shape
carat
color
clarity

Advice between two diamonds

fjhernandez195

Rough_Rock
Hey all,

I'm shopping for a loose diamond on JamesAllen. I've been doing a lot of research online about diamonds, ideal proportions, 4c's, etc. with that said my knowledge on this matter is minimal. I've found two diamonds that caught my eye and I'd like to hear your input. Here we go...

Diamond #1 - $6,750

link to diamond --> https://www.jamesallen.com/loose-diamonds/round-cut/1.30-carat-h-color-si2-clarity-excellent-cut-sku-1989307

SHAPE: Round
CARAT WEIGHT: 1.30
COLOR: H
CLARITY: SI2
CUT: Excellent
POLISH: Excellent
SYMMETRY: Excellent
FLUORESCENCE: Faint
L/W/D (MM): 7.03*7.00*4.33

L/W RATIO: 1.00
DEPTH %: 61.70
GIRDLE: Thin - Medium
TABLE %: 59.00
CULET: None
CERTIFICATE: GIA
CROWN ∠: 35.00
CROWN %: 14.50
PAVILION ∠: 41.20

PAVILION %: 43.50

****My concern here is the pavilion angle. Most of the guidelines i've seen say 40.3-41 - Does 41.2 make a significant difference?

Diamond #2 - Price $6,850

link to diamond --> https://www.jamesallen.com/loose-diamonds/round-cut/1.20-carat-h-color-si1-clarity-excellent-cut-sku-2208959

SHAPE: Round
CARAT WEIGHT: 1.20
COLOR: H
CLARITY: SI1
CUT: Excellent
POLISH: Excellent
SYMMETRY: Excellent
FLUORESCENCE: None
L/W/D (MM): 6.90*6.94*4.13

L/W RATIO: 1.01
DEPTH %: 59.60
GIRDLE: Thin - Medium
TABLE %: 59.00
CULET: None
CERTIFICATE: GIA
CROWN ∠: 33.00
CROWN %: 13.00
PAVILION ∠: 41.00

PAVILION %: 43.00

****I kind of like that it's a shallower diamond but does the crown angle, pavilion angle and table complement each other?

I think I like Diamond #2 better but I would appreciate some advice. Thank you!

Aurora43

Rough_Rock
I like diamond #2 better as well. While I am not an expert, I am sure you will get replies from those who are much more knowledgeable about diamonds than me. However, are my eyes fooling me or do both diamonds seem to have scratches on them? Now I am curious as to what those are and I'll be following this thread to get an answer from someone who might know.

Sagefemme

Shiny_Rock
Not everyone loves the Holloway Cut Advisor

https://www.pricescope.com/tools/hca

but I think it would confirm your concerns about diamond #1. It scores a 4 on the HCA which means "reject unless price (cheaper) is your highest priority." The SI2 is an additional problem (potentially). There is a reason stone #1 is cheaper even though it's bigger than stone #2.

n64bomb

Rough_Rock
Trade
Number 2 is the better on paper. I am concerned about the knot on number 2. I would want a gemologist to inspect the knot and the twinning wisps to check for transparency issues and eye cleanliness. If that passed, then I would be ok with it. It depends here on how much of an "eagle eye" you and your bride to be are, as the knot might be easily visible. Also, that gia report says the report is subject to additional clouds and twinning wisps, so it makes me very scared of transparency issues with the stone. Also, how noticeable is that big table inclusion? Another question I would want to have answered.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results