shape
carat
color
clarity

Advice from the experts on this stone

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Dana

Rough_Rock
I am considering purchasing this stone , any opinions on it would be greatly appreicated !
1.37 Round VS2 H color
Depth 61.2
Table 56.1
Crown 34.6
Pav 40.8
Culet 0.9
Girdle 0.7 - 1.4
Medium Blue Flourescense
I ran the numbers through the HCA and it came out 1.3 exc , exc , exc , vg
The price of the stone is around 7200.00. Does anyone think the medium flourescense will have a negitive impact on the stone? Thanks in advance for any and all input !
-Dana

niceice

Brilliant_Rock
Hello Dana, the numbers look great! Many of our "personal diamonds" exhibit medium to strong blue fluorescence, it is a characteristic that we really like! In an H color diamond, the blue fluorescence can only help, it will help the stone face up as a strong H and possibly closer to the H towards G side of the scale. The only thing to be aware of with blue fluorescent diamonds is that they will glow neon blue when exposed to "black light" like you might find in an aquarium or a night club, it actually looks really cool!

Dana

Rough_Rock
----------------
On 3/15/2003 12:20:39 AM niceice wrote:

Hello Dana, the numbers look great! Many of our "personal diamonds" exhibit medium to strong blue fluorescence, it is a characteristic that we really like! In an H color diamond, the blue fluorescence can only help, it will help the stone face up as a strong H and possibly closer to the H towards G side of the scale. The only thing to be aware of with blue fluorescent diamonds is that they will glow neon blue when exposed to "black light" like you might find in an aquarium or a night club, it actually looks really cool!
----------------
Thanks for the reply niceice ! I really appreicate that information ! I am going to purchase that stone , The medium fluorescence was the only problem I had with it , but that doesn't seem like it's going to a negative factor at all.
-Dana

Colored Gemstone Nut

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Hey Dana-Nice proportions on that stone. Have you thought of a setting? Don't forget to post pic's of the ring when everything is complete. We all like pic's.

Josh Rioux
Sitka, Alaska
9.gif

Charmed

Shiny_Rock
I have a diamond with a medium blue flourescence. I have a princess cut E color VVS2 stone. The flourescence also acts as an identifying quality since it is rare. So when you pick up your diamond from a jeweler, have them put it under right lights and you will know it is yours!!! I also love the way it looks at clubs with the black light!!!

niceice

Brilliant_Rock
We'd like to say that there are only two instances that we consider blue fluorescence to be a negative factor... The first being the 2% of gem quality diamonds which exhibit such high degrees of fluorescence that the diamond exhibits a foggy or milky appearance, Robin's D color 2.54 carat marquise exhibits Distinct Blue Fluorescence which is beyond the parameters of Strong Blue and if not kept perfectly clean it can appear milky... We picked it up because it makes an excellent "teaching stone" for us to play with... The second instance is not really a negative visual characteristic from such an obvious perspective... Basically a D color diamond with strong blue fluorescence "has the potential" to "face up" like an E color stone... Thus you've paid a D color price for a diamond that "faces up" as if it were an E color... Medium blue fluorescence does not seem to have this effect, but sometimes a strong blue stone will... Similarily, strong blue fluorescence in an E color stone has the "potential" to make the stone face up like a D or very close to it on the high side of the scale for the E color range... In the days of old, D/E color diamonds that exhibited medium to strong blue fluorescence were called "blue white" diamonds and were heavily sought after... But then disreputable jewelers started using blue light bulbs to "create" blue-white diamonds when they didn't have any in-stock and the public began to question the integrity of diamonds with fluorescence... We find most fluorescent diamonds to be quite pretty, especially when viewed in direct sunlight from a side profile, but this is a matter of personal taste... One of our clients from Korea told us that fluorescent diamonds are considered to be "bad luck" there because they are "possessed" - while he had no problem with the concept as a member of the "new generation" he said that his grandparents would simply lose their minds...

Although blue fluorescence is our favorite common hue, white is also acceptable to us as it seems to have no negative impact on the diamond in the faint to medium ranges... We're not fond of medium to strong yellow fluorescence because it can make a stone face up a little yellower than it is, but it is an attractive trait for people who prefer warmer looking stones than the icy white that we prefer... We consider faint fluorescence of any color to merely be an identifying characteristic... Red fluorescence is quite rare and actually demands a premium in the market! No, we don't have a picture of it, but we think that RockDoc or OldMiner might... hint... hint...

Giangi

Ideal_Rock
Wow, the stone looks really beautiful! Sounds like you've done your homework
2.gif
1.gif
!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results