shape
carat
color
clarity

advice for a poor recent college graduate

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

ringshopper

Rough_Rock
I'm new to the diamond game, but after a couple weeks of what has basically been diamond boot camp, I have--through this site--found what appears to be a very good diamond and a very good deal.

Here is the info:
Shape A Cut Above H&A
Carat 0.454
Color H
Clarity SI1
Measurements (mm) 4.93-4.96x 3.05
Table % 55
Depth % 61.7
Crown Angle ° 34.1
Crown % 15
Pavilion Angle ° 40.9
Pavilion % 43.1
Polish Ideal
Symmetry Ideal
Girdle 1.2%-1.6% Thin to Medium Faceted
Culet Pointed
Fluorescence Inert

I can get it for somewhere between $854 and $871.

I ran it through the Holloway Cut Adviser and it came back with a score of 1.1, which I understand is pretty good.

I am concerned only becasue this seems to be such a good deal. I bought a bailey banks ring this weekend (which I will be returning) that is g si2 with above-average cut and a plain tiffany platinum setting for 2000, which would make the diamond something like 1700.

Even on blue nile, etc., a diamond that is only very good polish, sym., g si1 and about the same size would be probably something more to the tune of 1,000. Is it entirely due to the "undesirable" size (i.e., not quite .5)?

Thanks in advance for the reassurance. I am a recently-graduated college student looking to buy his long-time girlfriend a nice ring while still allowing me to pay--gulp--student loans!!! So I'm taking this purchase seriously, even though it's not nearly as big a purchase as many of the people on here are making.

Richard Sherwood

Ideal_Rock
Hi R.S. Sounds like a nice diamond you've found there.

A "light half" does trade at a discount under a "full half", but mostly what you're seeing is the difference between smart shopping Internet pricing and no-brainer mall shopping. You pay a premium to cover the convenience and overhead of mall stores. Kind of like shopping in 7/11 instead of WalMart.

The price is very good, but sounds "real". Buy with the stipulation that you'd like to have it checked out upon receiving it, with the right of return if something doesn't jive.

I don't think you'll have a problem.

Rich, GG
Sarasota Gemological Laboratory

ringshopper

Rough_Rock
Thanks, Rich, for the comments. I should mention that I found it on whiteflash.com and the diamond is AGS certified. I mention this only becuase the might automatically rule out the possibility of it being a bum deal. So far, I've found Lesley H. to be an incredibly nice lady to deal with.

Richard Sherwood

Ideal_Rock
Yeah, I've heard nothing but good things about Lesley.

The AGS cert is nice to have. Looks like all green lights to me.

Rich, GG
Sarasota Gemological Laboratory

fire&ice

Ideal_Rock
sounds like a nice stone. Good luck

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results