shape
carat
color
clarity

Advice for a Canadian please

Redgram

Rough_Rock
Hello! I'm hoping to get some advice on buying an engagement ring but unfortunately, I'm pressed for time as I'd like to pop the question less than a month from now.
  1. I've looked at some diamonds on James Allen and White Flash and I noticed in the magnified view that the diamonds with a VS1 rating have tiny specks visible. How obvious are these in person to the naked eye? When I spoke with someone at a reputable local shop, he told me that I'd be fine with an S1. Any thoughts on this?

2. What websites should I be looking at other than James Allen and White Flash?

3. Should I be getting the setting from where I order the diamond or should I get them separately? Are there positives and negatives that I should be aware of?

4. I don't know my girlfriend's ring finger size and there's really no way for me to find out. How should I go about handling this? One shop suggested I propose with a loaner ring, which would also help solve the time crunch that I'm in (I could order a custom engagement ring after and my girlfriend could be part of the creation process). I also spoke with Tiffany and they said that they would sell me an available completed ring so that I could propose with it, and then I could have it resized after. While I would much prefer to propose with the actual ring, the "problem" is that Tiffany diamonds carry a huge premium (I was also disappointed to learn that the diamond they have available for me has a colour grade of I).

5. Thoughts on the big name diamond engagement shops? Tiffany, Cartier, Bulgari, etc.

6. Any recommendations for shops in Canada?

rockysalamander

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Let's start with your budget, all in for the diamond and setting, in USD excluding any taxes. Any thoughts on diamond color and shape? What kind of setting does she like (post a picture)? What has she said she wants or likes?

1. Clarity. There are eye clean SI1s and ones that look like salt was spilled on them. The same can be sure of VS2. The best thing to do is look at each diamonds individually. If you post your wishes, PS members will scour reliable known vendors and post some that we think offer a good balance for your budget.

2. You can search James Allen, Whiteflash, Brian Gavin, High Performance Diamonds, Brilliantly Engaged, Blue Nile. Depending on the setting you like, we may have to lean toward one or the other.

3. Ordering a diamond and setting from the same place is always easier. But, depending on the kind of setting and your budget, we may recommend having the setting made by a specific maker with that style. A one month timeline is aggressive, but potentially doable.

4. Ring Size. Does she have a friend, sister or mother you can enlist to help? A recently engaged friend that can have her "try on" their ring? If no, then you can use a 'presentation setting' which are cheap and will work, but it is vastly the wrong size could disappoint her. Look at her gloves, what size are they? If they are not S/M, they will have a number in them. That number will be great to give a ballpark. Again...advice might depend on the setting type.

5. I can't fault their setting quality, but they are very overpriced. If the name is not important as "brand", let's see what we can find you. They don't called "Hearts on Fire"--"Wallets on Fire" for nothing.

6. I'm not Canadian, but I've heard there may be advantages to BN for Canadians (I'm assuming you can't drive over the border to the US??). Hopefully other Canadians chime in.

flyingpig

Ideal_Rock
Premium
1. VS1 is eye clean. a very safe choice for Canadian shoppers ordering from a US vendor
2. Bluenile, James Allen, Whiteflash, Brian Gavin
3. It is recommended that you get the entire ring done at one place.
4. It is the best to have your gf involved in the process.
I personally ordered this. It takes about 2 weeks. But you only have 1 month.
https://www.bluenile.com/ca/education/rings/find-your-ring-size
Related Q3, Bluenile appears to offer free return shipping and local repair/resizing service.
https://www.bluenile.com/ca/policies/returns
5. If you like those brands, go for it. But you can get a better diamond less than 1/2 the price online or other local places. I just went to Cartier. Their diamonds were unimpressive. Steep, large table, large table reflection.. MEH...
6. Where do you live?

Like RS said, what is your budget? what setting? what carat size/color/clarity do you have in mind?

Redgram

Rough_Rock
Thanks for the quick responses! Some additional details...
  1. All in, I'm aiming for about $25k USD but I can stretch this considerably if necessary.
  2. I'm looking for a diamond that's round and colourless with a minimum weight of 1.5ct. 2ct is ideal but would require a lot of budget stretching for the likes of Tiffany and Cartier (unfortunately, they don't seem to have that many options available right now either). Definitely no visible inclusions so I'd prefer VS2 or better.
  3. If I recall correctly, one of the settings that she seemed to like is the Tiffany Novo but we haven't really looked at any others outside of Tiffany.
  4. I must admit that I am partial to the big designer brands but that likely means a smaller a smaller diamond or a smaller bank account. Maybe something custom from a local designer would be a good option (I don't really like the idea of just replicating an existing design)... thoughts on this?
  5. I might be able to enlist a friend to try to get some more details about her ring size and preferences but I'm pretty sure this would tip her off. I've never heard of a presentation setting but perhaps this could be a good option given my timeline?
  6. I live near Toronto and unfortunately, I can't head over to the US that easily.

Attachments

• tiffany-novo-36275421_RG_OVIEW_m.jpg
    tiffany-novo-36275421_RG_OVIEW_m.jpg
    46.1 KB · Views: 46
Last edited:

rockysalamander

Ideal_Rock
Premium
There are a lot of options similar to the Novo. That gives PSers a start for you. Don't go custom until you have to, ok? That is a much longer process. But, if you can't get her ring size, we are going to tell you to stick with a basic solid-band solitaire. Pave (the way the diamonds are set on the novo band) has a limited sizing range.

For Tiffany and others, most of us find ththeir diamonds lacking...you really are paying just for the name, not a difference in quality. Let us see what we can find for you. You can always decide to go to TIffany's after looking at what can be found by PS members.

Just give the PSers a few hours to give you some options. More stones to follow, but this is a great clean stone, super-ideal.

https://www.whiteflash.com/loose-diamonds/round-cut-loose-diamond-3802920.htm

https://www.whiteflash.com/engageme...-sleek-line-solitaire-engagement-ring-728.htm

rockysalamander

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Work on getting her ring size. When you went to Tiffany with her, did the rings fit her? Were they small or big?

What color metal? White, yellow or rose?

So, we are going to start to give you some options. We are giving you choices on which of the 4Cs and budget you want to flex. These are all eye-clean , but make trades between clarity, color and size.

HPD 2.10 H, VS2, $27878, http://www.hpdiamonds.com/en-us/diamonddetail/HPD7015 {for ref if you want to get over 2 carats)

WF, 2.052 I, VS1, $20,904. https://www.whiteflash.com/loose-diamonds/round-cut-loose-diamond-3849909.htm

WF, 1.912, F VS2, $25303usd. https://www.whiteflash.com/loose-diamonds/round-cut-loose-diamond-3802920.htm

WF 1.828 G VS1, $22914. https://www.whiteflash.com/loose-diamonds/round-cut-loose-diamond-3839981.htm

HPD. 1.81 H VS1, $21498. http://www.hpdiamonds.com/en-us/diamonddetail/HPD8596 {request a video}

HPD. 1.81, I VS2, $18,189. http://www.hpdiamonds.com/en-us/diamonddetail/HPD8979 {request a video}

BG 1.604 F VS2, $17,802, strong blue florescence, http://www.briangavindiamonds.com/d...1.604-f-vs2-round-diamond-ags-bl-104083068014 from @flyingpig

From a cut and performance basis, these three will be similar. They are all super-ideal (precision cut for performance, akin to Hearts on Fire). All these can make a setting like the Novo.

EllieTO

Shiny_Rock
Premium
If you intend to propose with "the" ring rather than a stand-in, then you should do your best to at least approximate her ring size, especially if you want a pave band. Whatever you do, make sure you get a half-eternity rather than full eternity, i.e. the diamonds on the band go only halfway around rather than all the way around. Those can be sized, but still, not by like 3 sizes or anything. That was a good point above about whether the rings at stores seemed to fit her. I was recently trying on rings at a store, and they were all size 7. My ring finger is a 4, so they were comically huge on me. They were even too big on my middle finger. Did she seem to have a similar issue, or did they more or less fit? If the latter, you can probably go with a size 6 to start, if she's generally a small lady, otherwise a 7. But either way, you'll be sizing the ring probably locally (it may not be worth the bother to send it back and forth across the border). Also, you may want to think about how you or her would feel if you present to her "the" ring but she can't wear it at all until resizing (or, worse, she doesn't like the style). It kind of defeats the purpose of the surprise. You may want to go with a stand-in ring, then get her input for the real one after.

Since you seem to like the higher end prestigious names, how about a top quality hand forged setting by one of the masters in the field? Your budget allows it. I was thinking Victor Canera (I love his stuff!!), and he does have a pave setting similar to the Novo that's in stock and not special order. You can take your pick of any of the Canera Ideal Round diamonds in his inventory. He has 1.7-1.8 G/H VS1/2 in the range of $21-23K. The posters above would be more qualified than I am at helping pick a specific one, but from what I know you can't go wrong with his diamonds.
https://www.victorcanera.com/rings/engagement/tapered-band-pave-solitaire

Redgram

Rough_Rock
Wow, the community here is amazing! Thank you so much for the help so far!

These prices are nearly half the prices I was quoted at Tiffany and Cartier so if I don't go with a big designer brand, I'd like to aim for a 2ct diamond.

Work on getting her ring size. When you went to Tiffany with her, did the rings fit her? Were they small or big?

What color metal? White, yellow or rose?

Unfortunately, I didn't have the foresight to encourage her to try on any rings. But... I managed to snoop around her bathroom and find a ring that's a size 5. I assume she wears this on her middle finger but it's an inexpensive ring so it's possible that the sizing isn't 100% correct (I haven't seen her wear it in a long time). Is this helpful enough to allow me to get a pave ring that can be resized?

As for the metal, I think she likes platinum.

This one looks great! My only concern is the colour. Are some I's more yellow than others? The Tiffany diamond that I was inquiring about was also an 'I' and that's what threw me off. My understanding is that 'I' is around where people begin to perceive the yellow tint.

Since you seem to like the higher end prestigious names, how about a top quality hand forged setting by one of the masters in the field? Your budget allows it. I was thinking Victor Canera (I love his stuff!!), and he does have a pave setting similar to the Novo that's in stock and not special order.

Thanks for the suggestion! I am not at all familiar with the masters in the field and that pave setting does look beautiful. Are there any other names that I should be looking at?

There are also some local shops here that will source diamonds and work with ring makers. I know that this is very much a case-by-case situation but I was wondering if anyone has any thoughts on going this route versus buying online or from a designer brand.

And lastly, how common is it for people to propose with a stand-in ring? Does the stand-in ring use the actual diamond? I'm wondering if this is really an option for me given the time constraints and because this would allow my girlfriend to be part of the selection process.

rockysalamander

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Wow, the community here is amazing! Thank you so much for the help so far!

These prices are nearly half the prices I was quoted at Tiffany and Cartier so if I don't go with a big designer brand, I'd like to aim for a 2ct diamond.

Unfortunately, I didn't have the foresight to encourage her to try on any rings. But... I managed to snoop around her bathroom and find a ring that's a size 5. I assume she wears this on her middle finger but it's an inexpensive ring so it's possible that the sizing isn't 100% correct (I haven't seen her wear it in a long time). Is this helpful enough to allow me to get a pave ring that can be resized?

As for the metal, I think she likes platinum.

This one looks great! My only concern is the colour. Are some I's more yellow than others? The Tiffany diamond that I was inquiring about was also an 'I' and that's what threw me off. My understanding is that 'I' is around where people begin to perceive the yellow tint.

Thanks for the suggestion! I am not at all familiar with the masters in the field and that pave setting does look beautiful. Are there any other names that I should be looking at?

There are also some local shops here that will source diamonds and work with ring makers. I know that this is very much a case-by-case situation but I was wondering if anyone has any thoughts on going this route versus buying online or from a designer brand.

And lastly, how common is it for people to propose with a stand-in ring? Does the stand-in ring use the actual diamond? I'm wondering if this is really an option for me given the time constraints and because this would allow my girlfriend to be part of the selection process.
I would still be hesitant to have a pave-band based on that information. Get a stand-in setting and the real diamond. So, you will buy a simple solitaire, once you choose a vendor they can help. You will place your lovely sparkly diamond in that setting. Present to your girl. Then, choose a final setting --ideally with the same vendor.

But, you are going to have to make some quick decisions to get a diamond in time. The stones I posted all were within your stated budget of 25k. These are both over 2 carats and in or slightly over budget (posted again below. Most of the diamond industry takes August off, so there are not a ton of choices in your size/budget right now.

HPD 2.10 H, VS2, $27878, http://www.hpdiamonds.com/en-us/diamonddetail/HPD7015 {for ref if you want to get over 2 carats)

WF, 2.052 I, VS1, $20,904. https://www.whiteflash.com/loose-diamonds/round-cut-loose-diamond-3849909.htm
https://www.whiteflash.com/loose-diamonds/round-cut-loose-diamond-3849909.htm
Color is very personal. But, I consider myself color-observant and I don't mind a G or H in ideal and will go down to a J in super-ideal. But, if you are nervous, stick with the HPD 2.1 H VS2. Here on PS, we value CUT and adjust color and clarity to meet budget.

Nobody here will encourage you to work with a local jewller unknown to a PS member or vendor to get a diamond or make a setting. We have heard way too many horror stories (I have one of my own and I'm pretty savvy). They don't have access to the number and variety of stones you can find online. Especially if you want pave, you need an excellent bench. Pave is more fragile and needs proper setting. If you are going with a simple solitiare, have the vendor you purchased the diamond from set it. They take all liability for setting the diamond (a very risky time for diamonds). I think it woudl be worse to give a too small than too big ring. I just checked with little fingered coworkers and they said if her middle if 5, aim for a 4 for the presentation solitaire (but their fingers varied from 1/2 - 1 1/2 sized between middle and ring finger). So, no pave yet. I would say it is pretty common if guys who don't have firm ring sizes or style are listening. :mrgreen2:

Redgram

Rough_Rock
Thank you all so much for the quick responses. I'm at work so I'll respond to as much as I can as soon as I can.

I would still be hesitant to have a pave-band based on that information. Get a stand-in setting and the real diamond. So, you will buy a simple solitaire, once you choose a vendor they can help. You will place your lovely sparkly diamond in that setting. Present to your girl. Then, choose a final setting --ideally with the same vendor.

How does this work if I buy the diamond online? Do the online vendors (JA, WF, Brian Gavin, etc.) usually sell these presentation solitaires that I can switch out after presentation? Is there a name for this? Or am I just buying the cheapest solitaire available?

I guess this means I would be shipping the actual diamond back to the US? I was thinking about buying a loose diamond online and having someone local handle the setting but you raise a very good point about liability.

I also prioritize cut over clarity and colour but as mentioned, I definitely want to avoid any inclusions to the naked eye (is VS2 sufficient or should I go for VS1?), and I'd like to avoid any noticeable tint but it's hard for me to pick a specific grade since I haven't seen a comparison in person.

SimoneDi

Ideal_Rock
Premium
The cheapest solitaire settings are usually what we refer to as "temporary" settings. Example: http://www.briangavindiamonds.com/e...e/four-prong-solitaire-14k-white-gold-5342w14

I don't necessarily think that you should return the stone to the US after you propose. Yes, it is nice to have it all done with one vendor, but I am not sure how taxes work and how much hassle that would be for you. You can always set it locally, if you don't want to ship it back. Just make sure that the stone is insured before a jeweler handles it for protection. I buy my stones in the US and have had other jewelers set them, you don't have to stick with the same vendor. It would, however, be best if you could find out her ring size, at least approximately. Perhaps you can hold her hand and see how close her ring size is to your pinky. And go with an approximate size based on that. Or ask her mom/sister/friend to try on some of their rings, if possible.

rockysalamander

Ideal_Rock
Premium
All the stones PS member recommend will be eye clean or have a note/comment to inquire with the vendor or request a video if we have a question. In my experience, the kind, colour, and location of an inclusion matters as to its visibility. I've seen SI1 that were just as eye-clean as VS. So, we all look at that and will give you prompts to consider. The other benefit of a PS vendor, it that most of them have a 30-day return period (check each policy though to be sure).

You can get the forever setting from the diamond vendor or someone else. The style, metal and cost will really determine what is sensible. I have a cousin based in Italy who worked with a US jeweller to make a setting based on very precise stone measurments. They came state-side for a vacation, dropped the ring off to the jeweller at the beginning and picked it back up all set at the end. Lots of ways to make something work.

SimoneDi

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh I just saw that you found a ring that is a size 5. If size 5 is her middle finger, then her ring finger is probably arount a 4. Are you certain about the size of the ring you found? Another way, do you her height, weight and shoe size? :cool2:

Redgram

Rough_Rock
Perhaps you all can enlighten me on something... in a lot of the images and videos of various diamonds, I see small white specks on diamonds that are VS2 or better. Are these inclusions or am I just seeing strange reflection or lighting?

For example, when I watch this video, I see tiny white specks on the head (some around the girdle as well) of the diamond. It's a bit more apparent when the head is facing the camera and slightly to the left.

EllieTO

Shiny_Rock
Premium

That doesn't sound right (size 5 middle finger). My ring finger (on my smaller hand, because my two hands are 1/2 size different, which is common) is size 4, and my middle finger is 6 - 6.25. If her middle finger was 5, her ring finger would be a 3-something, which is very rare. Is she a very very tiny lady, like under 100 lb? If not, then I would guess size 5 is her ring finger, not middle finger. That's still a pretty small size. .... Or, it's possible that the ring you found is not a 5 at all. How did you determine the size? In any case, it's sounding very risky for you to buy "the" ring without more reliable info.

Other than Victor Canera, some of the biggest names in hand forged rings, specifically pave work, are Leon Mege, Steven Kirsch and Maytal Hannah. You should know that some of them may not set an outside diamond, I know VC and LM prefer not to, and those that would do it, you may have to cover insurance during the setting. You definitely would NOT buy an empty setting from any of them and have a local jeweller set your diamond into it. So, the only way I see this working for you within your timeline and as a total surprise, is to have a decent approximation of her ring size and get an in-stock half-eternity ring, like what I posted earlier from VC. Another option, if you look into these vendors further and decide it's what you really want, is to ask them if they will send you the stone you pick from their inventory in a temp setting, then return it for the final design later. I'm not sure if this is commonly done with these guys, but it's up to you if you want to ask. Sending it back and forth shouldn't affect the taxes you pay if they do the invoices & paperwork correctly.

EllieTO

Shiny_Rock
Premium

Sorry, but I totally disagree. This is a 6-prong, while the Novo is 4-prong. Also, the Novo has a cathedral shank and not the Tiffany-style basket. I'm not sure how picky OP's lady is regarding that specific setting, or what it is about it that she likes, but if that's all he has to go on, I would be safe and stick to a 4-prong with hopefully a cathedral shank and basket similar to the Novo. After all, she didn't pick the Tiffany setting.

rockysalamander

Ideal_Rock
Premium
These white spots? Making the assumption that the stone does not have dust on it... Those are inclusions in the diamond. This diamond is graded with "clouds not shown". A cloud is a pinprick inclusion which is a tiny inclusion. These are pretty diffuse and difficult to detect. They did plot the one on the girdle area, which you can see if you mess around with the image. But, that will be placed under a prong and be invisible. The c-like swoop at 4'oclock in the center circle is a feather per the inclusion plot (see below).

Remember, you are looking VERY VERY Magnified. IRL, this diamond is only 8.15 mm across. With a VS1 rating by AGS -- these are not an issue for performance.

upload_2017-8-16_19-54-25.png
upload_2017-8-16_19-58-38.png

For reference, the following image is also a VS1 rated diamond. This inclusion is more concentrated a would be something I'd want a gemologist to review.
upload_2017-8-16_20-4-24.png

Attachments

• upload_2017-8-16_16-4-27.png
    upload_2017-8-16_16-4-27.png
    154.9 KB · Views: 15
  • upload_2017-8-16_19-52-4.png
    upload_2017-8-16_19-52-4.png
    138.6 KB · Views: 14
  • upload_2017-8-16_20-3-54.png
    upload_2017-8-16_20-3-54.png
    181.6 KB · Views: 13

rockysalamander

Ideal_Rock
Premium
If those clouds bother you, here are a few VVS (which is overkill), as you said you have budget flexibility. This is an expensive choice for something one can't see with bare eyes, but there is something called "mind clean" that is important for some.

1.806 G VVS1 ACA $25218. https://www.whiteflash.com/loose-diamonds/round-cut-loose-diamond-3855501.htm

1.822, F VVVS1, ACA, $31242.https://www.whiteflash.com/loose-diamonds/round-cut-loose-diamond-3864679.htm

2.04 F VVS2 ACA $41688. https://www.whiteflash.com/loose-diamonds/round-cut-loose-diamond-3797678.htm {this has some clouds too,although fewer and less obvious under magnification...thus the VVS not VS}

EDITED TO ADD: So...give us some direction if you want more stone options or if you are ready to run away for all the "help"

SimoneDi

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Sorry, but I totally disagree. This is a 6-prong, while the Novo is 4-prong. Also, the Novo has a cathedral shank and not the Tiffany-style basket. I'm not sure how picky OP's lady is regarding that specific setting, or what it is about it that she likes, but if that's all he has to go on, I would be safe and stick to a 4-prong with hopefully a cathedral shank and basket similar to the Novo. After all, she didn't pick the Tiffany setting.

I happened to link the 6 prong version (which I like better) but they also have a 4 prong and the head is the easiest customizable feature. We are talking about pavè style..no matter how close it is, it won't be a Tiffany ring, so I see no point in replicating it exactly, unless that specifically has been requested by his significant other. Ultimately, in this case, I think that OP will be better off sticking with a temp setting and later in choosing one with his fiancé vs gambling on her ring size now.

Last edited:

flyingpig

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I happened to link the 6 prong version (which I like better) but they also have a 4 prong and the head is the easies customizable feature. We are talking about pavè style..no matter how close it is, it l won't be a Tiffany ring, so I see no point in replicating it exactly, unless that is specifically been requested by his significant other. Ultimately, in this case, I think that OP will be better off sticking with a temp setting and later in choosing one with his fiancé vs gambling on her ring size now.

When you google or do search on ebay "Tiffany Novo", you get two styles. One is catheral, and the other is non-catheral with Tiffany style 4 prong basket. I am not too familiar with Tiffany settings, and this has confused people time to time.

foxinsox

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I can't answer how common it is to propose with a stand in ring but if you do, I would make it a cartoonishly obvious not-an-engagement ring. You could use the diamond but a loose diamond, even a 2ct, is still a small and easily lost thing and that would be terrible.
The proposal and engagement ring are part of you starting your life together. You including her in the selection and design of such an important symbol of your shared future would be a really amazing signal to her that you value her opinion and desires as much as your own. I would be over the moon to be proposed to this way.
It also serves the utterly practical purpose of helping you actually give her the ring that she will be utterly delighted by instead of you having to guess and hope you get it right in the short time frame you have. You could still do lots of research and show her the things you were thinking of but if she's not mentioned it a lot before and you've canvassed her friends without it giving you a super clear idea of what she likes, this would really help you get it right especially if you think she would enjoy being part of designing "your" ring together. .

FYI I chose my ring myself - there's actually another thread going on right now about this topic in Hangout if you're interested to get some different points of view.

EllieTO

Shiny_Rock
Premium
When you google or do search on ebay "Tiffany Novo", you get two styles. One is catheral, and the other is non-catheral with Tiffany style 4 prong basket. I am not too familiar with Tiffany settings, and this has confused people time to time.

Ooops, that's right. I never noticed the other type of Novo. Sorry SimoneDi. :oops2: And for what it's worth, I also much prefer 6 prongs over 4. :P2

SimoneDi

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ooops, that's right. I never noticed the other type of Novo. Sorry SimoneDi. :oops2: And for what it's worth, I also much prefer 6 prongs over 4. :P2
No apologies needed =)2 I think OP has plenty of options, looking forward to seeing what he picks :)

Redgram

Rough_Rock
Thanks you for the clarification on the inclusions! I'm assuming I can request WF (or any of the other online shops) to have a gemologist inspect the diamond for me? Or am I getting a local gemologist to do this for me once it arrives? What's important for me is that the inclusions are not visible to the naked eye, including an up-close inspection. But if the inclusions are only visible with a loupe then that's acceptable to me.

If you have other diamond suggestions, please continue to share. =)2 I'm set on a minimum of 2ct, best cut possible (hearts and arrows), no inclusions visible to the naked eye, and no obvious yellow tint (I think I can go as far as I?).

I would love my girlfriend to be part of the decision process but I also really want the proposal to be a surprise and I know that she would appreciate this. As such, it seems like I might have to get a simple solitaire and then do some back and forth shipping? Of course, that would still mean that I'd be limited to the original vendor's settings. I'm starting to really wish we did some hypothetical ring shopping a lot earlier in our relationship... truth be told, I'm even starting to second guess if she would prefer a diamond shape other than round.

To answer the other questions...
  • The Tiffany Novo that I was referring to is the one with the four prongs and the cathedral shank. Six prongs are very nice though.
  • I determined the size of the ring by having a ring size template printout handy. I also made the assumption that she wouldn't wear regular rings on her ring finger but she is indeed quite small (she usually wears XS size clothes).

foxinsox

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm starting to really wish we did some hypothetical ring shopping a lot earlier in our relationship... truth be told, I'm even starting to second guess if she would prefer a diamond shape other than round.
ASK HER! :mrgreen2:or propose with a non-diamond ring and then go forth and build the ring together..

The proposal and your sweet words will be the surprise (as well as your generous budget with which to build the ring)

rockysalamander

Ideal_Rock
Premium
You would ask the vendor's gemologist to review the stone and any concentrated inclusions and give their expert eyeball on if it will present a visual problem upon close inspection. On the carat size (which is weight) a 1.9 is 2 carats if you round. Everyone rounds!

Also, most of the vendors will have generous return policies (read carefully about set stones vs unset though). Yes, there may be some sending of the ring back and forth. But, like I said, where you send it for it's forever setting may not be the original vendors. There are many excellent designers that specialize. So, once she had a design in mind, we can send you in that direction.

With all your feedback, here are the ones I would focus on in order of what I think are the best balances. Several of the other stones in the thread (like the nice BGD one) are sold.

#1. WF, 1.912, F VS2, $25303usd. https://www.whiteflash.com/loose-diamonds/round-cut-loose-diamond-3802920.htm (ask the gemologist to inspect the feather and crystal and reassure you that they won't be visible on close inspection face up and from the side--as she would see the stone in a setting) This is the best bet for size with very white color that will raise no worries about tint or seeing from the side.

#2. HPD 2.10 H, VS2, $27878, http://www.hpdiamonds.com/en-us/diamonddetail/HPD7015 (ask for a video and for Wink to walk you through the stone)

#3. WF, 2.052 I, VS1, $20,904. https://www.whiteflash.com/loose-diamonds/round-cut-loose-diamond-3849909.htm {this is the one with the clouds, so ask the gemologist to review it as described above; the color is the only question as to if you or your GF might be bothered}

#4. 1.806 G VVS1 ACA $25218. https://www.whiteflash.com/loose-diamonds/round-cut-loose-diamond-3855501.htm

#5. 1.822, F VVVS1, ACA, $31242.https://www.whiteflash.com/loose-diamonds/round-cut-loose-diamond-3864679.htm

You can place a diamond on 24 hours reserve by calling or emailing the vendor. Both vendors above may be able to ship the diamond to you for inspection and still have time to set it.

Redgram

Rough_Rock
I noticed that there are several other diamonds available on WF via Virtual Selection. Is there a major downside to these?

Any thoughts on these? I think I'll be okay with an 'I' but I really want to make sure that no inclusions are visible to an up-close inspection.

#1. 2.088 I VS1 $24,600
http://www.briangavindiamonds.com/diamonds/diamond-details/2.088-i-vs1-round-diamond-ags-104093730063

#2. 2.013 H VS2 $27,593
http://www.briangavindiamonds.com/diamonds/diamond-details/2.013-h-vs2-round-diamond-ags-104050449012

#3. 2.18 I VS1 $24,365
http://www.hpdiamonds.com/en-us/diamonddetail/HPD8621

#4. 2.07 I VS1 $23,135
http://www.hpdiamonds.com/en-us/diamonddetail/HPD7882

#5 2.023 I VS2 $21,212.85
https://www.victorcanera.com/diamonds/ags104092411002-2.023-i-vs2-ideal-hearts-arrows-round

#6. 2.197 I VVS2 $24,405
https://www.victorcanera.com/diamonds/ags104091157001-2.197-i-vvs2-ideal-hearts-arrows-round

I'm not sure if it's the videos but the VC ones seem to exhibit more yellow tint. Aside from that, the VC 2.197 looks great. Is there something that I'm missing?

Redgram

Rough_Rock
Also, most of the vendors will have generous return policies (read carefully about set stones vs unset though). Yes, there may be some sending of the ring back and forth. But, like I said, where you send it for it's forever setting may not be the original vendors. There are many excellent designers that specialize. So, once she had a design in mind, we can send you in that direction.

This is great to know! It's looking very likely that I'll go with a temporary solitaire setting and then figure out the final setting after the proposal (assuming she says yes!).

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results