differences among the three cut grades are so minute (''very small'') that they are essentially the same. (I quote, ''BBB only carries ideal, VG, and G cut diamonds. The difference between them is very small. We do not carry poorly cut diamonds.'') Well, DUH!
23.gif

38.gif

Ask the salesperson if she will sell you an ''Ideal'' stone for the same price as a ''G'', all else being equal...

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results