shape
carat
color
clarity

Advice for a newbie - which one?

pomellina

Rough_Rock
Hi

Looking at buying my first diamond for an engagement ring.

Budget is approximately £500-550 (US$765-842) for the stone because I have to factor in the setting on top and also (value added) tax @ 20%, as I'm purchasing from the UK.

I would like a round stone, approximately 0.4 carats, as I have browsed settings on the Internet and thought 0.3 looked a little too small for the setting I like (see http://img.bluenile.com/is/image/customerrings/56519927?$500x376$).

Could you advise which of the following stones is better or else what I should be looking for otherwise?

Shape and cutting style - Round brilliant
Measurements - 4.73 x 4.75 x 2.96 mm
Carat weight - 0.4 carat
Colour grade - F
Clarity grade - VS1
Cut grade - Excellent
Clarity characteristics - Cloud finish
Fluorescence - Medium blue
Depth % - 62.4%
Table % - 54%
Polish - Excellent
Symmetry - Excellent
Girdle - Medium
Cutlet - None

Shape and cutting style - Round brilliant
Measurements - 4.66 x 4.72 x 2.83 mm
Carat weight - 0.38 carat
Colour grade - F
Clarity grade - VS1
Cut grade - Excellent
Clarity characteristics - Crystal finish
Polish - Excellent
Symmetry - Very good
Fluorescence - None
Depth % - 60.3%
Table % - 60%
Girdle - Medium to slightly thick
Cutlet - None

In short, I am looking for a diamond that represents good value for money and will look pretty.

My main requirements at the minute are an excellent cut, VS2 or above clarity and H or above colour. When buying unseen, is there anything else I need to be aware of? Since I am not buying a massive diamond, is there anything else I can 'scrimp' on to save without compromising the overall look?

Thank you very much for your advice and patience with a newbie!

chel180

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Your setting looks pretty and you should be able to get similar ones from many suppliers so you can shop around for the best price. I would recommend that you buy your diamond and setting from the same place tho, this will save your spending extra £££s on shipping and some sellers charge a fee to set stone bought elsewhere. You diddn't say what metal you want for the setting but to allow you to spend as much as possible of the budget on the center diamond I would suggest going for 14kt white gold. The look will be the same without adding additional cost. How much this setting you are looking at going to cost?

To save some more pounds I would consider looking at SI1 diamonds and I-J colours. Most people would not be able to tell the differece between a H and a J. Also most girls really do want the biggest sparkliest diamond for the budget and would rather your placed size above colour and clarity. What is your overall budget for setting and ring?

Have you looked at Diamondgeezer.co.uk I haven't checked the prices lately but as you are UK based you may find it cheaper as no additional sales tax/shipping costs. It might be worth checking. I haven't personally purchased from here but I have friends that have and were very happy.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results