shape
carat
color
clarity

Advice for Newbie: Please offer your opinion, it matters

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Brandt007

Rough_Rock
Please offer your opinion of the following diamond from Whiteflash. If you think it is a go, please tell me. If not please suggest otherwise.

My budget for the stone is $8000. I would like to stay at VS2/G or VS2/F and a well cut, not neccearily H&A, Ideal, etc. The specs follow and the website is at the end. If you go to the site and look at the AGS cert, would the inclusions on the side per prone to chipping?

Thanks so much. I really value this website''s information and your opinions.

1.142 carat A Cut Above H&A Diamond

Item Code: AGS-4191303
Price: $7,998.00
Report: AGS
Shape: A Cut Above H&A
Carat: 1.142
Color: G
Clarity: VS2
Depth: 60.6
Table: 55
Crown Angle: 34.8
Crown %: 15.4
Pavilion Angle: 40.9
Pavilion %: 43
Girdle: 0.7%-1.2%, Thin Faceted
Polish: Ideal
Symmetry: Ideal
Culet: Pointed
Fluorescence: Negligible
Measurements: 6.80-6.82X4.13

Whiteflash 1.14

aljdewey

Ideal_Rock
Brandt: This stone is ABSOLUTELY a go from the numbers and the grading report.

I highly doubt the inclusions would make it prone to chipping.....but do yourself a favor.

First, if you really think this is the one, put the diamond on hold......that way no one can buy it online while you're doing your diligence.

Second, get on the horn with Brian (the cutter at WF) and ask him to view the stone with you on the phone and tell you about the inclusions (what kind of inclusions are they, what color are they, will they be vulnerable to chipping.) He'll tell you everything you need to know.

I was comtemplating two H stones, one SI1 and one SI2. When he looked at them, he felt that the SI2 should have been an SI1. Saved myself a ton of money, and my appraiser said "it's a TOP, TOP, TOP SI2.....DEFINITELY eyeclean."

Brian will tell it like it is. The SI1 was more expensive, but he felt the SI2 was cleaner and recommended that one.

Oh....the other thing my appraiser said?.....it is GORGEOUS.

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
Looks like an exellent example of an aca h&a diamond.
Call them about any questions you have as noted above.

canadiangrrl

Brilliant_Rock
Brandt, I wouldn't worry about inclusions chipping in a VS2 of this size.

This is a very lovely stone on paper. However, you stated that you're not necessarily seeking an ideal or H&A, and this is certainly both.
1.gif
Within your budget parameters, I think you could still get a very well cut, sparkly G VS2 that would be somewhat bigger. I don't know if this matters to you or your intended, but I thought I'd bring it up.
1.gif

pqcollectibles

Ideal_Rock
Ditto's to what AL said. Put that puppy on hold while you get answers to your questions. AL lost a diamond that sold quick, quick, quick. Several us non-West Coast people were up wayyy past our bedtimes last week because of that! HeeeHeee
9.gif

I've had a chat with Brian and he absolutely, positively tells it like it is. When I was deciding between 2 ACA's, he pulled both diamonds out and discussed the inclusions in detail over the phone with me. I went with one over the other based on our discussion. He'll even email you pics, and magnified pics just so you can see for yourself.

And, when you call White Flash, mention Price Scope and you'll get a discount. WF gives discounts to folks from PS.
1.gif

canadiangrrl

Brilliant_Rock
Brandt - here's the deal.
1.gif

I have a 1.18, AGS graded, F I1 RB. The major inclusion is pronged - out of sight. The rest are invisible to the naked eye. It's very well cut - scored 1.0 EX/EX/EX/VG on the HCA. It has ideal polish and symmetry, lovely arrows when viewed from the top, and when viewed from the bottom, grinning Scooby Doo heads when viewed with a special scope, similar to the psychedelic puzzlescopes we played with as kids (kidding, of course.)
2.gif

The parameters are all within ideal tolerances, with the exception of the girdle - it's extremely thin to medium. Therefore, it isn't considered an ideal by AGS - the folks who graded it. Our appraiser told us that it wasn't a major concern. I don't even wear it when I do the dishes, let alone play sports, so I'm not worried.
1.gif

Here's my point. The stone you are referring to above is close to eight grand. My stone, with a better colour, slightly bigger diameter, slightly heavier carat weight, a relatively equal cut, same gorgeous arrows, and likely almost, but not quite, as eyeclean, was four thousand and seven hundred dollars less.

I am bringing this to your attention because you stated that you are not necessarily seeking an ideal or an H&A, but are seeking a well cut stone. Well, I have a well cut stone.
1.gif
And as you can see, the price differential between mine and the one you're considering is rather signficant.

There's nothing inherently wrong with the WF stone - in fact, I'd wager that it's near perfect.
1.gif
And I'm not suggesting you try to find a well cut, reasonably eyeclean I1 - that's a whole other kettle of fish.
1.gif
But if you're not seeking absolute perfection, and can live with one or two flaws that have no bearing on appearance, give some thought to a non-superideal. You can either save yourself some coin, or up your carat weight this way.
1.gif

pqcollectibles

Ideal_Rock
CG,.... I saw your ring pic in another thread. You got a find, girlfriend!

I wouldn't hesitate to buy the right I1. If I can't see it, and I own it, know it well, then who will? Except maybe little Bobby, the neighbor's 6 year old son, who sees everything you don't want him to. But, I digress.....

I saw a superbly hidden I1 when I was shopping. Of course I didn't have Cut info and it was outrageously priced. It was one of those traveling "Loose Diamond Events" that moves from town to town. The one inclusion that got the I1 rating was well hidden in the "corner" angle where the table ends and the facets cut down toward the girdle. I looked and looked with a loupe before I found it. You had to hold the diamond at just the right angle to even see it. Face up, it didn't show. Anyone looking casually would never see it. Crafty on the part of the cutter, I thought.
1.gif

Giangi

Ideal_Rock
That G/VS 2 is a BOMB!
1.gif
1.gif

BTW, good I 1's are great because they look sooooo good once set and have an affordable price tag! Yours is an excellent example, Mrs. Scooby Doo!
1.gif
9.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results