shape
carat
color
clarity

Adding a euro shank?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

lovesparkles

Rough_Rock
Hi everyone,
Is it possible to add a euro shank to a designer setting that doesn''t normally have one?
-lovesparkles

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
What do you mean????? If the shank is not right tahn what is left of the setting would be... what? As far as I know, these setings are produced as is, so, if you want some modification this may mean having you ring custom made... I supose.

Anyway, I hope you will find better help at Pricescope (most do) and some more details would not hurt!
wavey.gif

lovesparkles

Rough_Rock
I _need_ the vatche x-prong. I've been in love with it since day 1 of my ring search (1.5 years long!!!).

But I'm worried that a 1.5-2 carat stone will have a tendency to tilt sideways, so I'd like a euro shank in my dream world.

Can it be added after the fact?

lovesparkles

Rough_Rock
Maybe I'm using the wrong term?

I'm looking for a squared-off bottom of the ring

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Aha...my guess is NO, but it is not impossible for a jeweler to achieve that profile through some other method than replacing the shank. However, this is really up to YOUR jeweler. Until present, not too many Pricescope dwelers came with technical questions about settings, but there are a couple of professionals around here who could indicate what and how can be acieved. Anyway, there are quite a few owners of large rings around here who could testify wether their 2ct+ rings keep tilting in every direction or not. I don't have such a diamond ring, but I do have large rings (large, as in over 30ct of something colored) and no trouble with them. A 2 ct should not tilt around if a 30 doesn't on a 4 size middle finger! The ring is well sized and the head does match the top of my finger (and more) so there is no room for it to tilt. Another, 4+ ct stone (a garnet) also stays in place (and this is smaller than my finger, so there is room). But, you don't have to listen to me, just call your jeweler (or a couple of them if you don't have a 'default' one) and ask if they can put a flat bottom to a Vatche setting. It should work. Otherwise, why not have it custom-made entirely? I guess you could ask about this alternative after some jeweler migh say 'NOPE' to the first Q. Just my penny worth...

hoorray

Ideal_Rock
I have a 2+c RB on a simple setting, and it tilts constantly. My previous setting had a squared shank and sat in place nicely. (It also had side diamonds that fit to the width of my finger, so that helped keep it from sliding also, I assume). If I was doing it again (which hubby says I'm not
2.gif
), I would make sure I had a sqared shank.

I don't know if you can add it to an existing setting. I don't know how they would do that cleanly, but if you find out, I'd love to know!

fuffi

Shiny_Rock
You could also have 2 small sizing beads put in but these may not be as comfortable as one would like.

diamondlil

Ideal_Rock
Hi Lovesparkes. I have a 2 ct diamond and if I put on my ering without my wedding band, it turns constantly. I think the width of the ering and wedding band together keeps both pieces locked in place and right-side up. I think if my ering were a little wider (it's only about 1.5 or 2 mm), it might stay put better, but the shank is relatively thin, and I think that is why it moves around.

I've heard the squared off bottom helps a top-heavy ring stay in place very well. I would make sure you get a squared bottom on your wedding ring too if you plan to wear them together, just so they match and fit together nicely.

Diamondlil

oldminer

Ideal_Rock
Trade
A euro shank is not a cure-all, but it may keep some rings from turning so readily. When you buy a designer ring, it is sort of a waste to spend the extra for the designer's design and then chop it up with a tacked on shank. This is the kind of thing that distresses the artisitic designer....And makes me think you may need a custom ring made "in the style of" the designer you like, but with this modification built into the design from the very beginning....

That is what "custom" is all about. It will probably not cost more to do it the way you wish to have it done, but you will need extra time and a little patience to get it right.

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi!

Diamonddil, Iop, I was quite surprised to hear that your rings feel so different than mine! I was not joking about those tame huge rings, but, after you comments made me wander, I guess the cut of those colored stones makes all the difference: the largest is a 'camel back' (sort of saddle, with large, rather flat base and a ridge on top) and the Tsavorite is a fancy too, cut on demand (so no name) to look like.... sort of a faceted lentil. In consequence, those rings are very stable. I would not have imagined that a RBC could get out of balance on the finger at so much less bulk! I am glad that my honest mistake did not mislead after all.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results