shape
carat
color
clarity

Advice for First Diamond Purchase

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

RonDC

Rough_Rock
I am looking for a round solitaire diamond in the .9 to 1.0 carat range and see a large quantity available so I used the Pricescope cut adviser to (weed out) some of them. I would like the diamond to be eye clean and have at least a very good HCA score. I found one at James Allen I think is what I want but the GIA cert is Dec. 2006. I don''t know why it has been sitting for so long and would like an opinion of it. Thanks in advance.

CARAT 0.93
COLOR G
CLARITY VS2
HCA 0.9-EX (ex-ex-ex-vg)
AGS 1
DEPTH 60.4%
TBL 58%
CROWN 35°
PAVILLION 40.6°
GRD thn-med
CULET no
POLISH ex
SYM vg
FLOUR ft
MEAS 6.32*6.37*3.83
Price $4330

Regular Guy

Ideal_Rock
Without having done too much analysis...that one would be my top candidate.

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
I would want to see an IS on it first.

Regular Guy

Ideal_Rock
Date: 9/5/2007 2:14:14 PM
Author: Regular Guy
Without having done too much analysis...that one would be my top candidate.
OK...so looking just a little further...since you''d be reaching them...I''d ask them about 2 more at least while you''re at it:

This one...found on their signature db

and this one, found on the Pricescope "in-house" list.

RonDC

Rough_Rock
Pardon me for my ignorance but what is an IS?

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Idealscope Image = IS.

RonDC

Rough_Rock
I called James Allen about these three diamonds and they told me the .9 F H&A was definitely a better diamond than the first .93 ct one I found. I ran the H&A one through the HCA online and it calculated a TVP of .8 with factors similar to the first one. So maybe I should lean towards the H&A one. Both are now on hold while I contact the the Sarasota Gem Lab. I was thinking of sending the one I choose to them for peace of mind. Does any of this make sense? I wonder how I could get an IS image of these?

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 9/6/2007 11:08:16 AM
Author: RonDC
I called James Allen about these three diamonds and they told me the .9 F H&A was definitely a better diamond than the first .93 ct one I found. I ran the H&A one through the HCA online and it calculated a TVP of .8 with factors similar to the first one. So maybe I should lean towards the H&A one. Both are now on hold while I contact the the Sarasota Gem Lab. I was thinking of sending the one I choose to them for peace of mind. Does any of this make sense? I wonder how I could get an IS image of these?
JA can get you an IS, just ask them for it. They used to provide these free, but I think there is a 30 dollar charge for them now. At least that is what I heard last. Best just to ask them about it.

I''d go for the one they suggested is better.

And no, nothing wrong with sending it to an independant appraiser for confirmation.

Regular Guy

Ideal_Rock
Date: 9/6/2007 11:29:29 AM
Author: Ellen

Date: 9/6/2007 11:08:16 AM
JA can get you an IS, just ask them for it. They used to provide these free, but I think there is a 30 dollar charge for them now. At least that is what I heard last. Best just to ask them about it.

I'd go for the one they suggested is better.

And no, nothing wrong with sending it to an independant appraiser for confirmation.

Ron, on this one...they should have just had it up. I went to get it for you...but I suppose because you have it on hold...it is now no longer showing on their "signature" db. But...I'm pretty sure the IS has been shot for this one...that it was up yesterday...and this being the case...I think you can just ask for it.

Note, as I think it works with their resources...IS's are no longer accessed from the view of the diamond...you have to go through their internal Signature series look up spreadsheet, and get it there. But...it's not there now...as I think they must have taken it off.

Bottom line...with a picture already having been taken...I'd hope you can just request it.

-----------------

edited to add...picking gets a little tricky. You can always find a nicer diamond (almost) if you just pay for the difference. Trust is never an issue when they tell you the nicer diamond is the cheaper one.

You have, by my suggestion at least, from 3 different, non-integrated databases, 3 options...with a thousand dollar spread...and your first pick in the middle. Cyphering the difference is not easy, but meaningful.

You could be well advised to get whatever they can give you for each...including IS's for ones you do want to consider, and for which you don't have them.

And, regarding a choice of appraisers...I think your Sarasota guy is very hip to valuing ideal cut diamonds...so you've got an excellent resource selected.

Regards,

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 9/6/2007 11:36:47 AM
Author: Regular Guy

Ron, on this one...they should have just had it up. I went to get it for you...but I suppose because you have it on hold...it is now no longer showing on their ''signature'' db. But...I''m pretty sure the IS has been shot for this one...that it was up yesterday...and this being the case...I think you can just ask for it.

Note, as I think it works with their resources...IS''s are no longer accessed from the view of the diamond...you have to go through their internal Signature series look up spreadsheet, and get it there. But...it''s not there now...as I think they must have taken it off.

Ira, I''m not sure what you are referring to here, but I will try and find it. I do know someone posted awhile ago that they had to pay for an IS...and I''m pretty sure it was a Signature Ideal.

But, whatever it is you''re talking about (spreadsheet), that would explain why I never see IS''s anymore.

Regular Guy

Ideal_Rock
Date: 9/6/2007 11:48:43 AM

style="WIDTH: 98.85%; HEIGHT: 7px">

Ira, I''m not sure what you are referring to here, but I will try and find it. I do know someone posted awhile ago that they had to pay for an IS...and I''m pretty sure it was a Signature Ideal.

But, whatever it is you''re talking about (spreadsheet), that would explain why I never see IS''s anymore.
Ellen, Ron,

Two points,

1) Come into the JA web site, select a) diamonds, and then b) signature diamonds, and...vwala...

2) An idea for you. Though Richard may have a typical approach of working on a diamond...why don''t you consider...since you''ll use him anyway...including some upfront...time based (or some calculation based) consulting...and having him glance at whatever data you can get from them...to help you then decide what to send him. The main choosing...as far as I''m concerned...is which one to send him. After he gets it...the devil becomes lost on the still oh so very important details.

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Ira, I can get to vwala just fine. lol But, when I click onto a H&A diamond to view it, please tell me where I can then find the IS. I can get the grading report, and real diamond image, but where is the IS pic??

Regular Guy

Ideal_Rock
Date: 9/6/2007 12:13:09 PM
Ira, I can get to vwala just fine. lol But, when I click onto a H&A diamond to view it, please tell me where I can then find the IS. I can get the grading report, and real diamond image, but where is the IS pic??
No drilling through.

Vwala...

See the first splash of color in the column for cut...select the item that looks like a hearts image...while it is in the column!

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
I gets it.
9.gif

Thankies.
2.gif

RonDC

Rough_Rock
I''ve decided on the H&A diamond but Richard is tied up on a long job and will be unavailable for me. He recommended however a couple of others but they are not in my driving range. He recommended Neil Beatty out of Denver, or Dave Atlas out of Philadelphia. Is it a good idea or necessary to be present at the appraisal? Pricescope also references Chuck Stoddard who is only 30 mi. from me. Has anyone heard of him?

Regular Guy

Ideal_Rock
Ron,

Given your proximity to Richard, I''m especially sorry for you.

I only have one practical suggestion...

Look here. Garry still uses the TV hookup the past admin set up for communicating. Neil might, too (Dave never got into it, and declined to do it for appraisals.). If Neil would do this, he''d be my first choice.

RonDC

Rough_Rock
The H&A diamond is on the way to Neil in Denver and I''m feeling a lot more confident now thanks to everyone''s help. I should know in a few days if it''s the one. I''m really glad to have found this site otherwise another anniversary might have slipped by without the diamond and that wouldn''t be good.

Regular Guy

Ideal_Rock
Will you be looking at a laminated poster of him while he''s appraising?

RonDC

Rough_Rock
Ira,

I suppose it''s not good thing being absent at the appraisal but I did it anyway. Maybe I could get him to send me an animated laminated poster. The cost wasn''t bad and JA will pay the shipping both ways if I ultimately accept the stone. Neil sent me the report already and it pretty much confirms what the stone was advertised at. The exception being the hearts and arrows classification. Neil''s opinion, unfortunately was that the hearts were not of consistant enough shape for the stone to be classified as such but the other characteristics were excellent (all AGS 0) and he told me it was definitely eye clean. He provided me with an AGS ASET image of the hearts and arrows and I suppose it''s not perfect but I''ll have to do some more looking to see what it really should look like. I''m thinking of maybe continuing with the sale and having it set in one of JA''s platinum rings. I still would need to have it appraised with the setting for insurance purposes however. I could bring it to another local appraiser then and get another opinion. Worst case - I could return it and redo the process but it probably wouldn''t happen by the time I was hoping for (Oct. 15). Do you think the H&A issue will be a show stopper and I should keep looking? I could send you the report if you like.

Regular Guy

Ideal_Rock
Date: 9/7/2007 11:25:56 PM
I could send you the report if you like.

Hey...what took so long!

face3.gif

Ron, I like to do my own analysis, so please both send the report and the diamond. But, no return address please, I like to intuit those.

31.gif

So.....

I think it's all good.

Unfortunately, it takes money to save money, which puts you back to square one.

First...read this thread...noting particularly Garry's comments on H&A altogether. If you believe his notes on HCA, why not this?

Next..now what. Is the diamond still better than the first one you saw? It's certainly a better color, which is favorable. If Neil confirmed more or less your SI was eye clean...going backwards at this point probably doesn't make sense, I'd say.

Re the follow up review....Neil charges for this because he invests time in it. But...maybe you were reasonably more concerned to study up the diamond proper. You could have the diamond appraised separately locally. Richard might be free by then to finish it up? Maybe you could actually even partner with a local guy to check your workmanship, and call Neil up, and based on the report from the local guy...tell Neil to knock out a final appraisal, and charge you for this. Or...maybe just go for round two with Neil altogether. Whether you use Neil once or twice, do make sure you get some paperwork from him you can use for your insurance. I'll bet I wasn't needed to give that advice...but it couldn't hurt.

Warm regards,

RonDC

Rough_Rock
Thanks Ira, I''ve quick looked at the threads you referenced and matched my diamond H&A pattern to some of them and true, it isn''t perfect but not phony either. I''m going to spend some time this weekend when the recipient (Maryann) is out shopping or late at night to study this some more. I''m starting to get warmed up to it again. I''ll let you know.
Have a good weekend!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results