shape
carat
color
clarity

"Additional clouds not shown"...

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Laila619

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi all,

This is a question for a friend of mine.

He is interested in buying an ideal cut AGS 0 stone and found what looks to be a nice one in his budget. It''s a G color SI 1. The only inclusions are crystals and clouds. The plot looks pretty clean, barely anything. On the cert it reads "additional clouds not shown." Is this problematic for an SI 1 clarity grade? Thanks!

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 11/6/2009 5:14:10 PM
Author:Laila619
Hi all,

This is a question for a friend of mine.

He is interested in buying an ideal cut AGS 0 stone and found what looks to be a nice one in his budget. It's a G color SI 1. The only inclusions are crystals and clouds. The plot looks pretty clean, barely anything. On the cert it reads 'additional clouds not shown.' Is this problematic for an SI 1 clarity grade? Thanks!
Only if the clarity grade is based on clouds could it be an issue Laila, sounds as if it is as you mention crystals and clouds so get the vendor or an appraiser to check to make sure the clouds aren't impacting performance, rare but best to check.

Normally if it says clouds not shown or additional clouds not shown in the comments section of the report, this usually isn't an issue. If it says clarity grade is based on clouds either in the comments section or clouds are drawn on the clarity plot for SI grades, then these warrant careful checking.

Laila619

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Lorelei,

He told me the gemologist said the clouds not shown don''t affect performance at all. But he is skeptical because they want to sell a diamond. They are not going to say, actually the clouds make this stone a dud! Ya know?

stone-cold11

Super_Ideal_Rock
if the vendor has a good return policy, get him to hire his own independent appraiser to look at the stone for him. Reputable vendor also do not want their names to be tarnish for such small gains, also if they mis-represents, he still have a return period right? Assuming the vendor has a return period? Then the vendor will be making a loss in the transaction.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 11/6/2009 5:28:17 PM
Author: Laila619
Lorelei,

He told me the gemologist said the clouds not shown don't affect performance at all. But he is skeptical because they want to sell a diamond. They are not going to say, actually the clouds make this stone a dud! Ya know?
Depends on the vendor, one of the trusted online vendors would be completely honest as you know but if he is purchasing from an unknown source then tell him to make sure he has a return policy ( and get it in writing) and to seek an independant appraisal from an appraiser who doesn't sell jewellery.

appraiser tool

30yearsofdiamonds

Shiny_Rock
Trade
I agree that the term "Additional" usually means inclusions higher in clarity degree that are not in the best interest of plotting but need to be mentioned by the lab as an additional identification aspect. I don''t know about AGS but if they follow the lead of GIA when it says "clouds" that refers to small individual areas if it says "additional cloud throughout" or just "cloud throughout", then it is through the entire stone. The killer would be for VS2 and below stones that say "Based on cloud throughout stone not shown"

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results